Best transformerless preamp DIY kit or project currently available?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vorg

Hi everybody! I'll have an upcoming recording session in the next few months and I'd really need 2 channels of pristine clean preamp. Millennia's HV-3 would be my go-to and I see there'd be several options in that vein (Hardy's M-1, Grace's M101...) but as we all know, these are quite expensive and I'd rather pick some DIY so that I can, at the same time, split the costs at different times, learn something new while building it, hone my skills and eventually be aware of how what I will be working with will be built.

Ideally, a 500-format would be a plus but I'd also consider alternatives. Doesn't have to be a kit, it can as well be just the PCB as long as its building is (very) well documented.

As far as my knowledge goes, the only kit/DIY project satisfying these needs is the SCA (Seventh Circle Audio) C84: it's a long-standing project, also coming in 500 series format now, but I wonder if there's anything else out there right now. Also, since I'm based in Italy, something that wouldn't require custom fees and the likes would be a plus.

Any ideas? Thank you all so much in advance!

What about these ?

http://www.nanovolt.ch/resources/microphone_preamplifiers/index.html

(No direct experience, but I’m curious)

Hi John! The "Monte Generoso" looks very interesting, indeed! I'm afraid that's on another level, though, compared to my actual building skills (e.g. I'd be clueless as to the whole "racking process", so to speak, meaning: how to give B+ to the boards, phase switches, pad switch etc. etc.). I'd rather go for something better documented, preferably with a "for dummies" building guide. Thank you for the tip, though!

Back