Difference in sound between a AC701k and 6072A in a ELA M251?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been doing some more research and from what I've found the 251 had both the shallow dish and the deep dish CK12s. Mid-1960 seems to be when the deep dish started to get used. The 251 I compared the 414 EB to, should have the deep dish because it is from 1961.

https://gearspace.com/board/showthread.php?p=14012532

Also, I haven't found any indication that AKG used the shallow dish CK12 in any of their later microphone models after the 251.

So, unless the 251 was made pre mid-1960 and sold in 1961, both it and the 414 EB should have the deep dish version of the capsule.

EDIT: The 251 in those two shootouts are the modern reissue by Telefunken USA. If it is from the early 2000s it might have an original CK12 in it, otherwise it would be a recreation.

Last edited:

@Double G

I've been doing some more research and from what I've found the 251 had both the shallow dish and the deep dish CK12s. Mid-1960 seems to be when the deep dish started to get used. The 251 I compared the 414 EB to, should have the deep dish because it is from 1961.

https://gearspace.com/board/showthread.php?p=14012532

Also, I haven't found any indication that AKG used the shallow dish CK12 in any of their later microphone models after the 251.

So, unless the 251 was made pre mid-1960 and sold in 1961, both it and the 414 EB should have the deep dish version of the capsule.
Nope…

All the AKG-Telefunken ELA-M 250 & AKG-Telefunken ELA-M 251 (E and non E) microphones had the CK-12 Deep Dish Capsule and T14/1 Output Transformer

As you can see by the attached schematic all of these ELA-M’s (E and non E) were “officially” dated at 1961

The AKG – Siemens SM 204/3 was a Cathode Bias microphone like the AKG-Telefunken ELA-M 250 & AKG-Telefunken ELA-M 251 (E and non E) microphones, but from the other hand it has the CK-12 Flat-Shallow Dish Capsule and the Rohde & Schwarz V-2545 Output Transformer

Also the AKG – Siemens SM 204/3 had a different circuit than the AKG-Telefunken ELA-M 250 & AKG-Telefunken ELA-M 251 (E and non E) microphones had and it is more “close to” an AKG C-24 Stereo Microphone circuit or to a C-12 Microphone System circuit…

Your AKG 414 EB microphone although it was produced back at 1976, it had by designer’s choice the CK-12 Flat-Shallow Dish Capsule, because back in this time at the AKG AG they tried to re-produced the “vintage vibe” of the 50’s C-12 Microphone System, but this time used FETs…

If you want it like to see it in a synth analogy, it was something like the Moog Voyager monosynth, as the Moog Co. tried to replicated with the Voyager the sound of the legendary Moog Minimoog with more modern features…

Now as I wrote you before if someone’s like to have a more extended range in the low end of a 6072A / 12AY7 tube in the AKG-Telefunken ELA-M 250E & AKG-Telefunken ELA-M 251E circuits and in the AKG – Siemens SM 204/3 circuit, he can easily use 2 Signal / Rectifier Diodes (0.6 Volts), wired them in Series and use them as Cathode bias element in the place of the 1k8 Cathode Resistor

He can either use a ECC81 / 12AT7 tube with a 2k7 Cathode Resistor or just a Red LED (1,6 Volt) as Cathode bias element in the place of the 2k7 Cathode Resistor and then he will get again more extended range in the low end of a ECC81 / 12AT7 tube…

In a more “advanced way” he can either wired the ECC81 / 12AT7 tube “en parallèle” and then he can use just a White LED (1 volt) as Cathode bias element…

As you can see as DIY’er there are many more “tricks and tips” that someone’s can do today, than they couldn’t have been done by AKG AG, back in the times of ‘50’s and ‘60’s…
EDIT: The 251 in those two shootouts are the modern reissue by Telefunken USA. If it is from the early 2000s it might have an original CK12 in it, otherwise it would be a recreation.
Nope again…

The Telefunken Elektroakoustic USA ELA-M 251E microphone(s) HAVE NOT any original AKG AG “Brass” CK-12 capsule in them, as they nether they had or have…

Since they haven’t (as Telefunken Elektroakoustic USA) reviled who is the original manufacturer of the capsule, it may be a Chinese one…

Attachments

• AKG - Telefunken ELA M250 Schematic.pdf
    73.2 KB
Back