Cable Management

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
i can not put two guitar cords in the same bag without them getting tangled up like sphaghetti, (sp)

anybody got any tricks for putting say 10 cords for a live gig without them getting snarled?

pardon me for the lame question,

I also use Velcro cable ties and "barnier" (electrical tape) to hold cables nice and tidy.

Also i prefer a rigid case for transport rather than a bag.

Velcro cable ties here too, for about 40 years now. Several years ago, I bought a 150-count bag of nice quality, 18 cm. length, heavy duty cable straps for something like $9 on Amazon.

i can not put two guitar cords in the same bag without them getting tangled up like sphaghetti, (sp)

anybody got any tricks for putting say 10 cords for a live gig without them getting snarled?

pardon me for the lame question,

Not Lame imo. Cables conspire against us all :mad:
I reckon the real solution is individual cables in individual zip/press seal bags.

My “cable library” is in a file folder box with partitions. Works pretty well but the partitions are flimsy, and I’m not gigging with it. For gigs, I just make cable loops, each with their own Velcro tie, and all of the loops get secured together with one big Velcro tie. Works good for my bass setup (6x various 5-15’ cables).

i think you’re onto something—

what about an entire separate competition with multiple events?

like loading a Hammond B3 and Leslie 122 into a white panel van alone; fastest time wins

or changing strings on a Floyd Rose-equipped guitar (two penalty seconds for every cent out of tune)

pinning a DL96

lacing a 96 pt TT bay w/ waxed linen

re-capping a neve vr (multi-day event; broadcast crew checks in periodically over the course of the entire week)

not audio cables per se, but any recommendations for packs of power cables for preamps etc outboard, 1', up to 4' or so should do it in options, beefy to withstand location recoding, decent enough specs to keep EMI minimized flexible to make some 90 degree turns,... all running from the outboard racks to nearby floor power strip. hope is getting lengths closer to what i actually use and some zip ties or mounting type things for said IECs could turn my usual rats nest into a textbook clean subpanel wiring job that scratch the type-A/OCD in the worst/best of us. thanks

For XLR mic cords, I've seen an extension cord reel used. You wind one on, connect the next, wind it on, etc.

For guitar cables, I use an over-under wind plus a velcro strap to secure the end to the wound up loop.

Well, I used to, anyway. Now I use a NUC wireless setup.

you need connectors between the cables while you roll them on to a small cable drum
I've been working with a company who were rolling their cables on a cable drum once. All cables were tied to the previous in line.

What a waste of time! You have to unroll each cable individually. Then you have to roll back each of them at the end of the show. I've seen myself waiting for my colleagues to finish their own cable before i can roll the one i have in hand!

It's probably a matter of taste, but i wouldn't recommend this method.

It's easy and fast to roll a cable by hand. A bit of practice and anyone can roll a 30m cable in a matter of seconds, then a velcro / electrical tape. (We call them "barnier" here, the ref is Advance AT7), drop it on the floor or in the flight case, and get another cable. Rince an repeat 😁.

you know they have break dancing in the Olympics now,

why not have a roadie competition where they throw a huge ball of snarled up 1/4 inch mess onto the floor and the first guy to untangle it without breaking any conductors wins the gold, and a bag of Neutric XLR's,
I'm competing! But this would be too easy. We need to add a good amount of 4 way speakon in that mess!

i do agree though i suggested it . i did it once with xlr cables and probably never will .
could be a solution nevertheless if you only got your few personal cables .
velcro isn't velcro though . i got a full box i'll never use . either you make your own cables and don't forget to slip on the velcro , or you use the kind with extra velcro you fasten to the cable itself . anything else gets lost and is only a waste of money if not used for fixed installation .

i make 30cm spools , tie the last meter around the spool and connect the xlr into eachother .
others make a knob . feels like a lot of unnecessary. tear , though

Back