DIY Audio Demo's...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised on how the CLX was able to compress the guitar, nice recordings btw (any info on what you used? :)). Also It seems that most of the files peak was around -1 db or so...I don't know if you have access to a program that will analyze the file and tell you the peak....I think there is a way to do it in pro tools I just can't remember at the moment....maybe its in normalize? If you send them to me I can do it in wavelab.

Yeah, checking them all out now.. Thanks for doing this Abe!

I like the "sets" idea as well.  Maybe we could do sets by source so people can check out all the different compressors on Acoustic, then another set of compressors on snare, etc..

Its basically a stereo vari-mu 176 with the PRR sidechain. I think Bluebird was the first to put these together, but I believe he was using a different tube than the 176. Mine has balanced In/out that makes it more friendly with +4 operation. It uses one 6bc8 tube per channel. It has input/output controls like 1176. I just have the prototype right now, I'm getting PCBs made for it soon, and want offer them to the community (as soon as I find out I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by offering them :)). Its my new favorite compressor by far! Oh and in the spirit of PRRs original, its made using all edcor transformers :) Nice and inexpensive. But there is also room for other transformer types.
Cheers,

Abe

Haha! Oh just realized these are the control files are the ones used on VK. That answers my question on what was used during the recording then ;)

Haha! Well good question, I just like the idea PRR came up with of using op-amps for sidechain and makeup gain and then tubes for the GR. I love tubes, but am much more familiar with the operation of opamps. So I guess I feel more familiar with this design. Plus I'm surprised on how good it sounds with the in-expensive transformers. And no 200v - 300v!! I don't mind high voltages....but I'd be a liar if I said they didn't make me a bit anxious!

And..Lets just say...the Pye is on hold at the moment!

Cheers,

Abe

Uploading some sound samples

33609 w/original, correct Marinar iron
EMI TG Limiter
LA2A w/UTC's A10, A24, Drip T4B

It doesn't matter what level you put them out at, Soundcloud normalizes them when you upload.

Enjoy.

Biasrocks - that's great!

Are you sure about the normalising?  It seemed like your files were quieter/softer than the control.

Also, I couldn't see the LA-2A samples...?

What is the login/password?

I will have samples in the next few weeks, comparing three G1176 Rev F
1. Board input/Lundahl output
2. Lundahl input/Lundahl output
3. Board input/OEP output

Neil

Hmmm, maybe not. The wave form certainly looks normalized but may not transfer over to the actual audio.

I had to bring down the level of the source files drastically to properly drive the outboard gear, they're insanely loud. I don't think it's important to get all the levels the same, in fact it's probably down right impossible. It's really just to showcase the sound/tone of some of these units. I'm using the same settings for all the tracks, which are not necessarily the best settings or the ones I would use on each track, but it demonstrates the sound of the unit.

The LA2A sample should be up there now.

Mark

Le Roux - "groupdiy" - "thelab"

Biasrocks - would you mind if I tried to match the levels of your recordings with the control files and re-up them?

Okay, just uploaded some bass control files..

Tried to play the sort of stuff you might find yourself mixing day-to-day.
8th-note rock (played with a pick) and slow finger-style.

No eq or compression on either.
Bass > DI > Pre > A/D

My 2 cents, if you guys are gonna post audio clips the levels need to be matched and you need to give some details of what's in your unit.  Other wise this whole thread is pointless and the comparisons are pointless - it becomes comparing apples to oranges to guinea pigs to chainsaws to toe nails or the equivalent to saying "this is what food tastes like".

The loudness factor is quite real, so if you have an unprocessed file at 10db and a processed file at 0db (which in actuality probably sounds alot nicer), the human ear will automatically associate the louder original file as the better one, simply because it's louder.

Also, since this is DIY and every unit is different, whether you use $5 edcors and $2 tubes or $100 sowters and $200 NOS tubes in your LA2A is going to have a big impact on the sound, or maybe not, this is the kind of stuff that makes these comparisons very useful.

Yes I agree....the more detailed we can get the better.

How about some SA3A action? :)

And to start off detailed-ness: In my CLXs they both use polypropylene coupling caps throughout and one uses a THAT2180A and the other channel THAT2180B. I don't remember which is which but I used both for different stuff.

The PRR used RCA cheapish tubes and edcor input transformers and then some 1:1 small input transformers I scavenged (cheap) for the interstage. 

Okay, DBX 160VU files are up.
As is my Mnats Rev D 1176 with UTC input and EA output.
I say we just normalise every file to -1db peak...

Latest posts

Back