Best mic for distorted electric guitars takes.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what's this fuss with microphones these days???
Aren't we all using POD's?

:green: :green: :green:

IMO, any discussion like this is really not worth alot without the context of the tune the guitar track is trying to fit in...

Jakob, do you have a bm3? Or anyone else? I have one, got it reribboned and its REALLY hifi sounding. not necessarily bad, but its not that typical dark ribbon sound at all, wondering if I stumbled into something cool by accident or if they are all like that?

is this discussion better suited for the brewery?

dave

The B&O BM-series are very good mics. I have several different types, mono and stereo versions. Well, they're low output, but other than that, they're really something. In this country you can often find them on flea markets for some 25? (though people are now starting to find out what it really is, so they're getting rarer..)

Jakob E.

have you found the high end to be a little more extended than most other ribbon mics? I like mine alot, that cable design isnt so great though, really prone to handling noise. My mic has a really nice extended top, much more than I am accostomed to with ribbon mics, fairly unique. People compare these to royer 121's for some reason, other than looking similar they really dont sound anything alike.

dave

RCA BK5 I read somewhere that these were originally designed for film work and because if its design and baffleing it could withstand the concussion of a 357 magnum at 1 meter sounds great shoved into the cone. the only ribbon I'd consider putting so close to the speaker

i like the beyer m130. same dual ribbon as m160 but w fig 8 pattern. but if there's a a ton of other racket in the room then i'll go m160.

i've eye'd some of those b&o's, would love to try one sometime.

Someone once showed me a technique where you put a U87 and an SM57 next to each other in front of the speaker so that their diaphragms are in the same plane and at the same distance from the speaker. I thought it sounded great.

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo Head - Mesa 4x12" Cabinet - G7 mic (Lindell Edition) with CEK-67 (stick it close to the cabinet in front of the upper right 12") - Vintech X73i.
muuuuuhaaaawawawawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Best metal sound..... :razz: (to bad you can't upload mp3's here)
d678bdc1.jpg

guitar-rec2.jpg

Get the 57 against the grill, back a coles 4038, or a 414 away from the cabinet until the 57 comes up in the monitors, alternativelyfor open cabinets phase the ambiance mic and try it behind the cabinet. I also have gotten some aggro ( and to some aggravating) sounds bussing the mic to 3 or four channels and experimenting with phase and pan until you comb filter out some good stufff and have pure badass left over. What fun, have an intern in headphones move the mics while you listen in the control room.

Lindell, Please send me via msn a mp3 of the guitars takes, I use a ela m 251 clon mic with standar marshall speaker and a messa clon modified.

We also use custom speakers, and the pre is a 1272 clon, modified.

Where can I get some more info about the fum ribbon mentioned earlier in this thread. Did I miss out on something?

I like omni's on guitar. If you want it to realy cut the track use an omni condenser. Good overall rythmn tone, use a nice omni dynamic. EV, shure, ect.

I think I saw it mentioned earlier, but my all time fav. on guitar is RCA BK-5. Of course sometimes you want some other sounds, but I have never been disapointed with it.

[quote author="gyraf"]Wow - that microphone looks damned good...!

Jakob E.[/quote]
Yeeeees.....indeeeed.... =)))

[quote author="Greg"]Where can I get some more info about the fum ribbon mentioned earlier in this thread. Did I miss out on something?[/quote]

Yes, you missed out big time! :cry: :green:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=5268&highlight=fum+ribbon

Fum might still offer these at a good price, though.

Latest posts

Back