clasp demo aftermath

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The input would be delayed 100ms for monitoring - then the input (raw) and output (tape) could be monitored live.
DAWs already do something like this I think for using outboard gear with send/returns because they can be monitored live with the latency corrected.

keith all time is real there is no such thing as fake time...

also I never mentioned that the audio your monitoring from clasp in real time is coming off the playback head but the unit can be set up to do so if you so wish to monkey with your musicians.

dmp said:
The input would be delayed 100ms for monitoring - then the input (raw) and output (tape) could be monitored live.
DAWs already do something like this I think for using outboard gear with send/returns because they can be monitored live with the latency corrected.

NO the input is NOT delayed.  The Pro Tools recording is slipped forward after the recording is stopped.
Bruno2000

pucho812 said:
also I never mentioned that the audio your monitoring from clasp in real time is coming off the playback head
When recording, you monitor Input.
In playback, you monitor from DAW a track that has been delayed by the tape machine and the DAW moves it forward by necessary amount to re-sync it.
There's no way PT (or any other DAW) can move forward in real-time.

You guys don't even bother to read my posts.

You (the people) monitor inputs as they are being recorded and/or protools playback of previous recorded tracks.  
Protools monitors the repro head and the Clasp moves the track(s) backwards into place.  If it moved the project forward to the timing of the repro head, every time you overdubbed or punched in, you'd have to relocate the entire project.  Think about it Murray.

This is all done on the fly...... "transparently" is a better term than "real time".  For this to happen in real time, your tape machine would have to be traveling at > 340.29 m/s.  The sonic boom would be as hard to deal with as the tape cost.

Butterylicious said:
You guys don't even bother to read my posts.

You (the people) monitor inputs as they are being recorded and/or protools playback of previous recorded tracks.  
Protools monitors the repro head and the Clasp moves the track(s) backwards into place.  If it moved the project forward to the timing of the repro head, every time you overdubbed or punched in, you'd have to relocate the entire project.  Think about it Murray.

This is all done on the fly...... "transparently" is a better term than "real time".  For this to happen in real time, your tape machine would have to be traveling at > 340.29 m/s.  The sonic boom would be as hard to deal with as the tape cost.

I read them... :)

Record -to- repro head delay = t
Clasp delay plugin on every PT track delay time also = t
Tape machine is always in record
Pro-tools records repro signal (delayed by t)
Clasp box switches PT-rec-enabled channel to input when PT is in record
Clasp plays output signal from PT when not in record

No nudging of tracks necessary. All wav's already have correct timestamps.

Best,
j

Back