Do I need to replace POTS or CAPS for my Trident 65?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortyboyboy

Hi Gang,

I have some problems with my Trident 65 I was hoping you could help me with.
I believe the problems can be fixed by either replacing cap to replacing knobs.
I have tried Deoxit Fader F5 on the pots without luck of getting them up to spec.
I made a quick video you can see here so you can better understand what is going on.

https://youtu.be/j0uaumq6eyA

The problems I am noticing are as follows:

- Some Channel Line signals are weaker than the majority.  Does this mean I need to replace the channel line knob or caps?

- Channel 26 has a dead eq for the lo mid sweep and lo mid gain. Does this mean I need to replace the channel line knob or caps?

- Channel 21 is low unless I patch in a different source point from You Tube.  Is that a console problem.  Maybe that's a wire issue from a patch bay?

- Channel 18 low until tapping pot or letting console heat up for 5 mins.  Does this mean I need to replace the channel line knob or caps?

In the past I have built 2 Capi Pre's, 2 Cap EQ's, 1 Lola Pre, and a U47 Mic Parts Tube Mic with a power supply, so I feel confident on being able to solder and fix this problem on my own. However, I was never formally educated on how to read schematics and troubleshoot problems.

Maybe you guys have a better understanding on what going on and can help me find the way to fixing this beast?
I have a multimeter and a LCR Pro 1 meter that I can think read values without having the channel be in circuit.

I greatly appreciate you for taking the time to watch this video and read through my description. Any insight you may have would be extremely helpful!  Even if you have a tutorial video you would like to share that can educate me on learning how fix gear that would rule.

Much Love, and thanks again!  

That could be lots of things but probably the most likely would be bad corroded contacts of not just connectors either on the console, the card slot, the patchbay but also switches and relays are suspect. A proper tech (not me) would probably just pull cards and test in isolation using a spare card slot connector as a rig. If you really want to maintain that thing log term, you should probably be headed in that direction. But a relatively low-skill sanity check would be to remove a channel from a slot that is know to be solid and then remove a channel that has issues and put it into the good slot. Carefully note the differences in behavior.

With an old console like that, there are bound to be multiple issues that transcend the entire signal chain. You need to just systematically isolate and fix each. This is why a lot of people simply don't use consoles anymore. At least not old ones.

OP has cross posted on Gearslutz. The recommendation there  was 'find a Trident tech'. I would agree with that.
The trouble is, that all this gear is so cheap that wannabees are buying it, and then not knowing what to do with it.
Hehe!

The first thing to determine is if the fault is in the module or the connections to it.

You can find this out by swapping a suspected faulty module with a known good one. If the fault follows the module then the module is at fault. If the fault stays in the slot then something in that slot is wrong.

Cheers

Ian

If you do need pots, let me know via PM.  I have a box full of new replacements from Audio Maintenance - mostly EQ level pots and pan pots.  I had a client who wanted all new pots, but then moved out of state!

how did you learn about electronics? 

radardoug said:
OP has cross posted on Gearslutz. The recommendation there  was 'find a Trident tech'. I would agree with that.
The trouble is, that all this gear is so cheap that wannabees are buying it, and then not knowing what to do with it.
Hehe!

shortyboyboy said:
how did you learn about electronics?
Probably the same way most of us did... by melting solder....

The internet magic 8 ball answer machine is a relatively recent development....

Spamming multiple forums will not get you better information... may get you "more" answers that you then have to sift through.

I feel like I have already answered your question (over there) so I will stop now here.

JR

Dear John Roberts,

Maybe, you asked for help one day and didn't receive it.  I'm sorry if this is the case for you. 

If there is anything I can help you with one day I will do my darnedest too. 

Have a good day!

JohnRoberts said:
Probably the same way most of us did... by melting solder....

The internet magic 8 ball answer machine is a relatively recent development....

Spamming multiple forums will not get you better information... may get you "more" answers that you then have to sift through.

I feel like I have already answered your question (over there) so I will stop now here.

JR

Thanks!  I just sent you a message

mjrippe said:
If you do need pots, let me know via PM.  I have a box full of new replacements from Audio Maintenance - mostly EQ level pots and pan pots.  I had a client who wanted all new pots, but then moved out of state!

Back