Brexit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruffrecords said:
I suspect a lot of the belief that Brits like warm beer originated in WW2 when the Americans came over here. In those days the beer was warm, not necessarily because we liked it that way, but because domestic refrigerators were unheard of in those days. The only place you could get beer was a pub and none them had refrigerators. It wasn't until we moved to Peterborough in 1957 that we had our first fridge. And where we lived before that, we were the first house in our street to have an indoor toilet fitted.

Cheers

Ian

Ha! I remember my parents getting our first fridge before some Christmas in what I think must have been the early 70s so we were well behind you there :) Mind you, they were 'late adopters' - last to get a telephone (ie 'landline' or as we called it the 'telephone'  :eek:) etc. And watching Pot Black snooker on a B&W TV !

Newmarket said:
Ha! I remember my parents getting our first fridge before some Christmas in what I think must have been the early 70s so we were well behind you there :) Mind you, they were 'late adopters' - last to get a telephone (ie 'landline' or as we called it the 'telephone'  :eek:) etc. And watching Pot Black snooker on a B&W TV !
My Dad was definitely an early adopter. We were the first house in our close to have oil fired central heating fitted in the early 60s. Before that we just had a couple of smokeless fires, one in the lounge and one in the dining room. There was also a coke boiler in the kitchen for hot water. There was zero heat upstairs and I well remember waking up in the winter to see the patterns Jack Frost had left on the panes of the metal framed windows. Boy was that cold!

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
My Dad was definitely an early adopter. We were the first house in our close to have oil fired central heating fitted in the early 60s. Before that we just had a couple of smokeless fires, one in the lounge and one in the dining room. There was also a coke boiler in the kitchen for hot water. There was zero heat upstairs and I well remember waking up in the winter to see the patterns Jack Frost had left on the panes of the metal framed windows. Boy was that cold!

Reminds me of the central heating (Anthracite Coal Boiler) going in and my father slept in a chair near it to keep man eye on the pressure gauge. I do remember that he thermostat failed and was replaced several times early on.

Latest posts

Back