DIY DUAL GERMANIUM MIC PRE-EQ BASED ON NEVE EARLY DESIGNS

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so basically this is what i think:

We have the Gardners ( the key part on the project ).
We need the LO1166´s ( someone in contact with Carnhill ? ).
I´ve requested Digitron for prices on the new germanium transistors. I´ll let you know.
As germanium transistors have very little consistency within items of the same model, I could test the ones in my modules to check out Neve specs on them.
We should decide : MIc pre only, mic pre- baxandall eq, or mic-pre full eq.
I´d definitely go for the Dual Mic Pre with Hi and Lo shelving EQ. Cheap and a really useful addition. 2 common pots and a few components more than a B105 or B101 card.

In this case we should choose either B105 or B101 ( silicon or germanium ).

Please give me your impressions.
Ah, regarding Gardners price, please someone get a sell price from somebody and I´ll do 20% less.
Thanks

[quote author="Wonderlandaudio"]I´d definitely go for the Dual Mic Pre with Hi and Lo shelving EQ. Cheap and a really useful addition. 2 common pots and a few components more than a B105 or B101 card.[/quote]
As I recall the B10X amp cards are only good for about 30dBu voltage gain each. Think of it as analogous to a BA283NV (pre stage only!) if you wish. Put two of them in series with the second one having a TO-3 common collector hanging off the output and you've got your full BA283AV equivalent. Some people would argue that's still not enough for a full-blown mic pre, nevermind EQ.

I'm just thinking out loud right now. I'll try to dig up the docs next week.

What features would the full eq have? If it is not way more work I'd be interested in that, at least as an option.

And yes, lets keep it all germanium if possible.

hejsan

This modules are basically mustard mullards caps all around, as well as some electrolitics.
The extra work for a basic Hi and Lo shelving eq is: 1 B101 card ( germanium ), 2 common pots and knobs plus 2 or 3 caps and 2 or 3 resistors. I mean fixed frec. at, say 10Khz and 100 Hz.

Thes didnt have tantalums as bypass caps, but electr.

And...
Some prices I´ve just received from Digitron:
Thank you for your inquiry. As per your requirement, we would like to quote as follows:

AC107 200 pieces DIGITRON $2.75 USD per piece STOCK
AC127 200 pieces DIGITRON $2.75 USD per piece STOCK
AC128 200 pieces DIGITRON $2.95 USD per piece STOCK
NKT216 200 pieces DIGITRON $2.21 USD per piece STOCK
OC22 200 pieces DIGITRON $1.75 USD per piece STOCK
OC44 200 pieces DIGITRON $1.75 USD per piece STOCK
AL103 200 pieces DIGITRON $5.50 USD per piece STOCK

We accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Alex V. Schwartz
Digitron Electronics
(908) 245-7200 phone
(908) 245-0555 fax
www.digitroncorp.com

I´ve based on sowter price for a " Neve input, transformer", which is aprox. 35 GBP = 66 USD = 52 Euros

Shipping: 9.09 E for Europe non EU, 10.54 E for EU and 18E ( 23 USD ) for the rest of the world, for a pair.

trying to figure out exactly whats happening with this... is it slated to be a scratch-build project with a pcb layout?

because that would be sweet.

Can Digitron provide those transistor to a particular spec or is it going to be a case of buy a bunch and pick through them for the best?

If testing is necessary can someone provide this as a service? I personally have no idea how to do this, and ideally I wouldn't want to have to buy a bunch that are destined only for the trash can anyway.

Of course we could all just build a bunch of guitar stompboxes with the rest, I guess :razz:

JC

It'd be interesting to have an idea about how a micpre with a Gardners-TX & Ge-devices would compare with the 'usual' BA283-style N*ve.

More specific: what makes the most difference, the TX or the Ge-devices ?
As I more or less concluded from reading a bit around here the Ge-thing may not be the most influencing factor.
So remaining is the Gardners-TX and/or the interaction of the Gardners-TX & the Ge (entering fuzzy territory here :wink: ).

Anybody tried a Gardners-TX in front of a BA283-style circuit and compared it with the 'usual' types?

Regards,

Peter

Yes I did. The Gardners are like... you know, different league. The other day I was searching on the sowter archive and found a copy of a Gardners 7529. It said: similar to 7529 but reduced specs... Thats hard to say from sowter!!!
I think the Gardners makes a lot, but the mic pre, the B100 card basically, and how the sensitivity switch is arranged make all the difference. Please notice that in 1055´s it´s wired differently than in 1058´s

As I talked to Geoff Tarner, some of the early decissions taken by Neve were economical or for comodities. The GArdners are huge and they have to mount them outside the modules, in the console´s chassis, a la 1058. If not, the output stage should be mounted outside a la 1055. Also Gardners didnt make all their producton to Neve so supplies were intermitent.

Similar thing happened when they introduced the 1073, with one more selectable frecuency in the midrange. The inductor used in 1066 and the like didnt have a spare terminal, so by design criteria another inductor should be designed and mounted. What they did was the known. Have the old 1066 inductor plus another one ( overstocked, used in hipass filters ) for the extra frecuency... bussiness

Ehhh, well, a single marinair clone by sowter is 52 Euro, so...

I´d like to ask sowter for prices on his copy of the Gardners with reduced spec...

Latest posts

Back