Cloudlifter CL-1Repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No just the one, I borrowed it from a client, so even though he was happy for me to do it, I didn’t want to have a problem!

Don't know if anyone saw this, but Shure seems to have licensed Cloud's "Technology" to put their circuit into the new SM7dB version of the SM7. I would guess Shure licensed the “tech” to avoid a (dubious) patent issue.

From the press release: "New York, NY (September 27, 2023)—Shure has unveiled its latest microphone with the introduction of the new SM7dB, aimed squarely at podcasters, home studio mavens, streamers and the like. The original SM7 was released 50 years ago and the applications it has been used for have changed over the years, so in turn, the mic line, too, is changing with the latest edition, which adds in a Shure-designed, built-in active preamp created with technology licensed from Cloud."

I would think Shure's engineers paid attention to the circuit details, in case anyone has one to look into.

Last edited:
Cloud seemed to have secreted themselves into the Shure product line very effectively ,

Don't know if anyone saw this, but Shure seems to have licensed Cloud's "Technology" to put their circuit into the new SM7dB version of the SM7. I would guess Shure licensed the “tech” to avoid a (dubious) patent issue.
Not only that. I guess Shure engineers could have designed a proper circuit , just like SE, Superlux, Royer, Sontronics and many others have.
Instead they decided to capitalize on commercial synergy between two recognized brands, just like Tesla with Bose or Ferrari with JBL.

Sorry for being late, here are the schematics I did a few years back + curves (one of those are the new Texas Instrument 'Wonder JFet' (or so I seemed to remember) - so that one also has another value for the common Source Resistor ....
The 3n3 is measure in circuit, with a very accurate meter (accuracy might be lass than optimal in this situation) and without Power on the Circuit.

Per

Attachments

• Cloud_CL-1 AC Analysis.pdf
    8.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Cloud_CL-1_new_Fets.pdf
    16.1 KB · Views: 5
Not only that. I guess Shure engineers could have designed a proper circuit , just like SE, Superlux, Royer, Sontronics and many others have.
Instead they decided to capitalize on commercial synergy between two recognized brands, just like Tesla with Bose or Ferrari with JBL.
They are a “lifestyle” company now. Their biggest growth is probably with streamers and podcasters.

Or even more accurately, they're money companies. Money for themselves and/or the shareholders, that is - whichever the case may be.
All companies are money companies, it's their essence.
A company is a living organism, as such it has survival instinct, and money is an essential ingredient of it.
But some companies can reconcile money and utilitarianism.
And others place bling before utility.
Anyway, OT and should be addressed in the Brewery, or left to rest...

These graphs are done with a zero-ohm source impedance.
Actually No - I choose 200R as Source Impedance (but I didn't remember to tell Micro-Cap 12 to write it on the print ...)

Per

Actually No - I choose 200R as Source Impedance (but I didn't remember to tell Micro-Cap 12 to write it on the print ...)

Per
I always treat parsitics as separate explicit elements, in order to avoid confusion. Whatever computer resources savings result from using implicit parasitics are usually negligible.

Oh - I do Not consider Spice (or other simulations) 'the Truth, the Whole Truth and Nothing but the Truth' :rolleyes:
But MicroCap has served me well for years - especially to tune Filters and DC + Gain Levels .... where something like a Switcher, might be far from Real Life experince ....
I don't remember f0 on the real CL-1 .... except it was much higher than I expected it to be, with ZG = 50R ....

Oh - I do Not consider Spice (or other simulations) 'the Truth, the Whole Truth and Nothing but the Truth' :rolleyes:
But MicroCap has served me well for years - especially to tune Filters and DC + Gain Levels .... where something like a Switcher, might be far from Real Life experince ....
I agree. Spice works well for passive circuits... ;)
I don't remember f0 on the real CL-1 .... except it was much higher than I expected it to be, with ZG = 50R ....
With the aforementioned capacitot values and Zs=50r, the response at the input goes to nearly 2MHz, so the actual response at the output is governed by the 6.8k resistors and the test equipment input capacitance

Get a lawyer to write enough bullshit in Klingon language about how electric field moves particles, and you can file a patent for a resistor.

Don't forget you also need to have the money to defend your patent.

Even worse with trademark. You're legally obliged to actively defend your TM. So Apple sued a snackbar in Luxembourg that was called "der Apfel". They knew very well they'd loose the case, but it's what you're supposed to do as a trademark owner.

I don't know the current situation, but some years ago, the EU patent office was rotten to the core.

Sorry for being late, here are the schematics I did a few years back + curves (one of those are the new Texas Instrument 'Wonder JFet' (or so I seemed to remember) - so that one also has another value for the common Source Resistor ....
The 3n3 is measure in circuit, with a very accurate meter (accuracy might be lass than optimal in this situation) and without Power on the Circuit.

Per
did you test it? last time i found out that jfet drains are not perfectly able to work into 1.5k mic input (and 5 meter cable) at high frequencies - i had something like -0.5db at 16k (or even lower). it was different circuit though - jfet differential with current source (low distortion, pretty clean). they suggest additional floor above with pnp bjt pair for output

From my observation and non-lawyerly perspective, patent applications for niche products and markets are not reviewed in-depth by the patent office. Hypothetically, a company could apply for a patent for a phantom-powered JFET amplifier and be awarded a patent. Then, hypothetically, that company could approach other companies who manufacture products with phantom-powered amplifiers (like phantom powered microphone and mic boosters) and notify them that they have infringed on the patent. It would then be upon the "offending company" to petition the Patent Office that there has been an invalid patent issued. That is an expensive and time-consuming process and may not result in a favorable decision, no matter how cut-and-dried the case seems. This could hypothetically be used as an opportunistic money grab or a way to stifle competition. Therefore, it might be cheaper to design the circuit with a different topology or even simply negotiate a low royalty rate to avoid a patent suit (with the negotiating power that the patent may be of questionable value).

It's often hard to find any info about these cases taking place due to the shroud of NDAs.

[All parties referenced by this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons or companies, living or dead, is purely coincidental]

did you test it? last time i found out that jfet drains are not perfectly able to work into 1.5k mic input (and 5 meter cable) at high frequencies
It's not really an issue of "drains are not perfectly able to work into 1.5k". The HF loss is the result of the input being driven by a very high impedance. Remember the output Z of an open-drain stage or a cascode is very high, the FET being in "pentode" region, so the output impedance is actually 13.6kohms (the result of the two phantom supply resistors).
This has two consequences:
  • The overall gain depends very much on the mic input impedance
  • The capacitance of the mic input results in HF loss. Subsidiarily, input transformers can introduce LF loss
In another thread, I explained that and provided a solution that solves these issues by lowering considerably the output impedance.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back