Cap Question for SSL 9k

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeroddumas:
i used ceramic for the 3p3, 10pF and the 100pF, the rest were all polyester..

Greetz
Remco

Ceramics should be used for the compensation caps. They are used in the originals.

Remco -How's it going! -You built one of the very first If I recall correctly...

I still have those switch caps... and a number of VR spares if you're interested...

Keith

Sorry to hijack again..... but do any of you guys know if the W04 (1.2A 400V) Bridge Rectifier will do the job for this project?

Thanks again,

Steve.

Jeroddumas: The way I look at the schematic all the caps with a pF value should be ceramic.

Steve: That rectifier will do the job for ya.. no doubts.

SSLtech: I'm fine.. I build 4 of the pre-amps and they still perform very nicely. I made 2 channels in 1 rackunit accompanied by 2 Keith LM3915 LED driver circuits for some level indication. And a Green PSU to feed all the components.

Greetz
Remco

[quote author="BladeSG"]Sorry to hijack again..... but do any of you guys know if the W04 (1.2A 400V) Bridge Rectifier will do the job for this project?[/quote]-Should work just fine. You don't pull much juice with these (unless you try and run too many from a single PSU!!! :wink: )

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"][quote author="BladeSG"]Sorry to hijack again..... but do any of you guys know if the W04 (1.2A 400V) Bridge Rectifier will do the job for this project?[/quote]-Should work just fine. You don't pull much juice with these (unless you try and run too many from a single PSU!!! :wink: )

Keith[/quote]

How many channels can we run with a single PSU ?
I'm also thinking about make another PSU for +-15... but...

Thanks Remco and Keith.

I thought each set of PCB's (from Gustav) come with a PSU anyhow...... So each channel has it's own PSU. Is this not necessary (to have a PSU for each channel that is)?

Thanks again,

Steve.

HI Steve,

I've build just one PSU for all the things in the housing.
I'm running from a slightly modified GreenPre PSU (i added a +/- 15V line for the TL052 on the board).
this PSU feeds 2 SSL9k boards, 2 LM3915 meters, and 1 OB-1 output balancer. and some aditional LED directly from the secondaries of the Xformer.

So 1 PSU in the box and off you go!

Greetz
Remco

Thanks Remco. I only plan on building the 2 channels of this anyway so this is good as it'll save me having to fit out 2 PSU PCB's.

Hello everybody, a little DiY newbie question about caps for the SSL9k

I took a look at Keith partlist to find caps properties and i saw, for example : 2u2/63V, or 220uf/25V.
But what about the others : 100nf/??V (i'd like to fill the ??)
Perhaps a stupid question but my capacities are limited to soldering components, i got no electronical knoledge at all. :oops:

Other thing, i read in that topic that "all the caps with a pF value should be ceramic.": is it to reduce cost or does the ceramic caracteristic has an importance over the polyester one?

thanks for your answers, i'd not like to make an incorrect BOM, it's for a grouped command in France

alo
i`ve never made this pre,but concerning your question,in the pf range any ceramic will do,since they are most of the time above 63v.if you wanna get fancy,go with cog/npo,that are better.in the nf range,go polyester(wima),and you`ll be home.
are you in france?.if so try rs components or farnell,and you`ll have plenty to chose.
try musikding.de for the wimas(i buy there).
best regards
pedro

Hello Everyone,

New to DIY (well, I have one fabulous SCA N72 under my belt :grin: ), and I've tried to search and read everything here before entering this (possibly redundant) post. I'm building a 9k pre, and I'm just hoping you all will answer a couple of questions:

1. Based on the other posts I've read, here's my strategy for the caps:
-ceramics for all 'pF' values.
-electrolytics for polzarized caps.
-Wima polyesters for the rest.

Ok?

2. Any suggestions for L1 and L2?

3. Analog Devices has the MAT-02, but there's an "EH" and an "FH" model. Any difference? The "EH" is more expensive, but somebody on the board said it has better specs. Advice?

3. Are 1/4 watt resistors sufficient?

Thanks! :thumb:
Glenn

[quote author="gltech"]Hello Everyone,

New to DIY (well, I have one fabulous SCA N72 under my belt :grin: ), and I've tried to search and read everything here before entering this (possibly redundant) post. I'm building a 9k pre, and I'm just hoping you all will answer a couple of questions:

1. Based on the other posts I've read, here's my strategy for the caps:
-ceramics for all 'pF' values.
-electrolytics for polzarized caps.
-Wima polyesters for the rest.

Ok?[/quote]

Yes Sir !
I've used:
npo and/or cog for the ceramics
rubycons zl for the electros
and wimas polypro (polyester will do...) for the rest

[quote author="gltech"]2. Any suggestions for L1 and L2?[/quote]

I used 2 cheap inductances...

[quote author="gltech"]3. Analog Devices has the MAT-02, but there's an "EH" and an "FH" model. Any difference? The "EH" is more expensive, but somebody on the board said it has better specs. Advice?[/quote]

I've used FH version, EH seem to have better specs, but i haven't compared them.

[quote author="gltech"]3. Are 1/4 watt resistors sufficient?[/quote]

Yes, 1/4 watt... i suggest 1% metal film resistor !

[quote author="gltech"]Thanks! :thumb:
Glenn[/quote]

You're welcome ! :guinness: :green:

I used Wima FKP and MKS for everything but the 10pf and 3.3pf
Small values of FKP are available at this wonderful shop

http://www.musikding.de/

For electros - I think I used Elna Silmics (I had a few lying around)

Andy
Here you go

http://rclsgi.eng.ohio-state.edu/~bocook/diy/ssl-9k/ssl_9k_preamp.pdf

ta
SImon

Back