Behringer B2 Pro mods?

Help Support GroupDIY:

melodnb

Nah, I ended up just taking the capsule out to keep for awhile and maybe put into something else.  While I prefered the sound something about it just didn't feel right about it was responding to sound.  I ended up getting rid of a lot of gear that had been lying around, tons of mics, mostly cheap stuff like es57's.  I ended up buying a blue baby bottle after borrowing one from my coworker.  It's pretty much the perfect mic for me.   

Hope you get your capsule thing figured out, I just kinda gave up because I realized that I could mod the thing until the end of time but never really be happy with it. 

Icantthinkofaname

Bumping because I still haven't done anything with the mic. If I wanted to upgrade the transistors which *easily available* ones would be good to lower the self noise?

I'm actually just trying to sell the mic right now. I might set some time aside to swap the capsules and possibly transistor.

EDIT: Only one transistor in the mic. Replacing this with a lower noise FET should help self noise a bit right?

Icantthinkofaname

kingkorg said:
Green is the k47 we mention here, Red is Dave Pearlman k47, Blue is Dale's M7.
Are your measurements in Cardioid, Figure 8, or Omni? I'm considering ordering some of iSK's K47 capsules, and I want to know what to expect.

Aref

Hi,
Still can't find a good topic related to lowering the b2 self-noise.
I need it as a Side mic in M/S recording.
Akg p400 seems to have a similar noise range, but someone posted an easy mod to cure the high freqs.
Any idea?

kingkorg

Not sure what noise level you are after. I haven't had issue with it's noise.

However the path between capsule and fet is quite long. So that might be an issue, or just simply noisy fet. Maybe try some VLN type, like the one used in NT1.

shabtek

Icantthinkofaname said:
Bumping this because I have a couple B2 Pros coming that I'm putting Oktava MK-220 capsules in. I'll post the results.
do these octavas do better with higher polarization voltage?

kingkorg

I have never measured any difference in sound when it comes to pol. voltage. I would call that one a myth. Maybe close to collapsing voltage, but not usual values. I have not noticed difference even at 100v.

With higher voltage you get better s/n and higher level at FET input, so the mic can't take as much SPL. That's it.

kingkorg

I have tried Oktava, edge terminated like rk12, different k67, k47, sdc mxl603, and edge terminated from 797. I tried oktava from 36 to 60v. Made no difference.

ubxf

I noticed that you have a polystyrene cap going to the fet instead of keeping it inside the black box. Is it to shorten the path? I'm about to replace the 2 ceramic caps and i was going to keep the new ones in the same place. Do you recommend a different configuration

kingkorg said:
Not sure what noise level you are after. I haven't had issue with it's noise.

However the path between capsule and fet is quite long. So that might be an issue, or just simply noisy fet. Maybe try some VLN type, like the one used in NT1.

kingkorg

I have totally rewired those mics so that i can swap different topologies easier. I didn't go for lower noise as i haven't had that issue.