Best affordable U47 Body?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly. I keep a soft tissue in my case and wipe it up each time I use it.

Beesneez sells a version for Binder connectors, I made one for a guy. using this body. High end quality and beautiful but totally different price range...
Beesneez U47 DIY body kit

Hey there - resurrecting an old thread, but did you use a pcb or is this a point to point build? Do you know if the Beesneez body fit the poctop/vintagemicrophonepcbkit D-47 PCBs?

Hey there - resurrecting an old thread, but did you use a pcb or is this a point to point build? Do you know if the Beesneez body fit the poctop/vintagemicrophonepcbkit D-47 PCBs?
It might need some creative mounting methods like zip ties, but it is 60mm like all the long body 47 clones so should at least fit inside. Personally I think their swivel mount looks goofy (I am usually partial to hard mounts) and there's no cutout for the pattern switch, which IMO makes it look a bit off to me. At that price just contact Dany Bouchard/poctop for one of his neat looking bodies. I think he has swivels for those.

I ordered this U47 body and shock mount from Aliexpress. The look and quality are ok. However, as described above the metal of the body is rather untreated and quite sensitive to fingerprints. Further, the body appears to be somewhat resonant when I tap it. I hope that this does not lead to problems. The shock mount is decent and should do its job. Considering a price of 140 EUR (incl. shipping to Europe) the value isn’t bad. While I prefer the quality of the U47 FET body I received from China, I’m still looking forward to use the long body to build a U47 style tube mic. The classic look (on a budget) is appreciated.

IMG_0080.jpeg

Last edited:
Resurrecting an old thread but was anyone able to confirm whether the SCT2000 fits Dany/poctops PCB for the 47 build? The dimensions listed by Thomann are 60x205mm. I'm doing a build and it would be ideal to get one of those given it comes with the PSU. Any help is much appreciated!

The SCT2000's pcb mounting holes are about 40mm across the width of the mic, and about 42.5mm along the height.

Hi Khron, thanks for the reply. I haven't got the octopop pcb yet so can't confirm whether that will work - I'm looking at the build guide but am not seeing any measurements on the mounting holes. Do you or anyone else know whether those measurements line up with Dany's pcb? I saw in the U47 fet thread he had that it seemed that PCB would work with the SCT but hard to find info on the tube 47 build.

Also, can someone confirm whether the PSU that comes with the SCT2000 would work with a dual 6028 tube configuration? I have my dad helping me on this build and he has a BSc in electrical engineering and is pretty handy but said redesigning a PSU is probably a bit too far for him given he's getting on in age at this point.

Hi Khron, thanks for the reply. I haven't got the octopop pcb yet so can't confirm whether that will work - I'm looking at the build guide but am not seeing any measurements on the mounting holes. Do you or anyone else know whether those measurements line up with Dany's pcb? I saw in the U47 fet thread he had that it seemed that PCB would work with the SCT but hard to find info on the tube 47 build.

Also, can someone confirm whether the PSU that comes with the SCT2000 would work with a dual 6028 tube configuration? I have my dad helping me on this build and he has a BSc in electrical engineering and is pretty handy but said redesigning a PSU is probably a bit too far for him given he's getting on in age at this point.
For the Poctop D-47 Dual 408A Pentode Mic Kit -PSU PCB you need a larger housing. This SCT 2000 PSU enclosure works/is needed for builds like Dan's C12 or 251 PSU builds. The best way is to use the Mouser shopping cart provided by Dan on the web site. The shopping cart already includes the Hammond housing, which offers enough space for all parts such as the main board, choke, Toroid TX... and is also very very affordable in my opinion...

Attachments

• PXL_20230806_124325977.jpg
    PXL_20230806_124325977.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230805_091710563.jpg
    PXL_20230805_091710563.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
For the Poctop D-47 Dual 408A Pentode Mic Kit you need a larger housing. This SCT 2000 PSU enclosure works/is needed for builds like Dan's C12 or 251 PSU builds. The best way is to use the Mouser shopping cart provided by Dan on the web site. The shopping cart already includes the Hammond housing, which offers enough space for all parts such as the main board, choke, Toroid TX... and is also very very affordable in my opinion...
Hi Herbert, those mics look fantastic! Which body did you use for those?

Thanks for the info on the Mouser stuff, I was looking at that but clearly not carefully enough. So you didn't need to buy an additional chassis other than the Hammond housing thats already there?

I'm also actually thinking of doing the single tube DEF47 with the EF80 tube, does that change things regarding the SCT2000 body/PSU?

I also saw some fairly nice looking bodies on Ali Express which I could pick up if I could use the Hammond housing like you mentioned. Thanks a lot!

