Current electricity prices: What does the kWh cost in your country?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would prefer it if you would f**k off from my thread and spout your propaganda venom somewhere else. Your contribution to this forum is reduced exclusively to false information and war propaganda.
Better this way? Tell me witch part is against rule #4 and I will change it. But my opinion about this guy and his Nazi regime will still be the same. I know what this guy stands for and I don´t want to discuss with him again. Makes no sense, he is totally brainwashed.

You are only here to spread war propaganda and lies. You just show up here to make trouble, that's all. Nothing else comes from you.

I don't understand what that is. The 15 cents is the total charge per kwh (actually the base rate is $34.99 and the kwh is $0.1478.) ;)
Is your area served by PG&E? Are you subject to tiered pricing based on usage like most of the more populous areas of CA?

Most of my large appliances run on propane (furnace, water heater, clothes dryer, stove/oven) which unfortunately has gone up from $2.09 to $2.99/gallon this year as it is a refined product of oil. I use about 1000 gallons/year.
At least LP is always on so long as your tank isn't low.

You are only here to spread war propaganda and lies. You just show up here to make trouble, that's all. Nothing else comes from you.
I'm here to show you that the world is huge. In Moscow electricity price is 0.07usd. In Kazakhstan 0.04. In China and other countries the prices didn't change.
No need for panic, EU an US will find money, your ability for money emission seems has no limits.

Better this way? Tell me witch part is against rule #4 and I will change it. But my opinion about this guy and his Nazi regime will still be the same. I know what this guy stands for and I don´t want to discuss with him again. Makes no sense, he is totally brainwashed.
I am not going to parse your post word for word... BE CIVIL...

I'm here to show you that the world is huge. In Moscow electricity price is 0.07usd. In Kazakhstan 0.04. In China and other countries the prices didn't change.
No need for panic, EU an US will find money, your ability for money emission seems has no limits.
Stop poking the bear....

JR

I'm currently paying 10.1 cents per kWh. In Texas' deregulated markets (not all TX regions are) the charges are split between generation and transmission. The actual kW/h generation rate is 6.1 cents with 4 cents/kWh going to distribution/transmission. I'm just entering year 2 of a 3 year contract.

My neighbor's contract expired recently and the best rate he could get was 16 cents/kWh.

Despite all the predictions we never lost power in Dallas during the extreme heat.

Yep, what a surprise. We will happily give a large portion of it to the people of Ukraine so that they can defend themselves and throw you warmongers out of their country.

I don't understand what that is. The 15 cents is the total charge per kwh (actually the base rate is $34.99 and the kwh is $0.1478.) ;)
Here the base rate is $15 then .065 for 1st 1000kwh and .09/kwh after. Then there's a .04/kwh charge for fuel....Will look when I get home to try to make more sense of it....I think it's a charge for the costs of having material delivered to make energy but idk....

Here in CA I get electricity through a rural electric coop, same charge 24/7/365. In Arizona there was a higher charge 9AM to 9PM, so I wired the water heater on a timer and yelled at the family to turn stuff down or off during the day. I also installed a whole house fan (sucks air in thru the windows and out the attic) to cool off the house at night and early AM when appropriate.

I also installed a whole house fan (sucks air in thru the windows and out the attic) to cool off the house at night and early AM when appropriate.
Got one of these a few years ago: one of the best home improvements I have ever done. It can cool the inside down to ambient temperature within 30 minutes and only uses about 200W of power.

My house growing up in NJ had an attic fan and I recall it being used during hot summer nights. My house now has an attic fan that I haven't used for over a decade. My problem with it is that it sucks in tiny mosquitos smaller than the screens can stop, who quickly mature on human blood.

I have considered sucking cool air up from the crawl space under my house and pumping it up into my attic. During cold winter weather I could reverse the flow. I haven't seriously implemented this while I could access both spaces from my laundry room.

The high efficiency Mitsubishi heat pump is wonderful.

