DEAD GB-1 500 series variable Peak/RMS Limiter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello groupdiy friends!
I've managed to design the original Gain Brain FET limiter as a 500 series DIY kit.

GB-1 Limiter - A Peak/RMS FET Limiter adapted to the 500 series format.
A faithful recreation of a 1970’s era FET limiter circuit with a clever variable adjustment between peak and RMS Limiting
via a “Function” knob.
Additional controls include Input, Output, and Release knobs, as well as a Gain Reduction off toggle switch, and overall Bypass toggle.
The 7-segment LED meter tracks gain reduction, and Peak and RMS LEDs indicate which type of limiting is occurring at your settings.
THAT ics for balanced input/output operation running off the +/-16v 500 series power, as well as DC-DC converter circuitry generating
the +24v and +21v rails required for the original schematic.

Killer little limiter for all sorts of sources but especially useful on drums and bass.

Photo Dec 15, 5 42 56 PM.jpg
Photo Dec 15, 5 46 01 PM.jpg
Photo Dec 15, 5 48 50 PM.jpg

GB-1 rev-D Build Docs:
DEAD GB-1 rev-D BUILD DOCS

partial Mouser Cart:
https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManag...jectGUID=b93a25ca-4a3c-4c3b-ac02-5a732a6eaef2

Last edited:
Nice job indeed! The name is a bit confusing. I thought this thread was about a compressor which didn't work anymore, so was dead :ROFLMAO:

Working on demo audio/video now. I'll upload here when I've got it. I tested noise level as per the same spec of the original documentation (Allison Research lists 83 dB below peak limiting as their noise level), and my clone tested at 86 dB below peak limiting. Makes sense as this is a straight clone just with addition of the THAT ics for balanced i/o and an added overall bypass switch. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back