Behringer ADA8000 modifications..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No time to read the whole thread, but aside from the pair of 1176's I'm putting together now, I'll be modding a 3rd ADA8000 over the next couple weeks. Gotta go gather the components and then I can have at it.

I'll document it thuroughly, photo, and also record some audio samples both stock and modded.

One mod I intend to impliment is a direct pass to line out from pre in's.

So irritating to have to loop the lightpipe to do this right now, and pass AD/DA to do it.

It's nice to have these guys to accept mic level in and pass to line out, but seems destructive to pass AD/DA to accomplish this.

We'll see what I come up with.

Also just obtained a pair of 'composers'? with the SSL chips.

My guy grabbed em, haven't picked em up yet, not exactly sure what they are or what the crap he means by SSL chips, but I'll dig in and see what's what.

I'm gonna have to read this whole thread and see what you guys are doing and compare mine :)

I got an ADA8000 for free from local PA-company, they don't need it anymore.

Now, I need that only as a 8-channel standalone pre, WITHOUT that ADAT-loop.

So, how do you make it? I mean how to connect mic inputs directly to front panel line input as an output?
(I don't need line inputs)

That's exactly what I was just saying.

The input and output are completely seperate in this thing.

So, in order to use the Pre/Line in, and pass to the Line outs, you have to plug a Lightpipe cable into the output, and right back in to the input.

That's the only way...... Unless you mod it.

I still haven't cracked it open to study it again, but I'm sure this wouldn't be too dificult.

But I'll be putting this on a switch so that if you're using both 'sides' of the system, you can switch it off so the pre/line ins wouldn't be combined with the optical in.

Shouldn't be too tough.

We'll see.

Shorty said:
That's exactly what I was just saying.

The input and output are completely seperate in this thing.

So, in order to use the Pre/Line in, and pass to the Line outs, you have to plug a Lightpipe cable into the output, and right back in to the input.

That's sort of the whole point of this thing. It's not mean to be a standalone 8-channel mic preamp with analog line outs.

-a

Boys, I thought this was a DIY/mod-forum...

Anyway, I'm still looking for a good/clear info about modding it to a standalone pre. I bet someone has done it.

seems like a lot of hassle to me, think of it as a rack of 8 pres

and

a rack of 8 outs both connected to your computer.

you can join them, but whats the point? internally the circuits are separate to my knowledge

Iain

Not done this and like Andy Peters already said, this box is not built for this purpose, but ...
From this part of the schematic lift the left side of both 1K1 resistors (part of the pad with the 470R shunt in front of the A/D converter) to get rid of this load. Lift the right side of both 220R resistors before XLR out (TL07x are current limited internally, so I see little use in keeping them). Join the output of the 1st op-amp (now free hole of the upper 1K1 resistor) with a 47uF cap to XLR-pin2 or the freed up hole of the lifted lower 220R. Join the output of the 2nd op-amp (now free hole of the lower 1K1 resistor) with a 47uF cap to XLR-pin3 or the other now open hole. You may place 47K resistors between XLR-pin2/gnd and XLR-pin3/gnd to keep the 47uF from an open leg condition when your box is disconnected from the following stage. Done, but at the cost of AD and DA out of circuit.

these are smd boxes so its a wee bit harder, still cant see why, the pres are ok, but I would make better for not much more ???

confused.com I am

all this trouble for Behringer pres? That's the weakest point of the ada8000. That's what this whole thread was started for, trying to get around the mic pres. (or am I thinking of another ada8000 mod thread?)

My use for these is in live recording.... where I use a 32 Channel Pro Tools Mix System with interfaces that are all line in.

In some situations, where I am recording in some high end venues, everything is on Klark splitters or the like, and all I can get is a mic level feed, and so I have to convert down to line level.

These boxes are a really inexpensive way to do so, especially when you're talking about 32 channels. Splitters and pre's can be really expensive.

I have used it looped via lightpipe to get my line outs, and it works ok, I'd just like to avoid AD/DA to do so.

Interesting how boring functional these units are...
Some buy them to bypass the not stellar pre's and others want to keep just these ...
Funny... (I couldn't resist to comment, because I did not expect the discussion to enter this direction anytime...)
;-)

I used to have one. I always wanted to bypass the pres. I used it for an 8 channel tracking room mix. And also recorded stuff with it. Ridiculously good for the price. But the price is almost free. So take that into consideration.

John

Hmm, I got my two ADATs, but three channels are "humming", giving noise at around 60hz. What can cause it? Is it expensive to repair?

uhappo said:
Hmm, I got my two ADATs, but three channels are "humming", giving noise at around 60hz. What can cause it? Is it expensive to repair?

Same with me, except it's in all the channels but 8, and it's so loud the other channels are unusable...

It gets louder as I turn up the pre's, so will bypassing the pre's making the noise go away?

I'll be honest. I don't feel like reading this whole thread but can someone tell me if it's actually possible to get these things to sound ok?

smallbutfine said:
Interesting how boring functional these units are...
Some buy them to bypass the not stellar pre's and others want to keep just these ...
Funny... (I couldn't resist to comment, because I did not expect the discussion to enter this direction anytime...)
;-)

I was just thinking exactly the same!

By the way did anyone ever found a nice way to bypass the Mic Pres on this circuit??

Latest posts

Back