Cap Question for SSL 9k

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeroddumas

Can I get some help finding a source for 3.3pf caps for my SSL 9k clone. I found the Wimas at mouser, but do not want to pay $17 bucks for ten when I don't need that many. Will ceramics work for these??? Don't shoot me for asking that question.

Hi guys, if I can go slightly in another direction here.....

The transistor TR5 which is the MAT-02 is imposssible for me to find, is there a substitute for this part?

Thanks,

Steve.,

[quote author="Svart"]take a look at the LM394.[/quote]

Thankyou Svart. Those LM394's are not cheap though!

You can get the Mat02 direct from Analogue devices. Go to their website & order some samples then they`re free but you will probably be restricted to having 2.

With regards to the LM394 being expensive its roughly the same price as a MAT 02. I find it hard to believe that your worried about the price when you consider the quality of the mic amp you`re getting for the money. My stereo 9K pair probably cost less than £75 UK, which is extremely cheap for what is a really good sounding mic pre.

Rob the LM394CH is $AUD20 and the LM394H is $AUD32 those prices are from Farnell which is the only place in this fabulous country I've been able to find them.

I've already tried the 'samples' thing from analog devices but after registering the 'samples' didn't seem to be available still, only the retail price appears........? I'll have another look there.

WIth the samples I seem to remeber having to write a pleasant email to a lady at AD, if you didn`t have to do this you may not have got through.

Your $AUS prices are roughly the same as the UK prices if the exchange rate is still 1£ =3$AUS

I'm just used to most bit's being cheap and just suprised I suppose that a little transistor would cost this much...... It's not going to stop me anyhow :wink:

What do you think about the difference between the CH and the H? The only difference I noticed was the temperature handling of the CH was up to 70 degrees C and the H up to 125 degrees C.

Do you think the LM394H is necessary?

Thanks Rob.

hi guys...

this is what i did to get round the MAT-02 problem.
in the LM394 datasheet is says that the SSM2210 is a direct replacement for it...
So i ordered a few Samples from AD and placed those in..
Later on i compared it to a real one with a MAT-02 in it, and there's no diffirence to be measured between the 2.
The picture illustrated the way i mounted them just to check them out... as AD send me the SMD-package versions... But with true DIY spirit we make this work aswell :grin:
DSC03658Large.jpg

Greetz
Remco

for some reason they didn't send them to me....

dunno why, but they did send these, so i made a small detour..

Back