DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mostly point 2 point solid wire.
Why solid? I used to use solid, until it was pointed out to me that the guitar's vibration from the strings might cause microflexion over time, causing the wire to break at its fixed points. Stranded wire, consisting of multiple smaller gauge more flexible strands, would hold up better.

That I will have to see. But if that should happen, I can always put flexible wire in there.

Lefty Tele done. Decided to take the righty strat neck and flip it upside down. They're more plentiful, cheap and more tuners available at better prices. So why not, heh?

Attachments

• 20220324_221722.jpg
    20220324_221722.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 51
Nice job! I assume you have a left handed nut in there.

I had a couple of extra strat neck blanks I cut out years ago, and I like the tele body style, so with a fascination for rhombille tiles I made these instruments last year.

And then another one from years ago that I even put a strat tremolo bridge on. Edit: I forgot to add that the humbuckers are split coil, and the switch is 5-way.

Attachments

• rhombille-3a.jpg
    rhombille-3a.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 50
  • rhombille-3b.jpg
    rhombille-3b.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 48
  • telestrat-done-combo.jpg
    telestrat-done-combo.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
The style is like an acid trip looking at the front of those instruments.
Yes very impressive workmanship.

Nice job! I assume you have a left handed nut in there.

I had a couple of extra strat neck blanks I cut out years ago, and I like the tele body style, so with a fascination for rhombille tiles I made these instruments last year.

And then another one from years ago that I even put a strat tremolo bridge on.
Wow! A 'like' is not enough!

I've been planning something with this 3d cube effect for a while. I was thinking I'd start with a chopping board - cliché, but a good basis to get the technique down for the 3d part.

But you've used this technique to wonderful effect and the result is mind bending! Really beautiful work 👍

That humbucker in the bridge inspired me to build another one. Or maybe I was looking for an excuse. Too late, parts are ordered. I also took delivery of a strat today that I played around with for a few minutes then broke it down and threw away the pups and electronics etc and just got done putting her back together...now she's nice!

I've been planning something with this 3d cube effect for a while. I was thinking I'd start with a chopping board - cliché, but a good basis to get the technique down for the 3d part.

A friend makes cutting boards and made one with this pattern (rhombille tiles or tumbling blocks) which is what gave me the idea for these. It's also used in quilting. Google it and you can find many woodworking sites that give ideas and instructions for making the tiles and the boards.

Crazydoc....that design sorta reminded me of a M.C. Escher picture:

https://i.etsystatic.com/10694516/r/il/7e66ea/1074327499/il_1588xN.1074327499_pik9.jpg
Bri
Yeah, he's used these in several of his pics. What a mind, what an imagination. I've loved his work since I was a kid.

If it's me you're asking, my finish coats are always sprayed clear nitrocellulose lacquer. When I put color underneath I've used shellac, rattlecan paint, artist watercolors, and vaious dyes and pigments.

If it's me you're asking, my finish coats are always sprayed clear nitrocellulose lacquer. When I put color underneath I've used shellac, rattlecan paint, artist watercolors, and vaious dyes and pigments.
Thanks. Very interesting. I'm just getting my first experience with clear wood finish for my housings. After using clear varnish, I'm testing hard wax oils right now, which are very easy to apply, even with my very limited options (no paint spray gun). Looks great too!

The work of MC Esher sprung to mind here also , surely the greatest of the Cubists .

The 24h birthday present challenge...

So I had 24 hours to come up with a present for a friends birthday, he likes to play with synths.
The challenge was, can't order any parts, no time for that, so it had to be done from bits and pieces I got sitting around.

I decided to build a mono synth pre amp based on a 12V tube saturation amp I build for myself, it's 2 triode stages from a 12au7 running on 12V ... it adds about 20dB of gain and the more gain you apply the more harmonics it generates .
It has a Lundahl 1527 as output transformer for balanced output, input is unbalanced 100K.
When turned off (relay bypass) it will act as a balancing box with only the transformer in the signal path.

20220330_212929.jpg
The pushbutton provides a non latching bypass to compare to the treated signal for dialing in the unit, on power off it's just a balancing box.
20220330_213830.jpg
The box was given to me from someone cleaning his attic, tube was pulled from an old TV set, transformer was also given to me from a broadcast teardown job... I once ordered a set of these knobs from China and I received a box full of them, like 10x the amount I had ordered...

I think it's pretty cool ... it sounds nice.

20220331_122610.jpg

I started this last year and got it 98% done, then lost interest. It needs about and hours works to get it done. I'm currently building a Tele and a Strat. After these, I'm done with making guitars.

Crazydoc....that design sorta reminded me of a M.C. Escher picture:

https://i.etsystatic.com/10694516/r/il/7e66ea/1074327499/il_1588xN.1074327499_pik9.jpg
Bri
1648744830135.png
JR

PS: I have a hand made chess board that my older brothers made back in the 50s in our basement wood shop. The dark squares were made from walnut and the light squares maple(?). Besides alternating the colors the squares are placed with alternating grain orientation for more contrast. There is one square near the middle of board with the grain oriented wrong... That kind of human imperfection makes it even more perfect.

Latest posts

Back