Can’t even mail priority anymore

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local tiny post office is incredibly busy all the time. They aren't very nice either. On the other hand since the corporate business world has largely stoped using the USPS the giant post office locations in Manhattan are usually empty. If I have serious business like a passport renewal I go to Manhattan.

The local postmistress wasn't that nice a few years ago when she first started working here, but she has come around since.

She put a tin of sugar cookies in my PO Box for Christmas. I guess that qualifies as friendly. 🤔

JR

Incredibly hard working ladies at my local post office and there a pleasure to deal with .

The UK postal system is in the dock this morning due to the 'Horizon' debacle .

Folks at my local PO are almost always quite nice and helpful. One older gentleman there is a bit "ditzy" and often seems confused....yet also pleasant.

I hope the USPS survives after Postmaster Louis DeJoy guts it.

Bri

The poor record of USPS delivery of my daily newspaper continues. Today I received two Wednesday papers, one of the two a full week late :rolleyes: . My Monday and Tuesday daily papers are still missing.

It is really hard to get customer service from large bureaucracies. I have given up on getting cooperation from USPS but hoping that WSJ can get in touch with the manufacturer of the fancy sorting machines to configure the odd lot papers (i am the only subscriber in my town) so the machine readers can effectively read and sort the loose papers.

I have planted this idea with WSJ customer service but have no idea if they can find and pursue it with the sorter manufacturer.

JR

John....how long has this oddball delivery problem been happening?
Several years, but it has been getting worse lately. The WSJ website does not even accept my missed delivery reports but tells me to contact customer service where some millennials tell me I should read the web version of the paper. It's a common passive-aggressive strategy to increase resistance so I will lose interest and abandon my complaints. 🤔

As I have already shared USPS is trying to improve their general delivery performance issues by consolidating into fewer but highly automated regional sorting centers. My regional sorting center is in Jackson,MS about 60 miles west. I found the press release touting the installation of the new automated sorting machine a couple years ago, and also found government reviews that Jackson's sorting throughput performance was below average for all updated sorting centers. :cry:

For several decades living here my daily newspaper arrived on time like clock work. I suspect the failure of the Jackson sorting center to sort my daily paper accurately and on time is a combination of human (management and/or worker) failures, and the automation machinery's failure to accept loose odd bundled newspapers. I have given up on the thought of effectively applying pressure to USPS management while I have not ruled out trying to get a congress person involved as a final desperation hail Mary.

I do not want special attention. I just want the multi-million dollar automation investments to deliver some reasonable performance.

Today I got two wednesday papers. The newspaper that was a week late was probably misrouted to an incorrect local post office (my speculation). Misrouted papers get thrown in with new incoming mail and sent upstream by the local POs.

In my judgement the local post office is not the problem and in response to my complaints USPS management has the local postmistress(?) logging the arrival dates of my WSJ papers. Of course this doesn't put any pressure on the actual problem area at least one level upstream in the delivery chain, unless somebody with half a brain studies the reports to look for a pattern.

As I said there is more than one fault scenario... Today I got two Wednesday newspapers and last Saturday's, but Monday and Tuesday's papers are still missing. Today's paper managed to pass two older newspapers in the same distribution channel. ;)

[edit- coincidentally my on time paper delivery appears to have gotten worse since the new automation was installed. /edit]

JR

Update since 1/5 my priority envelope has remained on the same status. It past a distro facility in Texas 1/1 at 3:20pm then 1/5 updates to moving through network. 1/9 I filed a claim.🤔

Update since 1/5 my priority envelope has remained on the same status. It past a distro facility in Texas 1/1 at 3:20pm then 1/5 updates to moving through network. 1/9 I filed a claim.🤔
Good luck, years ago when I was shipping drum tuners using USPS I have several similar incidents. One Christmas I double shipped a tuner that was supposed to be a Christmas present for a customer's son and was stranded in the system. Of course it broke loose and the customer ended up with two. :rolleyes: I had the customer refuse the extra unit, but of course it cost me.....
====
Speaking of USPS, today I received two WSJ papers. Today's paper on time, and Monday's paper a few days late. 🤔

JR

My new mail carrier never, ever delivers packages that need signing. Instead, he drops those burnt orange tickets in my mailbox- even when I'm home- and checks the box "1st attempt". It would be a 1st attempt if he actually took packages out of his van, which he does not- not for me, anyways. Ask me how I know...
So why am I afraid to confront my postman about his antisocial behavior? Well, it gets worse- He's also an antihero of sorts. Allow me to explain:

So...this will be hard for y'all to believe, but the reason he's an antisocial-antihero is because he also does another strange thing: When the need compels him, he looks for dog poop in mine or my neighbor's front yard, intentionally steps in it, scrapes it onto my front steps, and smooshes the remainder on the porch. The first time I saw these "deliveries" I thought it was an accident. But the 2nd time? Third time?
By the fifth time it was clear; the man is intent on sharing scataological life lessons on yard cleanliness to anyone who plants mud-mines along his route.

