[BUILD] CAPI 511-VPR~Filtered 500 Series 11 Space Rack~Official Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figure this is as good a place as any to ask this question:

How are the 500 buckets wired in a XX88 vintage API console? Ive read in docs that the 200 series mic pres were routed different than the 500 series EQs im assuming by using different output pins. Do all VPR modules have both bal and unbal outputs active? Did the 500 series bal outputs just get routed to the 528 module diff input or did they go to the patch panel? I am not seeing any connection in the 2488/528 module schematics I found either.

I am asking this question because im trying to figure out which pins for VPR should be routed to my channels and if I should route the unbal output behind my line xmfr.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Found this on A-P-I's site, I am assuming the vintage consoles were routed the same for the 500.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 10.50.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 10.50.26 AM.png
    353.4 KB · Views: 14
Hello, I have my 3rd VPR-511 Rack, this one has the Switch Mode PSU paired with it. I seem to have some issues with the PSU handling load. Currently if I load more than 8 Pres, power to the rack flashes on and off like it’s constantly switching. I also tried a friend’s identical CAPI PSU and it does the same thing. I tried various combination of Pres and still ends up with the same issue.

any Idea of where to look for an issue?

Hello, I have my 3rd VPR-511 Rack, this one has the Switch Mode PSU paired with it. I seem to have some issues with the PSU handling load. Currently if I load more than 8 Pres, power to the rack flashes on and off like it’s constantly switching. I also tried a friend’s identical CAPI PSU and it does the same thing. I tried various combination of Pres and still ends up with the same issue.

any Idea of where to look for an issue?
You might try not connecting the PSU to the rack until the PSU has a few seconds to come up and have a solid LED...then connect the DC load.

You might try not connecting the PSU to the rack until the PSU has a few seconds to come up and have a solid LED...then connect the DC load.
Yes, I had the AC supply plugged into the PSU and was connecting and disconnecting with the DC multi pin when trying different configurations of modules. I figured it would help keep caps charged up, but it didn’t seem to help unfortunately.

Which way do these switches go? The build appears to be simple enough to dig into with no instructions but I'm not sure which way these stereo link switches between sockets go.

Which way do these switches go? The build appears to be simple enough to dig into with no instructions but I'm not sure which way these stereo link switches between sockets go.
The DC link switches? It doesn't make a difference.

Finally got around to building the chassis I received months ago. I was worried that it sounded terrible at first but it turns out that was just the cheap SSL SiX Channel Strip I used to test it lol. I tested it again with an API 550B and the other 2 XLR channels with both an SSL G-Comp and then an SSL Ultraviolet EQ. All sound good.

Unfortunately, I taped all the sockets and then was distracted and forgot to be careful when I soldered them in and half of the sockets turned a little and got soldered that way.
I was able to repair them good enough. presumably. I forgot to order another 2× DB25 before I built it, so I cant test those 9 sockets.
I got frustrated and ripped out one with pliers, then spent the next 2 hours clearing solder and pins from the PCB, so I need to order another socket for that one.

Good news is that, as long as my repairs are fine, it actually worked out better this way. Having to clear the connections without damaging the PCB actually made me a LOT better at soldering. Now maybe I'll be skilled enough to repair the racked Hairball Rev A I botched and finish building the one I stopped building after I realized the first one didn't work.

The whole point of not paying our tech to build them in the first place was that I needed the practice in order to be able to recap our gear when the time comes, so I guess it's all for the better

Hey Jeff! I'm having the same issue as Dudeitsree with my recently finished 511 rack. It doesn't seem to like having all 11 spots filled, it flashes a bunch on powerup. The trick of removing the PSU from the rack does seem to help in my case, but I'm wondering, is there anything to be done about this? My older 511 rack is running just fine right above it, and it would be great if they could both be as hassle free. Thanks!

Just an update that this only seems to work some of the time. I just powered on for the morning again on day 2, and it took many attempts to get it to stop blinking on and off.

Just an update that this only seems to work some of the time. I just powered on for the morning again on day 2, and it took many attempts to get it to stop blinking on and off.
This is apparently an "energy star" thing that is required for European markets. We have complained to the SMPS manufacturer about it and they have agreed to make the previous version for us for our next batch and into the future.

This is apparently an "energy star" thing that is required for European markets. We have complained to the SMPS manufacturer about it and they have agreed to make the previous version for us for our next batch and into the future.
Jeff, just reporting that after a week things seem to have stabilized and I am no longer having this issue. Just thought I would document that. Things are good though I will purchase a floor box PSU when they are next available.

This may be a dumb question, but what pinout configuration does the DB25 version use? Is it just the hot-cold-shield triangle configuration with pin 13 left unused? (I am sure that has a name, I'm just not very familiar with the various DB25 standards and what is typical in its analog applications).

This may be a dumb question, but what pinout configuration does the DB25 version use? Is it just the hot-cold-shield triangle configuration with pin 13 left unused? (I am sure that has a name, I'm just not very familiar with the various DB25 standards and what is typical in its analog applications).
Its the standard Tascam DB25 pinout

Hi all,

I delivered two db25 11 racks with filtered power to friend who describes the following issue with one of them.

The unit stopped working after 3 days of the unit working as expected with power on / off.

On subsequent powerons there seem to be a fluttering with units temporarily lighting up but unable to remain on.

When the load is reduced to 8 units it always powers on and three units can then be added in and power will remain stable. With nine units the power issue occurs sometimes.

The unit is currently stocked with 11 preamps in the following order: two stam 312 tube, two stam 312, two capi 312, two capi vp28, two avedis ma5 and one capi vp28 Platinum.

The second unit is filled with parametric eqs and has no issue. Switching power supply has no effect.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Harry

Latest posts

Back