Can I post chocolates to the USA?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramshackles

Ok, rather a bizarre question, but if I were to post some chocolates to the US, would my letter get destroyed and I get banned from the US for terrorism? :p

Jusst wondering if I would be OK doing so as there will be a couple more valuable items in the letter aswell. I wouldnt want it held at customs or returned...

cooked packaged food products are fine to bring in, so should be fine shipped.    There are very restrictive agricultural import restrictions designed to keep insects and fungus from appearing amongus.

Cooked and packaged is fine when carrying it in.  I think should be fine shipping. Might be better if the declaration said samples, and neglected to mention food.  You can never tell what they stop.

NO, you can't. There are very restricting regulations regarding food importation to the U.S
I once tried to send very fine Belgian Chocolates to the U.S as a gift and both UPS and FEDEX refused to ship it.
You may try regular postal services (without any mention about the contents on the package) but at your own risk. The risk is that if the U.S Customs check the contents it will be either destroyed or returned to you.

[silent:arts] said:
never had any problems to any country with the 51X sweets I always include.

Volker,

If you declared it the courier would probably not accept it.

If you send it without a declaration by post and is stopped at the customs (on xray) it can be confiscated and you may lose the whole shipment. If you is send it by a courier then they'll return it to you and charge you for the return fee.

No, I do not declare them.
And with the amount of shipments I do chances are very high they some or most are x-rayed and accepted by customs.

Anybody out there got a 51xAudio shipment with sweeties stolen by customs?
Most feedback I get is not "arrived", it is "thanks for the gummy bears"  8)

The attached pic is from Chile ;-)

Attachments

• 1016372_652471574767556_1035013725_n.jpg
    1016372_652471574767556_1035013725_n.jpg
    44.6 KB
Yesterday I received a box of chocolate in Canada sent from the USA, by front panel express. They custom declaration just said 'chocolate'

All chocolates are accepted in Canada anyway, and highly encouraged too!... This morning I have a delicious tummy ache....Merry Christmas Everyone!

I have found that different declarations have a better time getting through, depending upon country. 

China seems to like model numbers.

Miniature Nativity scene worked fine in Germany.

Maybe "cukoo clock".

It sort of depends upon the size of the package what the declaration should say doesn't it?

Inbound to the US any declaration that mentions food is sure to provoke interest, we have a strong agricultural lobby and we are one of the 7 net food exporters of the world.  They are all worried about fungus and insects.

If you are sending chocolates to a girl, then perhaps just look at the chocolates and if they have windmills then declare "miniature windmill" or "miniature nativity scene (that assumes there were windmills in Jeruselem, but it is timely and plays on the most populus us religion).

If you are trying to import for business, then you are definitely asking the wrong group, and you need to get in touch with UPS or some logistics company.

I should say that I don't know the risks for "creative" declarations, but trying to understand import export rules is enough to look at the "better to ask forgiveness than permission" approach.

Back