Cross Country Moving for Studio and Lab Electronics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john12ax7

I'm looking into relocating cross country (US) so trying to find appropraite movers. I have some furniture but most of the stuff is instruments, studio gear, lab equipment, electronics, etc. So wondering if anyone has any recommendations for moving methods or companies that cater more towards studios or electronics labs.

(renting a truck and driving the stuff myself is an undesireable optiion)

part of the california exodus?

pretty soon no one will be here and they all will be elsewhere. In turn it will leave those of us here, to rebuild it back better and stronger.
I just helped relocate a buddy to nashburg. We shipped a large console and the works.
We got pods, packed them up and off they went. When the pods arrived at his new place, they got unloaded

I've wondered about pods. Are they water proof? Think they are shipped on a flatbead so exposed to outside elements. Also any idea on the cost? The options I've looked at so far were many thousands.

The shipping pods look interesting but ASSume they will get dropped and exposed to the elements. Careful packing might protect against both.

===
The safest way is to pack and drive it yourself in a u-haul. I've made several significant distance U-haul moves (as a decades younger person). The trucks are generally underpowered and/or have governors so the trucks you pass climbing up the hills will pass you back on the downhill side. One time I had a tire almost blow out on a u-haul trailer (huge bubble through the tire sidewall) on the way back to u-haul drop off, luckily after the trip.

Most u-hauls are leaving California these days, so there could be an extra surcharge for dead heading out of the state.

Maybe find a young person (or two) you trust to drive for/with you. Cross country is too far for one person to make in a straight shot. Parking a u-haul in a motel/rest stop without security may invite mischief.

If you have a vehicle that needs to move with you, can it pull a trailer?

JR

I've wondered about pods. Are they water proof? Think they are shipped on a flatbead so exposed to outside elements. Also any idea on the cost? The options I've looked at so far were many thousands.
Where you moving to? I didn't book it, I just helped pack it all.
As for being exposed to the elements, they are not temp controlled but they are metal boxes with a metal roll up door, that's is basically no different then a u-haul truck, it just happens to fit on a trailer that they haul for you. I would say they are pretty strong in holding up to rain and such. pods get dropped off at your house and you go from there. outside of some unforeseen truck accident, it's pretty simple and easy as long as you take precaution when packing.

as for cost, ask for a quote... the link below in pods the company, but a few other companies do similar style.

pods

I like cross country driving, but having to drive a truck or tow a trailer would kind of ruin the experience. With the quotes I've gotten for pods and other options it seems almost cheaper to ship individual boxes.

For location I've been looking at is Nashville. The cost of housing in LA is just too much. Hard to stomach paying a million dollars for a 1000 sq ft house on a small lot.

Nashville has suffered some recent flooding so look at 100 year flood plain maps when house shopping.

The cost of shipping individual boxes has been increasing steadily over the last year or two.

JR

I like cross country driving, but having to drive a truck or tow a trailer would kind of ruin the experience. With the quotes I've gotten for pods and other options it seems almost cheaper to ship individual boxes.

For location I've been looking at is Nashville. The cost of housing in LA is just too much. Hard to stomach paying a million dollars for a 1000 sq ft house on a small lot.
Yeah housing costs in L.A. are through the roof and it won't get any better time soon. moving into the golden state is less expensive than moving out of the golden state.
Nashville, austin seems to be the places that everyone in fleeing to who are industry. I have been courted out to nashville myself. It's tempting for sure and leaves a lot to think about. But then again, I am not one to want to pick up move roots without really thinking it all out. Yeah housing prices are less expensive but in the last few years they have jumped so much out there, it's not that less expensive. Do some shopping around before you uproot and remember a lot of times the grass is greener on the other side because they fertilize it with B.S.

Latest posts

Back