C12 Clone in T.Bone SCT800 Donor Body

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mihi_fuchs

Hi,

I extended my microphones by a pair of C12 clones. The PCBs are fitting into the T.Bone SCT800 donor microphone, a relatively cheap mic which is easy to get in Europe for a very decent price (used between 65-120 €) and it comes with a PSU, which can be modified.

As noted in other posts, tube microphones run on high and letal voltage. Even after switching them off they may hold these voltages in the capacitors for quite some time. Therefore only work on these projects if you know what you are doing and bear in mind that you should handle these things with the care and attention that they deserve!

In the link below you can find a building guide, the BOM for the PSU board and the microphone PCBs as well as a sound sample of female vocals (thanks a lot to Julia Wohlfahrt) and a drumset (thanks to Michael Golautschnig).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i8lscny4iviod54/AABCSr61SJeYCGhqDt1QfZkIa?dl=0
Here are some pictures of the built:

IMG_0325.jpegIMG_0327.jpegIMG_0329.jpeg

For the capsule I chose a Beijing 797 Audio Co., Ltd. Cy039 and the transformer is a 3u audio GZT-12 transfomer. The tube is a TAD 12AY7/6072A Highgrade(provided by Banzai music, order# SKU51827). The sound sample was recorded in cardioid pattern. 9 different patterns are available (Omni > 3 intermediate omni/Card > Card. > 3 intermediate Card./Fig. 8 > Fig. 8). They are picked via the switch on the PSU (see pictures below).

IMG_0342.jpegIMG_0355.jpeg

Last but not least the project has been highly influenced and some solutions were simply copied from members of this forum (e.g. matador, khron, poctop, chunger, and others) - thanks for all of their posts, ideas and solutions that they have shared over the times.

As usual the remnant PCBs I got left from the order will go the black market if you're interested,
Have a nice time DIYing!
all the best
mike

P.S.: Here's the link for the leftover PCBs if anyone is interested:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/leftov...t800-donor-body-pcbs-only.81199/#post-1045760

Last edited:
Awesome! I've been having some issues with tube mic pattern selection lately. Is there any way you could record pink noise through a speaker in omni and figure of eight of both sides of the capsule. It doesnt matter what speaker you use as long as the distance/position from the speaker is the same for all sides. Don't hurry, whenever and if you make it it's welcome.

Awesome! I've been having some issues with tube mic pattern selection lately. Is there any way you could record pink noise through a speaker in omni and figure of eight of both sides of the capsule. It doesnt matter what speaker you use as long as the distance/position from the speaker is the same for all sides. Don't hurry, whenever and if you make it it's welcome.
Sure thing ... I'll set it up and then record. Having it played from my studio monitors should be fine, I guess?

BTW ... I got the same PSU running with the G7 microphone - you are also interested in the two mics comparison?

As pointed out there was a mistake in connecting the J1 connector on the Mic PCB. The building guide has been updated. Please make sure you are using building guide V2.

Thanks to micscharf for pointing out the mistake.

Best wishes and happy holidays,
Michael

I clarified a few further point and updated the building guide also by the Version 2.0 of the PCBs.
Please use the Version 2.1 of the building guide - it applies to all versions of the PCB.

Best regards and merry Christmas,
Michael

The pattern rotary switch for suggested in the BOM is out of stock everywhere (at least in the EU). Does anyone know of a good quality alternative to the C&K switch?

Latest posts

Back