Confusing or what?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joaquins said:
ricardo said:
In the 1980's, I did a big investigation of this for Calrec but found the channel matching wasn't much better than a good log pot.

I concluded the most consistent log pots were the P&G faders .. and at a lower price, the better ALPS log pots.

IIRC, the best of the slugged Linears were the Bournes Conductive Plastic ones .. but still not as consistent as a good ALPS log.

The application was 4-gang faders for the Calrec Soundfield Mk4.  In the end, we selected ALPS pots and trimmed them in production.

I have to take your word in this because I never made the test myself.
I was hoping someone else has done an investigation since 1980s with modern stuff.

Good stereo matching log pots is difficult enough.  If anyone knows of good matching 4-gang gain solutions, please post.

I'm hoping for a cheapo solution but today, the digitally cotrolled pots are probably the way to go.

There's some nice BB solutions and PGA2500 is good for mike amps.  Also a THAT 'equivalent' that's available via Innersonix.

Here it's hard enough to find any fader, from the cheaper ones to some decent, if you need a fader you already have a problem, so I can't get into trying good quality pots or whatever since would be almost impossible to me to get a decent sample of stuff to make a worthy test point. Still, yes, probably digital options are a good point to start from but as they are mostly linear using them as any other curve will mean ease a lot of bits to get that curve to work properly, in the lower end of resistance won't be good definition unless using some really good dpots. Maybe a resistor ladder will give better results if division is what is needed, if a rheostat is needed it's quite hard to get a good way to do it with a nice curve.

JS

CJ said:
took me a whole day to find one pot for a Hartke bass amp,

DigiKey has about 20 million choices, split shaft, knurled shaft solid shaft, 1/4 inch, 6 mm shaft, center detent, on and on,

what about a rotary sw with your own custom resistor values?

probably more $$ and work i guess,

Quite right CJ. This pot is to replace an existing rotary switch to make a poor man's version..

Cheers

Ian

Back