Cats vs Dogs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These two came from the cat's protection league. How could anyone give them away?

KBandCat.jpg

Tula_Sink.jpg

:D

nice stories here,....
we have 2 cats - Nanuk (she,redhead) and Dweezle (he,black)

Nanuk is from zappa's dont eat the yellow snow ,and Dweezle is his son....:)

i really loved the video, made me cry

me and my girlfriend have both, cat and dog

She (the black beauty), 6 year old kitty

He (old hound) is very old, hope he'll be with us until April 9th, will be his 18th birthday. It's sad to see him more and more tired every day  :'(

Attachments

• haiku.jpg
    haiku.jpg
    986.9 KB · Views: 8
Parents always had cats when i was growing up, I got one as soon as I bought my own house.
I cant remember a time in my life when I've gone more than 3 months without having a cat in the house.

The wife likes the cat but prefers dogs, no we are married i promised her we would get a dog. I dont mind dogs and I'm sure I'll enjoy having one as a pet, I just find them a bit over dependant.

judging by the mix of cat dog owners maybe this is a good place to ask for advice on introducing a dog into a cats home?
Do particular breeds get along better with cats? is it gender dependant?

I think its all about the dogs prior exposure to cats , if none it may take awhile for them to get along
If its a puppy just dont let the cat swat it around too much  ;) They will get along eventually regardless of breed .
I love all animals , Id have a whole pack of misfits if I could .

Mostly Id like people to NOT get pets if they cant properly take care of them  . To many neglected animals live terrible lives because of
the allure of dog fighting and golden retriever puppy movies  , people that dont fix their cats ect ect .

Autophase said:
judging by the mix of cat dog owners maybe this is a good place to ask for advice on introducing a dog into a cats home?

Younger is easier. Not much reasoning with the cat. You need to remind the dog that you are the alpha dog and (s)he is not allowed to eat the cat. There will be a few thrilling chases at first but the dog will never catch the cat who has superior climbing skills. Put away any breakable valuables. They will eventually settle down. or not.

We had both when I was a kid growing up and they got along fine, later I had a roommate move in to share a house with his cats, and my older dog was not very amused. We mostly kept them apart but there was some real fun at first.

JR

Autophase said:

I've introduced a lot of dogs to a lot of cats.  Don't listen to ANYTHING people tell you about breeds, it's all BS.  Dogs like people are individuals and all have their own personality.  I've only had one breed of dog and I've never found two the same.  If you can, the best thing to do is find a good rescue that has a dog being fostered in a cat home. That makes it a lot easier.

Keep them apart for 2-4 weeks but let them see each other.  If you can say keep the cat(s) in a space with baby gates that's perfect.  They sell baby gates with little doors you can open with the cat to walk through.  If you wave one of those you can open it after a couple weeks and let the cats interact with the dogs when they feel up to it.  You could also just had the dog dragging a leash in house for a few weeks.

Usually if a dog has a high prey drive it'll become obvious.  Then you have a tough choice to make.  I've have little to no luck battling prey drive.

One of our dogs (Lola) actually has a pretty health prey drive, but her desire to not get in trouble is larger.  See below.

Mike

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 22
Echo North said:
I've have little to no luck battling prey drive.

My black and white dog has a very very strong prey drive. I like cats but it would never work. I'm going snow shoeing this weekend. Gotta keep him away from the deer and wild Turkeys.

Gold said:
Echo North said:
I've have little to no luck battling prey drive.

My black and white dog has a very very strong prey drive. I like cats but it would never work. I'm going snow shoeing this weekend. Gotta keep him away from the deer and wild Turkeys.

I had to shovel possum bits in the yard once.

Luckily he's more of a bully than a hunter. He cornered a young turkey last time I was in the mountains but luckily he didn't touch it. He did get a rat in Prospect Park once.

At least you don't have fowl walking down your street.  Probably cleaner than Prospect Park rats I imagine.

I'll be in your hood visiting Mr. Kutch1 in May sometime.  I'll make sure to pop by this time.

Attachments

• fowl.jpg
    fowl.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 22
thanks for the advice guys, we will definately be getting a rescue dog, our cat is also a rescue.
I'll make sure its a dog that is used to cats.
I like the idea of keeling it on a lead in the house for the first few weeks then the dow will know who is boss and i can regin him in at any time.

posts above i introduced our cat and dog, sadly the old guy, our beloved Silver passed 2 hours ago.

It's time to cry, remember good times and start assuming his loss

:-[

Latest posts

Back