Burt Bacharach R.I.P.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to take away from this thread but I didn’t post the video link and or wiki link.
And I certainly do not sign my posts with a name. So although I did post the rip post it looks like there were some things added that I didn’t add

Getting back on topic, seeing the news of his passing was hard for me, personally. His contributions loom large in my mind because of their ear-twisting qualities, and I've struggled with the kind of melody-less music I've worked on in the last few years. The first time I heard "What The World Needs Now" got lost on my childish ears, but I heard "They Long To Be Close To You" years later and the sense memory was so strong that I immediately had to ask my mother who sang the song. Of course, I felt like I had missed something when she told me that the singers were unrelated, but the introduction of the internet in our house brought about a revelation when I could find out who wrote those two melodies. Fast forward, and I was seeking out anything he wrote.

While it may seem—and it certainly does when I drive my wife's car and forget to switch off the radio—that melody is gone from popular music, I choose to believe that those younger than me will hear his songs and have their ears twisted in the same way. Burt had a gift and he shared it with us—and I'm thankful for that.

if you haven’t read it, read “what have they done to my art”. It was written by Walter e sear of sear sound fame. He has a section on what happened to music and how good lyrics and melody have always sold, how that has gone out the window. It’s a fascinating read that although over 20 years old, still rings true.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back