DIY Audio Demo's...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dubka said:
Okay, DBX 160VU files are up.
As is my Mnats Rev D 1176 with UTC input and EA output.
I say we just normalise every file to -1db peak...

Sweet!!

Also  I second that -1db normalization.

Nice. Thanks for making it possible to hear a clx next to an original, first time I am able to hear an example. They do sound very much alike! Nice and poppy on the snare. My first impression is that the original has a tad "pop" but then again its very close. I think the differences are so small it could be small differences in settings and or calibration. I know the clx can be very poppy when pushed. This is a great idea. I'm surprised on how similar many pieces of equipment sound when the levels are matched and everything.

I've taken the liberty of making sets, making it easier to hear similar stuff side by side. Also sorry for posting the "elusive" PRR-176 but its basically a PRR...I imagine the original PRR sounds very much like it.

You guys can go ahead and normalize, but I still think the levels will be all over the place, at least it'll get closer. What matters is RMS level and normalizing the peaks doesn't do anything to match those levels.

I generally don't agree with the hoopla around comparing levels. Were not ABX'ing stuff here, just getting a feel for how things sound and the tone it imparts.

I can instantly tell the difference between a dbx and a Neve, even if it's not level matched. But if you guys want to do a -1db normalization, easy enough. I'll revise my samples and re-upload.

Got some stereo stuff to upload as well.

Mark

But surely we're listening to how the compressor is affecting the rms whilst the peaks remain the same...?
Am I missing something?

Also, uploaded a mono drum room control.

Well Mark does have a point. Example might be compression "overshoot" lets say for a whole file its about -10db then for a microsecond the audio file overshoots to 0db then the whole file would be quieter.

But I think attempting to normalize will at least make everything sound a bit more uniform and comparisons easier. I'm surprised for example the PRR how much louder it sounds even though its peaking at the same level as everything else.

Biasrocks said:
Uploading some sound samples

33609 w/original, correct Marinar iron
EMI TG Limiter
LA2A w/UTC's A10, A24, Drip T4B

It doesn't matter what level you put them out at, Soundcloud normalizes them when you upload.

Enjoy.

LA2A slays all on vocals and guitar, on it's way to a gold record.. :) I keep expecting more from the TG..

Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/user/sintech67?feature=mhw4#p/u/10/RTpAbeEmm64
and this: http://www.youtube.com/user/sintech67?feature=mhw4#p/u/8/F4y9-dQBagQ
and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyTiYCGfUKU

All these more or less sound like a TG. Kickin A$$.. :) ..Or, Dark Side Of The Moon or somethin...Here Comes The Sun...
lol. Ya know...that big bouncy phat kinda sound.

Didn't expect anything from the TG.. The real thing was never my cup of tea.. I always wanted it to give me that pumped beach boys/beatles piano sound and it never did..

But yeah, this has firmly planted the la2a with utc iron and the prr176 on my "to do" list..

BTW - do I win any prize for finding the single least suitable compressor for this vocal?  :p

I've never heard anything pump quite the same as the TG and find it stellar on acoustic gtr, never fails to nail something in the mix and make it stand out. The TG can get way more aggressive. I set those examples up with fairly conservative settings, like I said not the settings that I would choose for every source. Perhaps another example with more aggressive settings is in order.

Mark

I'm just wonderin if yours is workin right Mark...   ;D  ;)

I'm also paranoid about the whole calibration thing, but that's a different thread.

Dubka said:
I always wanted it to give me that pumped beach boys/beatles piano sound and it never did..

I think that's that RS thingy..

Is the RS the zener diode limiter?

I meant to ask - is the la2a drip or p2p?

Would love to hear Peters 525 if anyone has the means...

Greg's got one for sale. Whether it's an RS or not is anyone's guess..

As far as i know, no one knows exactly how to de-facto modify the Altec the 'proper' way...except for John Hinson.

The TG is working right  8), actually it's one of the more versatile limiters in the arsenal here.  Listen to the new samples with stereo material that I just posted.

The LA2A P2P, built from David J's book and assorted info from here.

I have a vintage API 525 that I'll run some tracks through, could be helpful to compare to the DIY version.

Mark

That stereo crush is def gettin there.  8) ...alot more like it, 'specially on the whole mix.

If you get a chance Mark, i'd love to hear the 525 on a vocal sample.

Just added, GSSL w/vintage 202c's along w/some personal tweaks. Get em while they're hot.

525 coming up and a little Spectrasonics 610 thrown in.

Mark

Latest posts

Back