DIY builds in practice - Show us yr rack!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
522112_10150944319788533_626200353_n.jpg

Some DIY, some commercial.

Left, bottom to top: Neumann W495stb (modified for 1dB steps), BPEQ, NYD-EQ (modified for +/-3dB), NTP 182-100 EQ's (will modify for smaller gain steps), Weston 862 VU meters

Right, bottom to top: Passive transfer console, Knif Pure Mu compressor, NTP 179-120 compressors, HEDD192, Weiss DAC2.

That empty slot will soon hold a pair of -/+6dB line amps, and the vent panel on the right will hold the GR meters for the NTP comps.

No. It's just be sitting here in Cucamonga.
I just have the 3-51x racks sitting on top of each other on top of the studio rack.
I'm looking at slant back to put 4 racks in, so it portable. Room to room, studio to studio.
That would be 11 channels of pre, eq, comp, of different flavors combinations, Fader module out (CAPI 528).

p1010246jt.jpg

One year in the DIY world and couldn't be happier.

In the pic, Up to down, a DIY La-4, SSL9k mic pre (my first build), a GSSL, just done and waiting for lettering, my crappy converters, A Poor man's Pultec with tube make up gain stage (wich I really like for final mixes before the GSSL), and finally down there a sh*tty speaker amp for the little speakers, and the Mackie 24/8 PSU.

Also, the Rack is DIY'ed, as the Studio desk, the floor and the walls ;D, was a busy year.

Since using this gear I feel the High end of the spectrum is way more listeneable, both tracking (mainly voices) and mixing, it's much more confortable to work now...

Next DIY projects: Studer 169, some acoustic treatment, a basic monitor controller, a 1176 and a 2-slot 51x rack. But now I'm on holydays  ;D

EDIT: the pic didn't work

?

Can't see a picture....

Here's a bit of my stuff, not all though.
Overview :
overview.jpg

from left to right :
-19" outboard
-SSL mixing console left part (stereo channels, subgroups, mainbus)
-Daw controller
-SSL console right part (monitorcontrol, dynamics, monochannels, auxmasters and auxreturns)
-FX and patchbay, audiointerface, Midi interface, dat deck.

the outboard, upper rack :
P1030616.jpg

From top to bottom :
-Aphex Exciter (original)
-Behringer analyzer (original)
-Dual LA4
-Neve channelstrip (racked, rewired, diy PSU)
-LA2 (silent arts)
P1030617.jpg

The lower rack :
-dual G1176
-dual Frank enhanced pultec with P2P gyraf SRPP tube amps.
-Urei 530
-BBE 802

The console consists of many modules that I bought from different suppliers (from Swiss, UK, Germany, Uruguay, USA, Canada, Sweden, and Denmark). It took about 5 years to collect them, it also took about 5 years to figure out how to wire the stuff and get it up and running. There are still a few parts that need work, but about 98% is working, and the console can be used for mixdown.
Basically, it has
-4 simple stereo channels (aux, fader, panning, routing)
-4 normal stereo channels (as above + SL522 EQ, filters, insert, inputgain, phase, Direct outputs)
-4 stereo subgroups (aux, fader, insert, EQ)
-masterbuss.
-4 monochannels (SL501 micpre, aux, fader, panning, SL542 EQ, filters, insert, inputgain, phase, Direct outputs)
-4 monochannels (SL 505 dual linepre, aux, fader, panning, EQ, filters, insert, inputgain, phase, Direct outputs)
-6 mono aux, 2 stereo aux, 4 stereo FX returns.

There are also a few custom cassettes :
-2x Nite eq's,
-2x S800 eq's,
-1 stereo and 1 mono Neumann W492  (both need a frontpanel),
-1 dual SSL 9K micpre,
-1 dual Amek BC3 micpre (not yet completed)
-1 M/S inserter cassette with added controls (18dB/octave lowcuts, faderpots),
-GSSL modified masterchannel (added a stereo sidechain with SSC boards to the original SSL audiopath), and
-a not yet completed LA4 compressor cassette.
-modified Listen Mic Compressor.

The routinglogicstuff isn't added, I have found a way to do this differently, to avoid the necessity of buying a G computer. I still have to add battery backup as well. No need for TR, it's just my homerecording set.

The DAW controller part is a seperate section on wheels, and is height adjustable.
basically, the controller is a couple of modified behringer controllers, with some controls for the routing, transport for my revox recorder (which I probably won't use anyway), a logitech keyboard, and a kensington mouse. Also a few LCD meters that show the programme output in VU and PPM, and there's also a seperate dual PPM analog meter.

P1030620.jpg

P1030618.jpg

P1030629.jpg

P1030628.jpg

P1030630.jpg

Rochey said:
Where are the monitor speakers??

On the rear. Actually, the console is set backwards, that's why the controller is on wheels. I can move it and locate it in the right position for mixing. I had to make a lot of compromises to get all the stuff fitting inside the room.
btw, I don't have nearfields, only mainmonitors and headphones. (I've recently started doing music again, and I mostly use headphones, otherwise I'll probably wake my 14 month old daughter). I'll add nearfields later on, not sure what to choose though. Keep in mind, this is my homestudio, for personal use.  I'm not planning to do commercial stuff here.

mulletchuck said:
it looks like a go'damn space ship Navigation bridge!!!    GO'DAMN!!!!

Hahaha !
Dalekian Studio Enterprises.....

kante1603 said:
Holy sh.....!Congrats my friend!
Btw,hows the SL543 going ;D

Hi Udo ! Thank you. Your SL543 is located next to the FX rack, Aux master 1 and 2. : )
Sitting between his 2 friends, Aux master 3+4, and LMC.

kevinkace said:
That's definitely over the top! Custom desk?

Thanks. Custom, well.... yes, i suppose so. It's actually my collection of SSL modules. I started with 3 modules : 1x 522 eq, 1x 524 subgroup amp, and a 521 stereo line input module. I was planning to make a 4he 19"rack with a few modules, but ended up with this. Insane and idiotic, I recommend to NOT do this yourself. In case I could travel back in time, I'd build something much simpler. Probably something 500 compatible with a custom aux/fader/routing/bussing part. Not this. Waaaaaay too complex, lots of logic stuff in here that you have to figure out.

sr1200 said:
can I be the first to say thats re F'n Diculous!!!! (in a good way)
Thank you.

dirtyhanfri said:

The GSSL and 9k look great with the handwritten legend ! Maybe I'll do the same with the PRR varimu that I have finished (only waiting for a fp).

Here's my lounge room rack - works with a notebook Cubase and some big speakers with tube amps at the front of the room  ;D

The silver stuff is my diy  (excepting the mesa vtwin rack): channel strips comprising Countryman DI+Neve/API pre+g1176+gPultecs, LA2A+Fender pre as well as a dual gSSL, dLa2a and a Neotek Series 3+JLM DI+optocomp.

And a diy stereo SE 6L6 tube amp into some diy Vifa speaker boxes. 

Commercial stuff is a Yamaha 03D, Finalizer, Vitalizer, Mesa VTwin with Digitech FX and an ACMP 81 pre/eq

For noodling around while watching TV  ;D

Attachments

• lounge_rack_1.jpg
    lounge_rack_1.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 203

Latest posts

Back