california

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe a decent part of the local Austin economy is based on live music.  So I would think there it might still be viable as a gigging musician or sound guy.

I had lots of fun visiting New Orleans, but that was mostly the bourbon st part.

For me I want a decent size house with a yard,  room for both a recording studio and a lab.  And not too far from city nightlife.  Haven't found too many of those in my budget.

john12ax7 said:
I had lots of fun visiting New Orleans, but that was mostly the bourbon st part.
I live in the French Quarter, but as far from Bourbon as possible. Closer to Frenchmen, where the music is way nicer than in Bourbon.

For me I want a decent size house with a yard,  room for both a recording studio and a lab.  And not too far from city nightlife.  Haven't found too many of those in my budget.
I receive regularly real estate info and recently saw several nice houses for sale in the Algiers area, that is on the other side of the river, about 25 min from where the action is.

It was sometime around October 2013 that I met this woman you see in the photo. Her name was Yeweinisht Mesfin aka “Weiny.” The first interaction I had with her was her asking me if I wanted a slice of her apple that she was having for lunch. From that day on, I saw her every day and she became one of my closest coworkers at Disney.

http://www.leftvoice.org/The-Price-of-Wonderland-Homeless-Disney-Worker-Dies-in-Car

Attachments

• Yeweinisht Mesfin.jpg
    Yeweinisht Mesfin.jpg
    637.6 KB · Views: 5
I saw that the other day.  It's sad.

Maybe It's me being older but California has gotten worse in my 20 years here. Maybe it's always been this bad I was just not stopping and looking, who knows. But it's crazy.

She had such a kind face.

"Jailhouse video reveals California sheriff’s deputies watching and sometimes laughing as a man who had schizophrenia was strapped naked to a chair for 46 hours then writhes on the floor of his cell, loses consciousness and eventually dies"

https://twitter.com/Hebahersi/status/975503087946424320

pucho812 said:
As always life throws a curve ball.  man it's tough in this state.  But not sure if it is any easier elsewhere.  :-\
Easier in what respect?

I've enjoyed my sundry visits to CA but never considered living there.  My older brother lives in So Cal because his wife had a good job there (he consults so can live anywhere). Her gig is running out and I expect him to escape (he thinks a lot like me).

I was just talking to a friend who lives in Austin and he was offered a good job in SF but will probably pass, disappointing his teenage daughter.  She thinks CA would be cool because that is where so many youtubes come from.. ::) ::)

JR

scott2000 said:
What don't kill ya....

Hang in there!!! May not be easier anywhere else....Cheaper maybe....

Thanks.  It's just beyond ridiculous at times. It  wears on a person hard.  Definitely cheaper elsewhere.  For example If I lived out by the Arizona border,  I could drive over the boarder and pay a whole dollar less in gas.  California for some time has been nothing but increase in everything making it really difficult to continue living here, even when you are earning a decent income. 

JohnRoberts said:
Easier in what respect?

I've enjoyed my sundry visits to CA but never considered living there.  My older brother lives in So Cal because his wife had a good job there (he consults so can live anywhere). Her gig is running out and I expect him to escape (he thinks a lot like me).

I was just talking to a friend who lives in Austin and he was offered a good job in SF but will probably pass, disappointing his teenage daughter.  She thinks CA would be cool because that is where so many youtubes come from.. ::) ::)

JR

The bay area right now  is having a mass exodus of folks because cost of living there is beyond affordable to anyone, even earning a good living.  But for all that mass exodus they are having almost as many move in.  The news reported to get a uhaul from dallas to SF is about 1500.00 but to get out of california Sf to dallas, you are looking at 3500.00 The news also said this is the largest amount of people to leave the bay area in history.  So what does that tell you?

pucho812 said:
The bay area right now  is having a mass exodus of folks because cost of living there is beyond affordable to anyone, even earning a good living.  But for all that mass exodus they are having almost as many move in.  The news reported to get a uhaul from dallas to SF is about 1500.00 but to get out of california Sf to dallas, you are looking at 3500.00 The news also said this is the largest amount of people to leave the bay area in history.  So what does that tell you?
It tells me I was correct in my judgement about CA but I am not first, or alone in that judgement. "Lala land" is not a term of endearment.  This phenomenon has been long time coming and even some very wealthy people are leaving silicon valley now for reasons other than cost (not very tolerant of different political opinions, etc). 

Re: high living cost is not unique to CA. I recall living in Westport, Ct  back in the 70s, when school teachers and municipal employees couldn't afford to live in the same towns they worked for.

I remember governor Jerry Brown from his first time in office.  At least back then he had a cool girlfriend (Linda Ronstadt).  ;D

CA is a beautiful place to live but understandably that comes at a cost. The price of gas is relatively high because of unique CA only gasoline blend requirement (they don't like gas so don't mind making it even more expensive).

JR

PS: I'm not living in MS because it is a beautiful place to live, full of beautiful people.  I was always impressed with the gene pool in southern CA from all the wannabe actors, who settled there after failing to get into the big show.  8)

All true. our gas blend crap is the worst,  then they tack on changes in seasons as a reason to up the cost because they change the blends. It's all crap.  If not for work, I wold leave. Then again I suppose there are other places I could still work in professional audio without such a hefty price tag.

pucho812 said:
All true. our gas blend crap is the worst,  then they tack on changes in seasons as a reasont o up the cost because they change the blends. It's all crap.  If not for work, I wold leave then again I suppose there are other places I could still work in professional audio without such a heafty price tag.
The prettiest strippers I ever saw were all in CA. One time at a private party in San Diego I literally couldn't decide which one of the two strippers was more attractive.

A good problem to have.  8)

JR

PS: In MS when the strip club says they have dancers from LA, they mean "lower alabama".  ::)

Where else have you lived Pucho? 

For your gig you have all sorts of choices of where to live, lots of what you are doing happening in nice places.

The current exodus from L.A. is to Nashville but it's not for me.

ruairioflaherty said:
Where else have you lived Pucho? 

For your gig you have all sorts of choices of where to live, lots of what you are doing happening in nice places.

The current exodus from L.A. is to Nashville but it's not for me.

well lets see lived on the east coast,  born and raised in Texas.  I have it easy in that I could move at moments notice. 

I was in Nashville over the summer. Not a bad place. Yes there is a lot of people moving from L.A. to Nashville, it seems to be the hot spot. 

pucho812 said:
well lets see lived on the east coast,  born and raised in Texas.  I have it easy in that I could move at moments notice. 

I was in Nashville over the summer. Not a bad place. Yes there is a lot of people moving from L.A. to Nashville, it seems to be the hot spot.

What we need and value changes at different points in our lives, my last transition was from rural Ireland to L.A. but it has enabled me work wise in ways I couldn't have dreamed of. 

The South of France beckons in the long term, maybe the Central Coast of California.  At some point the costs (in all senses) of living in L.A. will outweigh the gains and at that point we'll change direction, but for now I am loving it.

Back