DIY 19' 3 slots 500 series Rack

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oran.outan

Hi All

As I wasn't excited by commercial one's I build my own 19' 3 slot 500 Rack.
As always, Rack and Front/Rear panel from Frank at frontpanel.de
PSU is @volker PN48PSU (great PSU ! ;)

If one's interested I attach the FPD files (front and rear).
!!! on the front panel, As there is not so much material after the cut and find it a little thin, i add/drill holes to attach frontpanel with top/bottom that is not on the Fpd file.
Note: the holes are not thread as I made it myself but Frank could do it !
I also Add/drill a hole for a power Led (finally still useful !).
In place of the Led a switch could be add with a small size one, but not so much space...
I made a small PCB to set the 15 pin edge connector and wires (Edac model is Oupiin 8706-30G00D). Gerber in link...

Enjoy !

IMG-1659.JPGIMG-1660.JPGIMG-1662.JPG66cfc930-eae1-475a-b380-8b76a9b96822.JPG

Attachments

• NRG_3x_500H.zip
    4 KB · Views: 28
  • 500Edge.zip
    51.3 KB · Views: 32
Hi Rich.
you're welcome !
don't hesitate if you have any questions...
Not so hard to do and way better noise floor than my bento2...

Hi Rich.
you're welcome !
don't hesitate if you have any questions...
Not so hard to do and way better noise floor than my bento2...

I've already modded the front panel for threaded holes and changed the rear panel to Neutrik D-Series connectors. :)

I have a friend who was looking for one of these and I might mod a version into a 2 channel unit for him, and make it so it accepts the CAPI style 5 pin XLR power cord as well.

Oh wow, that's really cool.

And if you DIY all the modules you can have the text on the faceplates rotated to sit correctly.

Preamp - EQ - Compressor, would make a cool channel strip.

Nice one ! (y)

do you have BOM you could share for the internal components? I was looking to make one of these for a custom channel strip with 500 series

Hi

PSU is Volker [silent art] PN48PSU, that you can find on the white market. I get the Oupiin 8706-30G00D from him too.
I don't really have a BOM for it, but I can share you the Mouser Cart I used. It will maybe miss few things but there is most of them and will be a good start.

transformer is : https://www.reichelt.de/de/fr/transformateur-toro-dal-30-va-2-x-15-v-2-x-1-0-a-rkt-3015-p15275.html
(Color code:
red: AC
yellow: GND
blue: GND
green: AC)

but you could use any 30va 2x15 or 2x18v like triad VPT series.

best
0-0

NOTE !!! DON'T USE THE 1000UF CAPACITOR LISTED ON THE BOM !!! IT'S TOO HIGH (35,5MM) AND WILL NOT FIT ON A 1U RACK !!! YOU NEED ONE SIZE 31/31,5 OR LESS !!!

Attachments

• PN48PSU_Bom.pdf
    233.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Nice work. How does it compare to the radial workhorse 3 slot 19” rack and what didn’t you like about that solution? Lump line adapter?

did you use capi 500 extension jigs to connect the units?
No ! I made a small PCB to set the 15 pin edge connector and wires (Edac model is Oupiin 8706-30G00D). Gerber in 1st post link...

Nice work. How does it compare to the radial workhorse 3 slot 19” rack and what didn’t you like about that solution? Lump line adapter?
Nothing wrong with the Radial, but yes maybe the external PSU !
and probably cost me half the price!

No ! I made a small PCB to set the 15 pin edge connector and wires (Edac model is Oupiin 8706-30G00D). Gerber in 1st post link...

Nothing wrong with the Radial, but yes maybe the external PSU !
and probably cost me half the price!
awesome. any chances of making any more and selling them? or linking ur pcbs for the the edge connectors and other pcb for the capacitors and power?

Not sure to well understand !
for connection between the 'male' connector of the 500 series I made a PCB with a 'female' connector. on this PCB you solder wire for IN/OUT = XLR and power (+16/-16/48). the power supply can be link between the boards...

