Capsule upgrade for Royer Mod/MXL 2001

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to try that but I'm not sure I understand your advice clearly

A very crude (1st order) low-pass filter - a capacitor rated at least as high as the B+ high-voltage supply used to power the tube, connected between the tube plate (aka anode) and ground.

A very crude (1st order) low-pass filter - a capacitor rated at least as high as the B+ high-voltage supply used to power the tube, connected between the tube plate (aka anode) and ground.
For clarity, I've always understood this to be a high-pass filter, thus it channels unwanted highs to the grid where the reversed phase interaction removes them from the signal path. Originally, it was intended to reduce RFI problems in mics, but it does also have a touch or audible impact at the very high end of the audio spectrum. Because of this, some folks now refer it as a "tone capacitor". You're likely to have to go larger than 500pF before it starts to have much impact on the character of your mic's sound.

For clarity, I've always understood this to be a high-pass filter, thus it channels unwanted highs to the grid where the reversed phase interaction removes them from the signal path.
No, Khron is right AFAIK. This is a low-pass filter IMO. Excessive heighs (and everything above) are dumped into ground. Yeah, its a kind of tone cap.
Originally, it was intended to reduce RFI problems in mics, but it does also have a touch or audible impact at the very high end of the audio spectrum. Because of this, some folks now refer it as a "tone capacitor"
I agree, it is always a good idea to attenuate amplifiers at the top end that are so far upstream in the signal chain, otherwise unwanted radio reception... :devilish:
You're likely to have to go larger than 500pF before it starts to have much impact on the character of your mic's sound.
+1

Back