Condensers Microphones Capsules Design Doc

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDad

Hey folks,

I am actually looking for any document wich tread about condenser capsules theory. It's really hard to find some detailed documents. I research physical and mathematical docs about it, with materials influences. I have already looking about capacitors theory but it's hard to find all links with microphones applications.

I am looking for simulation soft like Advanced Design System to simulate capsules conceptions, I guess there is no specific software about it, but maybe... ?

I try to design my own capsule so anything is good to take, like engineering docs... or calculs... or Books...

Thanks you in advance  ;)

AIP Handbook of Condenser Microphones:....
"Not light reading, and almost entirely about the WE 640 reference measurement mike and its several descendants, but heavy on details you need."

Harry F. Olson has the basic design info in one of his books. Olson knew his stuff so well it is hard to see implications from his writings. Also the condenser mike was not "his baby" (that was the ribbon mike).

> looking for simulation soft

There's not even a dozen "professional" studio mike designers; not enough market to support special software.

As the mechanical, magnetic, and electric simulators improve, it does "seem like" this would not be a real-tricky setup in a mixed-mode simulator. But I am a pencil and slide-rule guy, don't ask me.

(Do notice that ALL the classic designs were worked-out before computers. Computers may have allowed refining a 13KHz bump from 1dB to 0.3dB, but somehow we made good recordings before SPICE or ADS.)

Don't re-invent wheels. Copy existing designs. Measure and see where your copy works different-- details can be quite critical and hard to hit. Think about more tension versus more back-volume.

"Omni" theory is far simpler than directional capsules.

Latest posts

Back