JR

About 35$ a month base charge and between 31-38c per KWH based on time of use in Central California. Went up about 15% this year.

View attachment 98680

Here is our current tariff although we should be getting some government relief from 1st of October.
In March 2021 we were paying about 12pence per unit, so it has been a five fold increase in 18 months.
Absolutely fncking terrifying trying to run a small business in the UK right now to be honest.

S.
The latest version of this from Ofgem is 36p per kWHr for electricity and around 13p for gas.

Cheers

Ian

Here it's $11.96 per month basic service charge then 10.53c/kWh for first 1000kWh and 11.22c beyond that. My region has significant nuclear generation (over 30%) which helps. The rates are half or less of what we paid in CA. Natural gas rates aren't too bad, either, but fluctuate more with actual utility purchase price.

Our CA house was more energy efficient (I did that when we remodeled c.2002). Current house needs more attic insulation, radiant barrier, and better windows. That should drop our monthly by 25-30%, maybe more, especially in the summer heat.

Came across some video where Yanis Varoufakis was laying out how this energy pricing stuff was some kind of scam. Not really sure who he is is but it was pretty disturbing to hear.

edit....here it is...

Our CA house was more energy efficient (I did that when we remodeled c.2002). Current house needs more attic insulation, radiant barrier, and better windows. That should drop our monthly by 25-30%, maybe more, especially in the summer heat.
I have long shared that energy losses from housing are still low hanging fruit for significant energy savings. I also could use more attic insulation.

One improvement I made years ago was my redneck DIY storm windows mounted to the insides of my room windows. I have lived up north where homes routinely have storm windows to double insulate that major path of heat loss. My cheaply built home has screens but no glass storm windows. In the spirit of DIY I built wood frames that nestle inside my room windows. The wood frames are wrapped with clear vinyl (think of saran wrap, but thicker. These red neck storm windows effectively give me triple insulated windows. During the winter months I used to get condensation on the inside of glass exterior windows. Since going triple insulated I no longer see any condensation.

Besides lower winter heating bills, I also enjoy lower summer cooling bills. We just celebrated the last day of summer with 90+ weather.

JR

PS; If was married I might have a hard time convincing a wife that my redneck storm windows are beautiful. ;)

EDIT I just visited my utility website to look for details and here is what I got

=======

RESIDENTIAL ELECTRIC SERVICE IS EXEMPT FROM SALES TAX. ALL OTHER TAX TOTALS $ 17.23.

Total Current Electric Service
$ 132.58

$ 125.38 electricity

$ 6.38 Environmental costs.

$0.82 system recovery...

I must speculate that the $17 tax is incorporated into the $125 electricity, I have no idea what the environmental cost is, or the system recovery charge.

Last edited:
I have long shared that energy losses from housing are still low hanging fruit for significant energy savings.
Yes, absolutely.

I also could use more attic insulation.
Windows with low e^2 coatings really help, especially if they receive direct sun. We need them on this house which has several windows that get direct sun much of the day. It might take a decade or more to pay back given current prices.

One improvement I made years ago was my redneck DIY storm windows mounted to the insides of my room windows. I have lived up north where homes routinely have storm windows to double insulate that major path of heat loss. My cheaply built home has screens but no glass storm windows. In the spirit of DIY I built wood frames that nestle inside my room windows. The wood frames are wrapped with clear vinyl (think of saran wrap, but thicker. These red neck storm windows effectively give me triple insulated windows. During the winter months I used to get condensation on the inside of glass exterior windows. Since going triple insulated I no longer see any condensation.
My Dad put in aluminum frame exterior storm windows shortly after building the house he and my Mom built c.1973. Makes a big difference.

Besides lower winter heating bills, I also enjoy lower summer cooling bills. We just celebrated the last day of summer with 90+ weather.
It was over 90F here yesterday, but only high 70s today. Finally feels like fall is here.

Back