I don't have PCB of them yet (or maybe 1) but if you're not in rush yes I could make others and sell you some...

Not sure to well understand !
for connection between the 'male' connector of the 500 series I made a PCB with a 'female' connector. on this PCB you solder wire for IN/OUT = XLR and power (+16/-16/48). the power supply can be link between the boards...

I don't have PCB of them yet (or maybe 1) but if you're not in rush yes I could make others and sell you some...
I was asking if you had a pcb or a design to share for the power. you have the power transformer connected to the board in the back. that is then wired to the 3 different 500s . I see your mouser cart but trying to get the board to connect all that to for the 16+- and 48v.

I have buy and use the PN48PSU from volker aka [silent art] that you can find on the white market. If you're interested you can mail him...

Magnifique réalisation @oran.outan ! exactement ce que je recherche, d'autant qu'il y a peu de dispos 1U 3 slots en Europe actuellement.
Merci pour ce partage ! Par contre je ne connais pas encore ces formats de fichiers. Que me recommanderiez-vous comme soft pour les circuits sous Windows : Gerbv, viewplot ? et pour la façade : Front Panel Designer ?
Et comment sont stabilisés les modules 500 : par leur fixation en façade + 15 pin à l'arrière uniquement ?

Si je récapitule :
* achat frontpanel.de du rack 1U 19" : auriez-vous une réf à recommander ? je ne m'y retrouve pas sur son site
+ envoi à Frank du dossier 500Edge pour obtenir les panels avant et arrière prédécoupés
* achat du PN48PSU et du Oupiin 8706-30G00D à volker aka [silent art]
* achat du transformer
* achat des autres composants pour les 3 PCB 15pin, et des connecteurs XLR et cshuko
* achat des attaches frontpanel with top/bottom (je ne vois pas trop où trouver ces attaches)

* assemblage des 3 PCB 15pin et autres connecteurs
* assemblage de l'alim
* finalisation du boitier (renforts + trous en front)
"In place of the Led a switch could be add with a small size one, but not so much space..."
=> j'ai l'impression qu'un petit switch à levier pourrait tenir à côté de la led

Navré pour ces tâtonnements, je débute :|
Mais d'ailleurs vous voudriez pas m'en construire un ? :)

bonjour Matho

Pour le design de face avant j'utilise : Front Panel Express Your Expert for Front Panels and Enclosures qui sort un fichier .Fpd que la plupart des fabricants vont pouvoir utiliser tel quel...
Pour le dessin de PCB : KiCad EDA
le format de fichier conventionnel pour l'impression de PCB est Gerber. si tu as un fichier .Grb tu peux l'envoyer à n'importe quel fabricant de PCB (JLCPCB, PCBway,...).

Et comment sont stabilisés les modules 500 : par leur fixation en façade + 15 pin à l'arrière uniquement ?
oui c'est ça !
Si je récapitule :
* achat frontpanel.de du rack 1U 19" : auriez-vous une réf à recommander ? je ne m'y retrouve pas sur son site
+ envoi à Frank du dossier 500Edge pour obtenir les panels avant et arrière prédécoupés
Tu envoi un mail à frontpanel.de (Frank) et tu lui demande un devis avec infos de paiement:
- NRG 1U Case : Kopie von NRG CASE 1U (300mm Tiefe), 69,81 €
- Tu lui envoi les 2 fichiers dans NRG_3x_500H
Je te le remet ici : ajout du filetage pour le montage des modules 500 + la led à droite.
je préfère ne pas ajouter le trou du Switch car le diamètre dépend du Switch que tu utilise. Pareil pour les trous/points de fixation entre le frontpanel et le boitier (entre le haut/bas du rack et la face avant pour renforcer...). mais c'est quand même nécessaire de mettre des renforts...
- 1x IEC connector + 3x XLR (male/femelle)
https://shop.frontpanels.de/IEC-Connectorhttps://shop.frontpanels.de/XLR-female-connectorhttps://shop.frontpanels.de/XLR-male-connector* achat des attaches frontpanel with top/bottom (je ne vois pas trop où trouver ces attaches)
https://shop.frontpanels.de/navi.php?a=260(perso, j'ai fait ça avec des équerre alu que tu trouve à Leroy Merlin... que j'ai taraudé, mais très pratique si pas équipé en bricolage)

oui, * achat du PN48PSU et du Oupiin 8706-30G00D à volker aka [silent art] --> tu trouve son contact dans le whiteMarket
Tu trouvera le BOM (liste composants) pour le PN48PSU un peu plus haut dans le fil de discussion...

