DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jimmy Haslip is one of the world's greatest bass guitarists (IMHO of course :) ) .. .
He started out playing a right handed bass left handed -- and upside down -- and just stuck with it.
Makes for some very interesting and unusual phrasing of course...

I bet it's easier to mute the strings when playing upside down. Anyway I like a proper left handed instrument in my hands. I cut the compromise whenever and wherever I get a chance to. I'm also going to start winding my own pickups. DIYing a winder is beyond easy, almost as easy as actually winding the thing. No use paying big bucks for a name brand and a little scatter winding on a bobbin. Plus I have a lot of left over transformer shellac from my transformer winding days. I dip all my pickups before I install them.

Ive heard of beezwax potted pickups but never shellac .
Potting and dipping in shellac are two very different things. In transformers we shellac the coils to (1) protect and enhance the enamel (2) to minimize coil vibration. Have you ever heard a tube amp output transformer coils vibrating to the magnetic field? Since insulated wire is use in pickups I tend to look at it the same way and so far the results are great. And the shellac I'm talking about is not the readily available product at the hardware store, but the real deal.

Nice work, analag. I hope your next Tele will be in the classic style with string through body and three brass bridge pieces for maximum zing and sustain. While I love my Rickenbackers, if I had to choose one guitar it would be the classic Telecaster. Simple and versatile. Hard to beat. Carry on!

Nice work, analag. I hope your next Tele will be in the classic style with string through body and three brass bridge pieces for maximum zing and sustain.
The one pictured is string through body, but I chose individual saddles for spot on intonation. The next one is a P90 in the bridge with ash body. The strat will be alder string through body no trem.

The one pictured is string through body, but I chose individual saddles for spot on intonation. The next one is a P90 in the bridge with ash body. The strat will be alder string through body no trem.
You can buy compensated brass saddles for the 3-piece bridge. More down force per screw contact than the 6-piece.

Did you use router templates at all or just a marked layout and careful routing using your overhead sled? I milled some madrone and California laurel into slabs a couple of years ago. They're dry now andvI was hoping to try making a tele body and maybe a bass as well.

Did you use router templates at all or just a marked layout and careful routing using your overhead sled? I milled some madrone and California laurel into slabs a couple of years ago. They're dry now andvI was hoping to try making a tele body and maybe a bass as well.
I used a 4 string template and made it work for a 5 string

Almost done. Just need to install the tuning machines and string her up. I'm also mocking up a tele which will be done in a week or two depending on parts arrival.

Attachments

• 20220416_030414.jpg
    20220416_030414.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 41
O wow, looking sweet !

Love how the scratchplate combines with the woodgrain / color, usually I hate these pieces of plastic on a guitar, but this one is looking really good.

Did it come like this or did you treat it to give it that faded look ?

It works really well ! (y)

O wow, looking sweet !

Love how the scratchplate combines with the woodgrain / color, usually I hate these pieces of plastic on a guitar, but this one is looking really good.

Did it come like this or did you treat it to give it that faded look ?

It works really well ! (y)
It's a bronze colored aluminum right handed scratch plate that I simply turned the other way for the more rustic look

Attachments

• 20220415_140920.jpg
    20220415_140920.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 29
And so the Tele is done. I think this concludes my journey into guitar building.

Attachments

• 20220419_223314.jpg
    20220419_223314.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 16
That’s cool puncho. Very nice job on that build.

I have a soprano acoustic guitar. I got it because it allows me to create a mandolin part in a track. It might be cheating like a 6 string banjo but it’s very easy to play and has great tone and temperament.

Back