Daven attenuator wiring

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pH

I've got a couple of Daven 600/600 ohm ladder attenuators I want to wire to the output of my Federal compressor and my new MILA. I've never wired one of these and am a little confused. There are six contacts, looking at it on its side:

IN C OUT
IN C OUT

I looked at how Electrical Audio is wiring theirs in the Ampex 351 mod and they only use three points:

top side: transformer+ to IN / OUT to XLR pin 2
bottom side: transformer- to C to XLR pin3

This looks like it's unbalanced, yes? Is this how I should wire it? Also, do I terminate this with a 600R resistor like they do?

Cheers,
Paul

It works in a balanced line that way. No reason to terminate a ladder; the impedance is fixed (self terminating). Put a multimeter on the out / common connection and have a look. You do need to terminate T and H attenuators.

Thanks for your reply Doug.

If I take readings on just the left set of contacts I get a constant ~640R between COM and OUT, variable from 310R to 950R between IN and OUT and IN and COM.

On the other side I get no readings at all between any of the contacts on either side.

So it looks like I only use the left side of contacts?

[quote author="pH"]So it looks like I only use the left side of contacts?[/quote]

Sounds like it. Usually there is connection, but sometimes not. they can be jumpered if you needed more contact area, for sure. Your measurements sound right, to memory.

Latest posts

Back