Body:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKmGH5AQuality is very good....
Some work is required to attach the circuit boards. But not a challenge... In the end it is the “perfect” body for it. No pattern switch hole on the Mic Body, correct for this build as the Pattern switch for driving the reed relay inside of the Mic is on the power supply.👍

The circuit board of the EF 80 Mic inside the microphone and the dual version have circuit boards of the same size, and the power supply circuit boards are also the same. The small, “half-round” tube socket part at a 90 degree angle is different. I would recommend read/work through all of the excellently illustrated instructions before ordering. Take your time and also go through the entire threads. In my opinion the construction is not very difficult. There are also excellent, affordable M7 or K47 style capsules available. In the end it is the “perfect” 47 body for this build. And as said the SCT 2000 PSU Case will not really fit these Poctop 47 PSU PCBs, that means not the EF80...and also not for the Dual 408A Version. These PSU SCT2000 housings work with the PSU PCBs in L - shaped size like from Poctops Elam251, C12, Matadors, MihiFuchs ones......
And yes, you need a good Drilling Machine,..Dremmel if you use this naked Hammond case.

Attachments

• PXL_20230729_170111813.jpg
    PXL_20230729_170111813.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230804_135947655.jpg
    PXL_20230804_135947655.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The original Western Electric 47 mike (many patents) housing was cast brass 6 lbs. Bet this had something to do with dampening unwanted microphonics.
The power supply box originally housed batteries!
If case resonances would be a problem could not the body be filled with dry silica sand, much like a transformer, minus the tar?
Why these power supplies with massive resistors, and big inductors, when solid state regulator can easily provide a stable voltage with micro volt noise?
What is the total mike power consumption, 5W? One of those boxes should easily be able feed a few mikes.
Plus for the toroidal, better have a pri-sec shield, and very low leakage current. Use shielded power cords.
Nothing wrong with using steel boxes.

Last edited:
Why these power supplies with massive resistors, and big inductors, when solid state regulator can easily provide a stable voltage with micro volt noise?
What is the total mike power consumption, 5W? One of those boxes should easily be able feed a few mikes.

Because uninformed blind fetishistic fanaticism? :D

I'm working on a PSU design where I use two wire wound power resistors to emulate vacuum rectifiers, using larger resistors to lower surface temps. Using simple parts, only one "big" capacitor. Adapted from mfg. app notes.

190V_PSU_.png

I'm working on a PSU design where I use two wire wound power resistors to emulate vacuum rectifiers, using larger resistors to lower surface temps. Using simple parts, only one "big" capacitor. Adapted from mfg. app notes.

View attachment 118663
I don't like using regulators that are specced for max in voltage of 40v & max out voltage of 37v to supply 190v. But maybe that's just me .......

Not a problem using LM317 with HV, been using it for 30+ years. Old app note had it controlling a 4kV vacuum tube.
You need a HV transistor in front of it, the zener limits the HV exposure on the 317 which only regulates the gate to source voltage.
I'm using this circuit with a 1.1kV output.
This is a very simple circuit, better options with an OP amp can also be used.

Last edited:
Body:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKmGH5AQuality is very good....
Some work is required to attach the circuit boards. But not a challenge... In the end it is the “perfect” body for it. No pattern switch hole on the Mic Body, correct for this build as the Pattern switch for driving the reed relay inside of the Mic is on the power supply.👍

The circuit board of the EF 80 Mic inside the microphone and the dual version have circuit boards of the same size, and the power supply circuit boards are also the same. The small, “half-round” tube socket part at a 90 degree angle is different. I would recommend read/work through all of the excellently illustrated instructions before ordering. Take your time and also go through the entire threads. In my opinion the construction is not very difficult. There are also excellent, affordable M7 or K47 style capsules available. In the end it is the “perfect” 47 body for this build. And as said the SCT 2000 PSU Case will not really fit these Poctop 47 PSU PCBs, that means not the EF80...and also not for the Dual 408A Version. These PSU SCT2000 housings work with the PSU PCBs in L - shaped size like from Poctops Elam251, C12, Matadors, MihiFuchs ones......
And yes, you need a good Drilling Machine,..Dremmel if you use this naked Hammond case.
Hi Herbert thank you for the thorough and informative response. I'll go for a couple of those bodies then (I want to make a stereo pair as I record in stereo reasonably often).

Do you know anything about stereo matching? Is there anything more to it than making sure the capsules are matched?

I will go through the build guides in more depth for sure, I've been reading through at the moment but I am fairly new to this sort of thing. It does seem a lot of fun though. Luckily I have experienced people on hand to help out.

What tools would you recommend for making this sort of build easier? So far I have a multimeter and soldering iron but I was going to get a finer tip for it. I also have a fair amount of standard tools as well. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back