DIY re-amp components ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
right, I should have clarified, an instrument level amplifier.

I didnt much understand the need for a reamp box until I heard a record a friend did and went out of my way to ask him how he got the phaser sounds on the record, he mentioned using the (TM) box and that was the first I heard of it and this was a billion years ago. I eventually found my own non (TM) solution to the problem and was blown away. If you havent tried one of these, I'd suggest thhat it would be worth the time if you use a lot of effects that were designed with an instrument level in mind in your mixes. It makes a big difference for me, it might make a difference for you, might not...

dave

Well, I don't have your Phaser(TM) and I don't use a lot of stompboxes anymore, so I doubt it'll revolutionize my world, but sure I'll build myself one of them fancy Reamps _sans_ that stupid filter and try it out.

what would be really cool would be more info on the palmer box, especially the filter in that thing. talk about some shit that people fiend over...

dave

sismofyt

You are being a little hard on transformers today.
They work well and sound good.
If you do like your transformer sound you are using a too cheap transformer.

In this r e am p thing the transformer solves a lot of problems.

[quote author="soundguy"]
Im not talking about plugging two random stompboxes in series. this is tiring. I specifically mentioned running an 847 specifically into a fuzzface, go try it and then come back to this debate. It doesnt work. Running an 847 into just about every other distortion generating fuzzbox that I have tried works just fine. Some things are more pickky about input impedances than others, that is my point.

[/quote]

Maybe the V847 has an fet buffer like the newer Dunlop Cry Baby. The other day I was looking at Dunlop's Jimi Hendrix model wah, and it has that third transistor, which is funny 'cause on the front label it reads "original Thomas circuit", or something to that effect.

Just to add to the discussion... our patent office is run by lazy moronic idiots.

How about that one-click shopping patent by Amazon? just one example of the stupidity....

I meant to mention G*r*o*o*v*e Tubes in my earlier post. They've also patented at least one thing that existed long before in prior art: the reactive speaker load. It's right there, for all to see, in the fourth ed. of the Radiotron Designer's Handbook from 1953. Even earlier published examples may exist for all I know.

I put a fet on the output of the 847 to get it to work with a fuzzface, that works really well. This wasnt at all standard in the mid 60's though... ITs just a crybaby circuit.

dave

>an awful lot of Reamps (tm) you have to sell before you've broken even and are back to square one

That's true... but patents are nothing more than "litigation" ammo. Some people are just "sue happy".

I've heard of companies that discover great things but don't patent it because that means disclosing the full details of how it works. i.e. opening doors for competitors.

But the one thing I dislike most are people patenting circuits that are "textbook" cases. Well, I think if you build something and the person sues you for violating his patents, you can win in court by proving there is prior art and it is a public domain/knowledge circuit, or a simple electronic theory not even worth patenting in the first case.

I wonder if the current limiting resistor in an LED circuit is patented????

coming back to some reamping device plz..
i just got 8 trafo edcor 10k/600, instead of the 10K/150 (NY Dave?)

Can i get around this or are these trannies worth to be used in another appl?

I urgent need a few reampers btw :?:

The EDCOR transformers have a center-tap. You can wire the 10K:600 for 10K:150 operation by coming off of one end and the center-tap of the secondary. I don't know if you'd want to leave the other end floating or tie it to ground, though.

Or maybe 10K:600 is good enough for this application. I can't answer that one.

thanks Consul,
i was already thinking that road but with not enough technical background on trannies, i'm happy to get feedback from you and others :)

My first conclussion was that i could split in 2 times 300, but is this wrong then?

The impedance ratio of a tranformer is equal to the square of its turns ratio. So, halving the turns on one side reduces that side's impedance by one-quarter. One-quarter of 600 is 150. :thumb:

And if I'm wrong about all this, let's hope someone catches it before you get too far. :green:

When I was in grad school, a colleague stated that the easiest way to do the necessary publishing for the career path was to be the first to publish the unstated obvious, rather than doing more onerous work. The great difficulty there is making sure no one has already stated it, which is like the current problem of new patents being granted on something that is already patented. (I'll be nice and assume that in most cases people aren't trying to game the system.)

Hmm, would one of the most prominent collectors of tube lore reasonably be expected to be familiar with the Radiotron Designers Handbook? Either answer he gives is a bit damning, isn't it?

Bear

I built one of these last week with an 0-10, its useful for guitars, but I think if you are planning on using it to interface guitar effects and stuff like that, some ground could be gained by selecting a different transformer, I think I'd go with a jensen or something like that which is a little more sparkly.

One mans treasure...

dave

Just to throw a little gasoline on this fire... :grin: :grin: :grin:

read my articles called "Patents on Parade" at:

http://www.muzique.com/lab/main.htm

regards, Jack :cool:

Thanks Jack,

I've only had a quick read but simple and to the point .. I like it. :cool:
Is this your work Jack ... and the other articles ? Should I know you ?

[quote author="Kev"]I've only had a quick read but simple and to the point .. I like it. :cool:
Is this your work Jack ... and the other articles ? Should I know you ?[/quote]
Yes, all of the articles are my work... no reason you should know me though :grin:

regards, Jack

Back