Converter advice

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zander

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new converter. I now have a focusrite saffire pro 40 + octopre dynamic mkII. Which is I fine for my occasional recording needs. As I spend most of my time mixing and producing. I would like a more reliable and accurate device (the outputs are too low and don't get me starting on the inputs).

I'm looking particularly at the SSL alpha-link madi ax. The 24 analog I/O and the 24 adat I/O (I can integrate my existing focusrite converters for recording and don't need to bring them to the patch bay).

Could somebody tell me what they think about this unit. I've read some on the forum here and there.
What setup? SSL madixtreme? RME madiface usb? RME hdspe madi? If pcie card can be used in thunderbolt 2 expansion chassis (I think the ssl madixtreme drivers are not compatible)?
Is the 22dBu output an issue?

Zander

Hi Zander, i am using 2 SSL Alphalink madi ax powered by an RME Hdspe Madi FX under Windows. Absolutly no issues here. I am mixing in my Peavey AMR 2400 analog console and the 22dBu are no problem. With the madi FX it's a charme to make monitor mixes for the musicians.

Wolfgang

Yes, ist does. I am sending 16 Adat channels over the SSL AX  to the Behringer P-16I / P16M combination for personal monitoring.

mulletchuck said:
Budget?  Operating System?    PCIe?  FW?  USB2?  USB3?  Thunderbolt?

Budget?: the cost of the ssl + madi converter
OS?: Mac 10.9
PCIe?  FW?  USB2?  USB3?  Thunderbolt?: That's the question.

For the money nothing can touch the SPL Madiface IMO. Especially the DA side sounds great.  Components used are very good, THAT line receiver and driver chips and the latest TI op amps).

living sounds said:
For the money nothing can touch the SPL Madiface IMO. Especially the DA side sounds great.  Components used are very good, THAT line receiver and driver chips and the latest TI op amps).

Thanks. Totally forgot they came out with that. What madi interface do you use?
Shouldn't be a problem that there is no adat I guess. I can easily switch converters for tracking/mixing with HW setup. But it would be nice to use an extra channel or two from time to time.

Zander

Okay,

I've selected three options.

1) SSL alpha-link madi ax (+22 dBu i/o & 24 ADAT i/o)
2) SPL madison (+24 dBu i/o selectable no ADAT)
3) Ferrofish A16 mkII (+20 dBu & 16 ADAT i/o )

What MADI card/interface seems to be the best price/quality? I'm leaning most toward the SPL because of the output gain. Or shouldn't I be that concerned about that? Also the expendability seems nice and simple. I could have 32 i/o for less then the price of an SSL. But then there is the Antelope Orion 32... So many choices...

For now SPL Madison with yet undecided madi interface or a used SSL. Reason being that I can afford it right now.

RME has the most stable and user-friendly interface cards. Pricy, but I wouldn't want to work with anything else. You can combine cards of the same series, so a MADI HDSP card and an ADAT/AES etc. HDSP card will work as a single ASIO device in your DAW.

We use the SSL system and its been great.
Also have a Octopre MK2 attached for certain jobs and it clocks fine with the Alpha.

We mostly use it via a SSL Delta Link for Pro Tool but when in logic we run it via the SSL 64 Pci-e madi card.
RME also have an excellent reputation.

I wouldn't worry about the level differences at all.

I recently sourced a PT HD,  Alpha Link - Delta Link system for a friend and he's very happy with it.
You can pickup a used Alpha link AX for around £850. 

I haven't heard any of those, but will add I'm very impressed with the sound of the new MOTU AVB line, it's a huge step up from their previous offerings.  I have the 16A.  Runs TB, USB, and AVB.  The routing interface is good.  Input and output levels are adjustable.  I'd definitely study that line and be sure you want to dismiss it before choosing something else.  There's a very long GS thread with tons of info and measurements. 

I was also leaning more towards RME for two reasons. Their cards are compatible with external TB chassis. And they have the madiface USB. I'm using maxed out mb pro and iMac...
-> Madiface usb go/no go (not the new, xt version)?
-> TB chassis? Stable?

Mrclunk: it's rather hard to find for 850? No?

Seems nice too. This is ridiculous now. I should audition those units but I'm probably not gonna buy them where they have that kind of policy.

emrr said:
I haven't heard any of those, but will add I'm very impressed with the sound of the new MOTU AVB line, it's a huge step up from their previous offerings.  I have the 16A.  Runs TB, USB, and AVB.  The routing interface is good.  Input and output levels are adjustable.  I'd definitely study that line and be sure you want to dismiss it before choosing something else.  There's a very long GS thread with tons of info and measurements.

Good to read this. I'm considering the 16A and was looking for some positive reports.

I've been using Ferrofish predecessor (from 2010 or so) with RME RayDat card. It has been reliable combination and comfortable to use. Worth the price.

Not bad sounding either. At least I cannot pinpoint anything obvious. I have RME babyface to compare.

Thanks for all the reply's. Really helpful.

I made up my mind and bought the ssl alpha-link. It was a bargain and so price per I/O seemed reasonable.

Still not sure if I should go expansion chassis + PCIe card or RME Madiface USB. It seems that the Madiface can't get clock except over MADI. So for future clocking purposes (or not IDK) this seems less desirable.

Zander

Zander said:
Thanks for all the reply's. Really helpful.

I made up my mind and bought the ssl alpha-link. It was a bargain and so price per I/O seemed reasonable.

Still not sure if I should go expansion chassis + PCIe card or RME Madiface USB. It seems that the Madiface can't get clock except over MADI. So for future clocking purposes (or not IDK) this seems less desirable.

Zander

The Madiface USB has BNC as well as optical connectors. The BNC input can double as a wordclock input, so in case your converter uses optical MADI this should work.

Thanks. I went with the RME Madiface USB...

On another note. I've never ordered d-sub/db25 connectors. I've read some posts here about all the different bits & parts.

Can somebody confirm this shell will be big enough? Or advice an another Mouser one?

http://www.mouser.be/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=17E-1726-2virtualkey52350000virtualkey523-17E-1726-2

IDK about this?

http://www.mouser.be/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=DB25P064HTXLFvirtualkey64910000virtualkey649-DB25P064HTXLF

Thank you all for the help.

Zander

Hi,

I finally bought a RME MADIface USB. So now on to soldering de db25. Could anyone recommend connectors (Mouser would be great).

Zander

Back