DB54 - 2254 style compressor {update 22.10.19}

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
r2d2 said:
any info about if it is more or less expensive than this :
http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/aml-17-029_extended_info.html

that include limiter as well....

Great Lee-M's review as answer on your question.

My opinion:
DB54 will cost less. How much exact? Depends on your parts. You can follow link with build info, spend a little bit of time and calcuclate exact yours cost.  DB54 contain only compressor, so minus one additional trx that used in limiter sidechain. I used lorlin switches instead expansive (but better of course) Grayhill . EZ2254 can used only Carnhill transformers, DB54 can use any suitable.

PCBs arrived in Berlin,
they look and feel fantastic.
plus very well packed.
Really looking forward to building these.

thanks a lot !!!

dirty1_1garry said:
Great Lee-M's review as answer on your question.

My opinion:
DB54 will cost less. How much exact? Depends on your parts. You can follow link with build info, spend a little bit of time and calcuclate exact yours cost.  DB54 contain only compressor, so minus one additional trx that used in limiter sidechain. I used lorlin switches instead expansive (but better of course) Grayhill . EZ2254 can used only Carnhill transformers, DB54 can use any suitable.

Is it possible to use Grayhill switches instead of lorins? And if so, what is the production number?

Thanks,

M

MrBlomski said:
Is it possible to use Grayhill switches instead of lorins? And if so, what is the production number?

Thanks,

M

No, it's impossible to use Grayhils switches on DB54 boards as pcb designed with Lorlin switches seat place. For my opinion Lorlin are GOOD switches, absolutely not bad. Never had any troubles with them, they are in my first choice list. You can find them in Thermionic mastering equipment for example.

Boards arrived today! And I have to say, they look fantastic. Really nice quality. Thanks Igor! Looking forward to getting stuck into this one in the new year...  8)

Hi Igor,

I'm probably missing something really obvious, but I'm not clear on the values of the 'attack time' resistors (R23-28 on PCB1). The BOM lists them as "?? See manual" - which manual do you mean? I can't find anything in your Google Drive folder setting that out, and haven't been able to find anything either elsewhere on GDIY or on Google. What values should we be using? Like I say, I feel I must be missing something obvious here...

Linked to that - do you have a schematic for the DB54?

Cheers!
Andy

Also missing in the bom is the part number for the connectors, that hold the BA cards

Hi Igor

The PCB`s are soldert (they are very nice) & the PSU is working..... :D
Now i need some info`s about how to hook up the transformers and later on how to calibrate the compressor......
Shematic would be nice ;)

Thank you very much
cheers

rolf

Looks very nice, congrats !
Can you tell me the part number of the BA card connectors ?

thanks,
Andreas

http://www.ebay.de/itm/10-Card-Edge-Connector-2x18-Pin-36-Pin-Gold-Slot-PCB-Panel-Solder-Socket-Harness-/291761929882?hash=item43ee5dbe9a:g:usYAAOSwvU5XNCo7

RuudNL said:
Is there a schematic available, so we can see what we are talking about?
(I scanned all previous posts, but didn't find it.)

No schematic for this project?  Or is it an exact clone?  ? ???

Hi all!
I'm in a process of gathering all the part for this project an I need some help.

1) Is this power trafo good? http://www.banzaimusic.com/Talema-TRT30215.html
2) Which BC184C transistors need to be matched with each other, it's hidden in the BOM?
3) I'm also curious about those ??? resistors (R23 - R28) used for attack?

Back