What's disturbing is, I have never met the man! All I've done to him (I can only guess) is choose to clean up my dog's poop from my yard once a week rather than once a day. Everyone suggests I put up a camera, which I guess I'm going to have to do.

Last edited:
My new mail carrier never, ever delivers packages that need signing. Instead, he drops those burnt orange tickets in my mailbox- even when I'm home- and checks the box "1st attempt". It would be a 1st attempt if he actually took packages out of his van, which he does not- not for me, anyways. Ask me how I know...
So why am I afraid to confront my postman about his antisocial behavior? Well, it gets worse- He's also an antihero of sorts. Allow me to explain:

So...this will be hard for y'all to believe, but the reason he's an antisocial-antihero is because he also does another strange thing: When the need compels him, he looks for dog poop in mine or my neighbor's front yard, intentionally steps in it, scrapes it onto my front steps, and smooshes the remainder on the porch. The first time I saw these "deliveries" I thought it was an accident. But the 2nd time? Third time? Fourth?
By the fifth time it was clear; the man is a goose-stepping, poop-seeking soldier, intent on sharing scataological life-lessons on yard cleanliness to anyone who plants mud-mines along his route.

What's disturbing is, I have never met the man! All I've done to him (I can only guess) is choose to clean up my dog's poop from my yard once a week rather than once a day. Everyone suggests I put up a camera, which I guess I'm going to have to do.
I can't imagine someone intentionally stepping in excrement. Sounds like a good application for a doorbell camera. 🤔

JR

So...this will be hard for y'all to believe, but the reason he's an antisocial-antihero is because he also does another strange thing: When the need compels him, he looks for dog poop in mine or my neighbor's front yard, intentionally steps in it, scrapes it onto my front steps, and smooshes the remainder on the porch. The first time I saw these "deliveries" I thought it was an accident. But the 2nd time? Third time? Fourth?
By the fifth time it was clear; the man is a goose-stepping, poop-seeking soldier, intent on sharing scataological life lessons on yard cleanliness to anyone who plants mud-mines along his route.

Some people are just weird.
Just ask
Laurel fishmen
https://wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/Laurel_Fishman

Everyone suggests I put up a camera, which I guess I'm going to have to do.
Could try a card with a gift certificate to some eatery or something in the mailbox ?
But then you kinda start a pattern if it works.
Forgot to tip the waste management guys this year and they started leaving the cans in front of our driveway so I have to stop in the road to get out and move them when getting home..lol
I'm sure I'm imagining things...

So usps replied to my claim.

After a detailed investigation to try and locate your package, it looks that there could be damage to this package or is lost at the plant in Austin, we at the USPS suggest that you contact the shipper letting them know of our findings, they will then at their discretion decide to file a claim on your behalf, send you a replacement, or refund the dollar amount of this package. “

This is infuriating. They are the shipper. Did they not understand when I expressed it was a priority envelope 😡😡😡 everything outside of Me stuffing the priority envelope is at the hands of usps😡

If the company that sold you the item prepaid the shipping charges to the carrier (even though you paid the shipping charges on your invoice), it is that company that has to make the claim. The shipping "contract" is between the company and the freight carrier.

If the item was shipped collect to you, then it would be between you and the freight carrier. Whoever actually pays the freight charges to the carrier has to make the claim.

I had to deal with these situations many times where I worked.

Obviously, USPS doesn't understand the situation that you shipped these yourself. Hopefully it is not an AI "agent" you are dealing with. If you could actually talk to a real person it might help. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
If the company that sold you the item prepaid the shipping charges to the carrier (even though you paid the shipping charges on your invoice), it is that company that has to make the claim. The shipping "contract" is between the company and the freight carrier.

If the item was shipped collect to you, then it would be between you and the freight carrier. Whoever actually pays the freight charges to the carrier has to make the claim.

I had to deal with these situations many times where I worked.

Obviously, USPS doesn't understand the situation that you shipped these yourself. Hopefully it is not an AI "agent" you are dealing with. If you could actually talk to a real person it might help. Good luck with that.
There was no item. I sent a priority envelope to my brother. I packed the envelope.

Back