Beggars at Gare du Nord

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KrIVIUM2323
Je vous remercie pour votre perspicacité politique et vos connaissances locales.

I think that the shop manager intervened because he saw, not only someone in difficulty, but his clients being driven away by harassment.  I think that the cafe owners will be the ones who complain.

DaveP

Thank you Dave,
It s always interesting for me to have point of view of non french native people about my country.
About my view this a point of view amongst others, and i know i am not at all representative of anything politicaly related to the situation in France.
My own idea are not even existant in the french political scene.

Except for this kind of issues what do you think of the life in our country now you have some time spent here as an habitant?

ruffrecords said:
I would not like to say what their ethnicity was but they were dressed in clothes I would associate with eastern europe. For some reason they were all carrying dolls dressed like babies.

I can't say it's true, but several tourist resources warn of babies being tossed at you to catch while someone grabs your belongings.  That would be those dolls, possibly.  I have seen the fake arm holding a real baby, while the hidden arm reaches out the back to pickpocket while strolling. 

Except for this kind of issues what do you think of the life in our country now you have some time spent here as an inhabitant?
I don't think that life in the French countryside where I am bears much resemblance to life in the cities. but I find the low population density here a very pleasant change from the UK.  The pace of life here is much slower and the countryside is absolutely beautiful and unspoiled.  It reminds me of life in England in the 50's, which is why I love it so much.

I love the politeness  and the formal greetings which make life easier for un Anglais to fit in.  I only know 3 French people here who speak English so speaking French is obligatory, you would be a rarity here!  The bureaucracy here can be a pain, but once it is done it does make you feel part of the country.  The internet has not caught on here as much as the UK, I know a 99 year old in the UK who emails his daughter every morning to tell her he is still alive! :eek:

I find the fact that so many still use cheques amazing until I realised that banks charge for bank cards over here, so it saves 45 euros/year.
The internet is faster here than the UK so I can watch Netflix, which is just as well as I would not understand most of French TV.

The weather is much better overall with much less wind than the UK, lots of clear blue skies and sunshine, but cold nights.  I live on the massif central, so it never gets too hot in the summer and there is no possibility of flooding.  I have to pay for health insurance here but it's affordable and the Carte Vitale seems to work OK.  I pay much less local tax than the UK which cancels out the cost of health insurance.

What do I miss about the UK?  Speaking English, my kids and white lines on all the roads.  But I will never go back because this feels more like home now.

I have one-to-one French lessons every week for conversation and I find that very interesting because so much is the same as English  but the meanings have drifted  apart over the years, this must be the same for you.  Because there are so many accents in different parts of the UK, we are very tolerant of variable vowel sounds, this does not exist to the same extent in French.  English words are mostly finished off with a consonant so I find French words with lots of vowel endings troublesome.  I find "grenouille" the most difficult, but it does not come up much in normal conversation! ;)

This is the view from the back of my house, et pourquoi  j'adore La France.  If this view existed in the UK, I could not afford to live there!

bg34t5.jpg

Best
DaveP

I've had this happen at Paddington station (London) previously. I was told (or asked) to go to an ATM to get more cash. I made it very clear that wasn't happening.

Beggars of this type can see a soft touch person a mile away. It's gross that they exploit that.

Back