DBX 118 PSU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes...!

I went through again on the ceramics and electrolytic s...

1. Ceramics so far ( I know that I am not suppose to draw conclusion with components in circuit, but sometimes could you give you some indication is anything is failing)

C3 suppose to be 100pf. I am measuring 12pf

C18 spot on

C12 according to schema 33pf but I am getting there 70pf.

I have replaced the C13 and C11 tantalums. The C11 gave me leaky readings in circuit before replacing to a new one. Now C11 reads no fault on my tester while in circuit, So that part I guess was already damaged at some point.

I am also suspecting that OA5 is out. Not sure if I could check this with a DMM ..

btw I have removed the RMS and the VCA boards there were not in yesterday too when I did the testing for safety purposes.

Happy Easter dudes!

Yeah in circuit tests should be verified if showing wrong......usually it's just circuit throwing off readings but still....
ceramics are usually pretty tough......
I was also curious about C5 and 9.......the non-polars.......

Any electros or tants are usually weak links outside of any damage that could/may have been caused......... That's crazy if you were over voltaging everything as I understand..... who knows......maybe you got out ok.....

You can always check to make sure all the opamps are getting their power......

and you can Run a signal through the circuit and see where it gets funky.....

You should be pretty close I'd imagine....

Happy Easter!

scott2000 said:
Yeah in circuit tests should be verified if showing wrong......usually it's just circuit throwing off readings but still....
ceramics are usually pretty tough......
I was also curious about C5 and 9.......the non-polars.......

Any electros or tants are usually weak links outside of any damage that could/may have been caused......... That's crazy if you were over voltaging everything as I understand..... who knows......maybe you got out ok.....

You can always check to make sure all the opamps are getting their power......

and you can Run a signal through the circuit and see where it gets funky.....

You should be pretty close I'd imagine....

Happy Easter!

Thanks Dude...

C5 and 9 no polars a OK...they are 100V rated. ...I am really suspecting the OA5...maybe that has gone...

Do you know any now days replacement for that?

I can get hold of a

AD OP27GPZ

or

National LM308N

They are all within specs but not sure they would operate fully as it should...

is that an LM301??

Hmmmm....Last time I checked ....about a year ago....lol....Mouser had a bunch.....now I guess they don't.....

Pretty sure I have some if you need......Just pm me......

I haven't looked at the modern replacement options so maybe someone else could jump in....

why are you suspecting it is bad???

Thanks!

Appreciate it..will check Mouser or Farnell out !

Yes, the LM301AN...thats is the only thing I am suspecting at this moment or the switch shorted...I don't know what else could be wrong to be honest with you...altough, i have not checked the resistors through...

I've had luck tracing a signal to see what's happening in parts of circuits...... Opamps are pretty tough from my experience but they do go bad/get damaged...... especially when accidentally reversed...lol

If they're in sockets you may want to pull and re-seat them.....

I've had a bad socket before (small crack) that ran me around one time so anthing's game.....

Good luck!

scott2000 said:
I've had luck tracing a signal to see what's happening in parts of circuits...... Opamps are pretty tough from my experience but they do go bad/get damaged...... especially when accidentally reversed...lol

If they're in sockets you may want to pull and re-seat them.....

I've had a bad socket before (small crack) that ran me around one time so anthing's game.....

Good luck!

Hey

Thank you !! :)

I have visually checked the sockets and tested each pin for continuity also the pcb too, all the soldering wiring are pristine and nothing is out of ordinary or burning.

I went further and I have checked the voltages withot the RMS and VS board in also without any IC in , just the socket pins.

All the +12 and -12 are at present.

OA3 reads the following : ( and again those ceramic disc caps at C8 and C17 hmmmm)...

Pin4  -12 VDC
Pin 8  +12 VDC

The rest of pins are 0 mV, in fact all of the pins are starting around 120mV on my DMM and slowly decreasing down to in about 1 minute or so...

It seems that pin2, 3 and 6, 7 are all connected to those ceramic disc caps....15pf..so small value that I can not check this.

---------

The OA4 has different values and readings on each pin's so the OA5. So there are voltages there on each pin...

...something is going on at OA3.....??  :eek:

Studiogearlover said:
It seems that pin2, 3 and 6, 7 are all connected to those ceramic disc caps....15pf..so small value that I can not check this.

---------

The OA4 has different values and readings on each pin's so the OA5. So there are voltages there on each pin...

...something is going on at OA3.....??  :eek:

I'm kinda lost /getting lost on what it is you are trying to say entirely ..... I really thing that plugging in some numbers over the schematic would really speed things up for anyone trying to help.......

OA 4 and 5 have either different pin outs or functions most likely and would result in different readings.....from 3??

Some areas of the circuit may not /should not have a dc reading.....etc...

If you send a signal/tone through, you may be able to tell where it goes awry???  Don't forget that would be an AC voltage...........

scott2000 said:
I'm kinda lost /getting lost on what it is you are trying to say entirely ..... I really thing that plugging in some numbers over the schematic would really speed things up for anyone trying to help.......

OA 4 and 5 have either different pin outs or functions most likely and would result in different readings.....from 3??

Some areas of the circuit may not /should not have a dc reading.....etc...

If you send a signal/tone through, you may be able to tell where it goes awry???  Don't forget that would be an AC voltage...........

I agree... i will stop for now and  thank you so far for the suggestions.

i think until I have brand new set of ICs and OP amps which I will know 100% sure is working ( I had only used ones so far) not not much I could or we could conclude of...

Thanks again...and will focus on getting a fully working  TL82s and LA301s... and then carry on afterwards..

8)

Back