Bigger Display for DSO138 "toy" scope?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock soderstrom

Tour de France
Hi folks,

I have one of those DSO138 toy scopes which I hardly ever use because I have better ones and I find it too fiddly to use.

1000033802.jpg

Now I'm thinking about using this device more effective by using it as a fixed info display for my test signals. The plan is to position it next to the signal generator. Unfortunately, the display is really too small for this distance (or my eyes are too bad now) and so I'm thinking about modifying the device and installing a larger display.

Of course I have no idea about such displays and their standards, so I googled around a bit and found the following forum post:
https://forum.jyetech.com/viewtopic.php?t=460

This helps a little but I would be interested to know what you think. Have any of you done something like this before? What should be considered and which displays would you recommend? A 3.5" display or larger would be nice...the built-in display has a 320 x 240 (QVGA) resulotion with a screen diagonal of 2.4″ (6.1 cm)

Cheers

Last edited:
That is interesting. That would help me to decipher (from a distance) the small digits of the measurement results overlay but I am afraid that such magnifying glasses are not that cheap.

They were cheap back in the 1950s but probably long gone to the rubbish bins now. 🤔

JR

PS; Another odd product associated with those early days was clear plastic overlay with green border on the bottom and blue on top for grass and sky to make black and white TV look like color. ;)

I had a DSO 138 for a while also ,
I found a few mods to reduce noise on the waveforms ,
still garbage at the end of the day ,
The Fnirsi DSO 152 or 153 look a lot better , if you want a component tester built in the DSO -TC3 has that on top .

I had a DSO 138 for a while also ,
I found a few mods to reduce noise on the waveforms ,
still garbage at the end of the day ,
The Fnirsi DSO 152 or 153 look a lot better , if you want a component tester built in the DSO -TC3 has that on top .
I'm not so interested in the graphical representation of the signal, but rather in the overlay of the measurement data (the Scope is intended to replace the analog measurement instrument in my audio generator), although the devices you mentioned would do the job much better due to the larger display.

I think this is the better solution for my test signal info display... :cool:

I guess I'll give the DSO to a buddy as a gift. It can then live on as a light effect in his modular synthesizer. 🥳

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back