Cinemag Trafo Repurp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a volume drop of around 12dB, but the loud sources you tend to record with those mics won't be an issue with decent preamps. I do use the impedance matching resistor with the transformerless SM-57. Again, there is a slight loss (1-2dB) with the resistor in place. If the preamp won't give you what you need, get a better preamp...

I second the Sennheiser eSeries. I got massive guitar sounds with the e906 (similar to the e609 w/ a bright/flat/dark switch), and amazing metal kick sounds from the e902 (paired with a homemade subkick).

On the issue of the mic clipping on loud sources, are you certain it's the transformer saturating? It could be the voice coil.

BTW, you can use the inline impedance matching resistor on any mic that has a 150ohm output impedance (Audix i5, e609, etc.). You can even try it with transformer-coupled output mics (the real reason for the 2P6T switched version) for a type of pre-EQ. My earlier warning about phantom power with these resistors still applies.

-James-

946509_10201196703582774_690234364_n.jpg

I think i took this a little too far... just sayin lol.  The rest of the parts come in this week.  Should have it wired up and running by wed or so.

Wired it up. All point to point.  The cinemag transformer is wired backwards (color wise) from the Jensen transformer in the schematic.  After I realized that the Disgustolink works pretty damn good as a DI.  I haven't tried it out yet as a re-amp, (its 3 am and everyone is sleeping lol)  but ill definitely give it a go tomorrow.  Everything seems to be working properly though.  Pads work.  Not really sure what the "attenuation" does on the DI side of things, does it attenuate the i/o pad?  if so i might not have that wired correctly.
-15 db Pad works great.
:) was a fun little trafo repurpose thanks a lot for the idea and schematic!!!

Last update and this thread is dead...  Tried out the reamp circuit.. AWESOME!!!!  Can't tell its not a guitar playing through the amp, all the little nuances were captures and beautifully reproduced!  Im gonna have me some fun with this box!!! :) :) :)

Latest posts

Back