Clone Desktop HD to Laptop?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

Hi,

edit - have done some searching.

It's looking like I'll have to bite the bullet and install everything manually. Cloning from one machine to another, unless they have identical hardware specs, appears to be a bad move.

I think on mac this is possible using the migration assistant. What system are you using?

Thanks. It's a win-7 machine. Ideally I would migrate the desktop to laptop, and just turn on laptop with everything inc OS in place. However, I believe that I will need to seek out drivers for the laptop and copy them to a driver folder on the old drive, so that the laptop can see them. From what I've ready (hence editing the post) it's fraught with trouble - and I'm probably better off spending time to do a clean install... However, if you know better...

I assume you won't get out of installing everything again. Clean install is thousand times easier than having driver problems afterwards and dealing with a non-functioning system. Another thing is, you will copy all the unused temporary files and crap files (which appear after some years on windows OS) to your new system which will only use space and make things slower.

without a shadow of a doubt: clean install.
you might wanna check upfront if all hardware in your new machine has win7 drivers. though...
and while you're checking, download them en put them together on a usb stick..

Enjoy!

I had a 100% track record of success into this using Paragon backup and recovery 2012 , + its free
I cloned from desk to laptop and from laptop to different laptop with no issues at all,
the only requirement 64 bit to 64 bit machine and 32 bit to 32 bit machine

Hope this helps,
Dan,

Back