Contact cleaner recommendations

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Was wondering what people use for contact cleaner these days. I mainly need it for switches.

I normally use Miller-Stephenson contact re-nu or contact re-nu + lube depending on application but I can’t seem to find any available for sale. I know it sounds weird, but any searching on google, yields zero in stock.

Local auto parts stores (like Napa and Pep Boys) sell a contact cleaner spray that is plastic safe and sold by CRC that works well and is inexpensive.

I’ve heard the crc stuff is abrasive and not so hot… but I have never used it so hard to say.
I've used the CRC stuff plenty of times. I can vouch that it is fine. But for some serious contact cleaning, the Deoxit stuff is the best. The europeans have some weird goo called Teslanol, and they swear by it. Haven't tried it since, AFAIK, it is not legal in the US and not so easy to import here in Mexico.

I've used the CRC stuff plenty of times. I can vouch that it is fine. But for some serious contact cleaning, the Deoxit stuff is the best. The europeans have some weird goo called Teslanol, and they swear by it. Haven't tried it since, AFAIK, it is not legal in the US and not so easy to import here in Mexico.
My biggest issue with deoxit is the d5 modern spout likes to leak. You know with the flip top,
was able to finally find Miller and Stephenson contact cleaner, contact cleaner + lube. Their 730l is safe on plastics which works great for switches.
The 538 cleaner + lube rocks. But I do have stuff to look at in the future as I am always look for what works best

It's kinda like asking, "What kind of wine should I have with my dinner?" Plethora of choices and opinions.
Watcha cleaning? Rotary, pushbutton, toggle, etc? Where is it? Buried between PCB's in a console, or something that you can hang out and flush? Perfect world is to clean the contacts and not the switch, like with paddle power switches or Pultec rotary. And some switches lose the plating on their contacts where no cleaner will help.
I have settled on ProGold with a hypodermic for most situations like console pushbutton or rotary switches. I stay away from pressurized sprays, especially with lube as they really make things worse. You can get subcutaneous (SC) at a drug store without hassle, and sometimes they have intramuscular (IM) customer returns that you can get without filling forms. The IM are longer and stronger than SC, like 1-2" compared to 1/2". I do not like the "tech needle tips" as they are dull at the end and larger than most hypos.
Any flushing comes with consequences because you have removed the switch lubricant. Pushbuttons HATE that. That tiny metal pin traveling the switch grooves needs lube. I use LPS-1 to put some love back if I have flushed something. If I can get to the rotor/key I use the smallest amount of silicon grease. The ProGold is cleaner and conditioner and stays for a while in pushbuttons and toggles. I don't squirt it all over rotary switches.
MS sprays have their place, and again are usually NOT "sprayed" around my bench. I have used CAIG products back to CRAMOLIN R-5 in the 80's and they have solid fixing power.
That said, once you start cleaning switches en mass, you will be back again cleaning the same switches depending on environment and usage. Eventually replacement is the only answer.
CRC? That takes me back to my Dad spraying it on the snowblower and our snow shovels to repel ice, oh about 50 years ago. I would proceed with care there, and test it on some loose plastics first. I will check it out!
Misty water-colored memories. . .1672518823504.png
Happy New Year all!
Mike

My biggest issue with deoxit is the d5 modern spout likes to leak. You know with the flip top
I swapped the leaker assembly with a tip and straw from a CRC mass air flow sensor cleaner can and it works perfect.
Had to waste quite a bit of deoxit trying to find the right combo...but at least that's all that'll be wasted from here on...lol

Latest posts

Back