Distilled Water Los Angeles

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electrobumps

Does anyone know of a store that stocks distilled water? I can get it online, but it is expensive. I've tried a couple of CVS and Walgreens without success.

Most supermarkets sell de-ionized water. That's a lot cheaper than true distilled. Are you sure you need distilled?

Drink rain water and pure grain alcohol to preserve your essence.
Haha

I have seen distilled water at the local grocery store. Any reason why you need it? Is there a health benefit to it?
Works better in clothes irons and steamers, especially if you have hard tap water. Also for engine coolant (and maybe liquid cooled computers) where other contaminants can cause corrosion or clogging.

Works better in clothes irons and steamers, especially if you have hard tap water. Also for engine coolant (and maybe liquid cooled computers) where other contaminants can cause corrosion or clogging.
When I was a kid my mother collected rainwater to use in her iron. Nowadays rain water may not be that trustworthy.

JR

I use it also for the iron sponge, my iron was very expensive and it was recomended in the manual to clean the tip and only use for the sponge distilled water.
I guess it has to do with the minerals and chemics used in tap water, maybe they provide earlier damage to the tip material over time

Drink rain water and pure grain alcohol to preserve your essence.

I have seen distilled water at the local grocery store. Any reason why you need it? Is there a health benefit to it?
"And as human beings, you and I need fresh, pure water to replenish our precious bodily fluids."

I LOVE that movie.

Get an RO unit from amazon - they are so cheap most stores can't afford to carry them any longer. Then... add a 10" post filter to it with DI resin, preferably the color changing kind. Then you will have pure, precious fluids for cleaning things, and making kick butt coffee... or grain alcohol.

We use that water here for the ultrasonic cleaners, soldering sponge when used, the CNC mist, CNC coolant base, and basically for cleaning all kinds of stuff in a safer manner than tap water.

I use it also for the iron sponge, my iron was very expensive and it was recomended in the manual to clean the tip and only use for the sponge distilled water.
I guess it has to do with the minerals and chemics used in tap water, maybe they provide earlier damage to the tip material over time
Not only solder tip longevity, I feel it makes a difference to solder joint integrity.

I watched some Nasa tutorials back in the day and wiping the solder with alcohol, using silver solder and distilled water for teh sponge took me from C grade soldering to perfect joints. To be fair I got a Metcal at the same time which is like having superpowers.

Back