Cheap DIY Microphone/Stand Quick Release

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have quick releases in the garage that I pulled off the shelf and one was plastic and one was brass.

The connections they both made were very tight and stable on both, but the plastic of course weighed less.

One thing I also noticed is that the they really stay tight and don't rotate at all when connected together, which I saw above was a concern.

I'm very curious to see what you come up with!

I did have another thought, which was the hose quick-releases, the female to male mic-stand-adapters, a nut for the skinny side of the mic-stand adapter, and male and female hose caps.

Basically just drilling a hole in each hose-cap, putting the skinny side of the stand-adapter through, and then locking it in with a nut.

This sounds like allot of hardware but not really.

And you could do about 20 sets of these for around $50 to $60.00 total off of AliExpress or even Amazon parts.

I don't even own 20 mic stands, though I do have allot of mics, so I guess I would only need 10 sets and then maybe 10 of just the microphone clip side.

Here for instance are some caps on Amazon, 20 for $10.00.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Gard...91-a25f-4e6c10aafc87&pd_rd_i=B0815SMC9G&psc=1
Or maybe this will be another colossal way for me to procrastinate again!

IMG_0788.jpg51knAprIS2L._AC_SL1001_ (1).jpg51kiZf6aMUL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
IMG_0790.jpgIMG_0792.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 0
I think you're onto something. I found the male to female garden hose cap, but I didn't find the female to male. That would make it work.
You could drill a hole in one cap, put the stand/boom arm through that hole and then put a (locking) nut on the thread so that cap can still rotate, but it won't fall off. (this may work better inverted)
And then drill a hole in the other cap and put a 3/8"-16 bolt through it, secure it on the outside of the cap with a nut and that's the side that would screw into your shock mount.

I think you're onto something. I found the male to female garden hose cap, but I didn't find the female to male. That would make it work.
You could drill a hole in one cap, put the stand/boom arm through that hole and then put a (locking) nut on the thread so that cap can still rotate, but it won't fall off. (this may work better inverted)
And then drill a hole in the other cap and put a 3/8"-16 bolt through it, secure it on the outside of the cap with a nut and that's the side that would screw into your shock mount.
I did some looking and it's called various things...3/4" cleanup cap, 3/4" male threaded pvc cap, pipe cap, all sorts of other stuff. I found one that was like 50-cents each that had a thin enough cap to drill through.

Some of them have very thick caps, others not.

This photo isn't the one, but I was going to look later for it when I finish here today.

I think you are right about the brass...PVC might be better...strong but way lighter?

I was going to hit Home Depot and try to prototype it this week.

The prices are all over the place for the same exact stuff, so I was going to try just one and then source it all from AliBaba or maybe Amazon if I end up putting together a bunch?

Maybe doing it this way with locking nut and then epoxy for good-measure?

C.png

OK...after a bunch of different ways of looking at this and trying things I did make this work very well.

They come out to around 3-4 dollars apiece. Cheaper if you want to do allot of them.

Just a few standard parts and super-glue for added protection.

And they are very solid. I have no worries about using them. It turned out, at least for the way I did it, that the plastic garden-hose quick-connectors actually work better than the metal ones, and with the added benefit of being much lighter weight on the end of the stands.

They add about 3.75" to the connection between the mic-clip and stand.

If anyone is interested let me know and I'll put up some photographs and a guide to what I learned, as well as links to get the parts you need on Amazon?

I'm sure others smarter than me could improve upon my ideas!

I ended up doing just four of them, just for the mics and stands I switch around the most frequently (including a stereo-bar-pair of SDCs).

I really didn't need them for everything else, as I'm not a studio and don't need to quickly set stuff up all of the time.

This could be interesting
That is so hip! Way cooler than what I came up with.

And inexpensive too.

And not as clunky as what I came up with.

I don't fish but I looked up what I think is the standard fishing attachment threading and it said 3/8", which is exactly what the little adapter mic-stand doodads I am using are.

I have to see if the thread-count is the same?

The standard microphone stand thread is 5/8" - 27, which is "fine threading".

The 3/8" adapters seem to be coarse thread, though?

Latest posts

Back