* achat du transformer
oui, il te faut un CC 2x18v / 36v CT, genre:
https://www.reichelt.de/de/fr/transformateur-toro-dal-30-va-2-x-15-v-2-x-1-0-a-rkt-3015-p15275.htmlhttps://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/Triad-Magnetics/VPT36-1390?qs=wkKrz7WmEgM2EIrgD3Tzhw==
*Il faut que tu fasse une commande de PCB pour les 500edge (le petit PCB sur lequel tu viens souder le OUpiin et le reste) /// je n'en ai plus en Rab et ne peut pas t'en dépanner...
--> fichier 500 edge dans le 1er post.
pour les fixer/tenir, j'ai utiliser une équerre alu...

* assemblage des 3 PCB 15pin et autres connecteurs === OUI
* assemblage de l'alim === OUI
* finalisation du boitier (renforts + trous en front) === OUI
"In place of the Led a switch could be add with a small size one, but not so much space..."
=> j'ai l'impression qu'un petit switch à levier pourrait tenir à côté de la led
---> pas possible à coté de la Led mais possible de l'autre côté :: d'un côté du rack tu met la led, de l'autre le Switch...

Mais d'ailleurs vous voudriez pas m'en construire un ?
Ca peut se faire si vous etes pas pressé ! je fais ça sur mon "temps libre"...
Après, pas sûr que ça soit avantageux par rapport à un produit du commerce! Mais possible...
Envoyez moi un message pour en discuter si c'est ce que vous voulez...

0-0

Attachments

• NRG_3x_500H.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 0
avec autant de détails je devrais pouvoir gérer :)
une telle qualité de partage c'est rare, merci encore !
de quoi apprendre un paquet de nouveautés, rien qu'avec les 2 softs j'ai de quoi faire...

juste une précision :
oui, * achat du PN48PSU et du Oupiin 8706-30G00D à volker aka [silent art] --> tu trouve son contact dans le whiteMarket
Tu trouvera le BOM (liste composants) pour le PN48PSU un peu plus haut dans le fil de discussion...

je pensais que Volker construisait ses PN48PSU avec ses propres composants, mais en fait il faut lui fournir le BOM car il doit utiliser, entre autres, des capacitors de hauteur <=31.5mm, c'est bien l'idée ? mais c'est Volker qui achète et assemble, pas besoin de lui fournir des composants ?

NOTE !!! DON'T USE THE 1000UF CAPACITOR LISTED ON THE BOM !!! IT'S TOO HIGH (35,5MM) AND WILL NOT FIT ON A 1U RACK !!! YOU NEED ONE SIZE 31/31,5 OR LESS !!!

Hi Matho,

please, write in English like everyone can follow and understand...

je pensais que Volker construisait ses PN48PSU avec ses propres composants, mais en fait il faut lui fournir le BOM car il doit utiliser, entre autres, des capacitors de hauteur <=31.5mm, c'est bien l'idée ? mais c'est Volker qui achète et assemble, pas besoin de lui fournir des composants ?
NO, you have to order him the PCB and on your side order the component... then, assembly the board (solder the component).
As I know, Volker only sell PCB. but Maybe He could build It for you. You have to ask him directly !
The BOM is the list of component and references that help make it more easier for find them. The BOM link is refering to Mouser distributor. you just have to enter the reference on the search bar for find the component. If missing you get the caracteristics for get a similar one.
As I note, the BOM refering to a capacitor which not fit on 1U rack (the capacitor size is too high and you need a smaller one).

Back