DIY builds in practice - Show us yr rack!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep All Soldered By Hand exect the PC and The Big Ben  5 year of work  :-*

Cheers,
dan,
'

Attachments

• studio1.jpg
    studio1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 341
I ain't got room for stacks and stacks of stuff, so I went with 2 51X racks.  I built the wooden "rack" they sit in myself, along with all the modules  :p.  It's small and compact, but it's effective!

Chuck,

golf clap dude. That's a lovely setup, and a really nice way of working. I think you've nailed the next gen way of working.
For a lot of folks, the traditional mixer has passed its sell by date, but I think we can agree, the ability to patch in analog processing still has value - but only if it's easy to control and easy to  access.

This kind of setup, where your analog processing is constantly within arms reach, rather than in a rack on the other side of the room is appeals to that ideal.

Have you patched most of these as inserts, or dedicated in's, that are "connected" within the DAW for easy "patching"?

/R

thanks, guys.  Nah, they are not dedicated but easily patched in.  There is a plugin in logic called "I/O Utility":

The I/O utility enables the use of external audio effects units, similar to the use of internal
Logic Studio effects.
Note: In practical terms, this makes sense only if you are using an audio interface that
provides discrete inputs and outputs (analog or digital) that are used to send signals to
and from the external audio effects unit.

-Output Volume field and slider: Adjusts the level of the output signal.
-Output pop-up menu: Assigns the respective output (or output pair) of your audio
hardware.
-Input pop-up menu: Assigns the respective input (or input pair) of your audio hardware.
Note: The Input pop-up menu is only visible when an audio interface with multiple
inputs is active.
-Input Volume field and slider: Adjusts the level of the input signal.
-Latency Detection (Ping) button: Detects the delay between the selected output and
input, and compensates the delay accordingly.
note: Bypassing any latency-inducing plug-ins on the track will provide you with the
most accurate reading.
-Latency Offset field and slider: Displays the value for the detected latency between the
selected output and input. Also allows you to offset the latency manually.
To integrate and use an external effects unit with the I/O utility:
1 Connect an output (or output pair) of your audio interface with the input (pair) on your
effects unit. Connect the output (or output pair) of your effects unit with an input (pair)
on your audio interface.
Note: These can be either analog or digital connections if your audio interface and effects
unit are equipped with either, or both.
2 Click an Insert slot of an aux channel strip (being used as a bus send/return), and choose
Utility > I/O.
3 In the I/O window, choose both the Outputs and Inputs of your audio hardware (that
your effects unit is connected to).
4 Route the signals of any channel strips that you want to process to the bus (aux channel
strip) chosen in step 3, and set appropriate Send levels.
5 Adjust the Input or Output volume as required in the I/O window.
6 Click the Latency Detection (Ping) button if you want to detect, and compensate for, any
delay between the selected output and input.
When you start playback, the signals of any channel strips routed to the aux channel
(chosen in step 3) will be processed by the external effects unit.

Page 263: http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicstudio/effects/Logic%20Studio%20Effects%20(en).pdf

Here, they're describing using it as a send, but I use them as inserts.    The only weird thing is that you gotta "ping" every time you open the session to refresh the I/O round trip time accordingly.

Latest posts

Back