Do you earn from doing DIY?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anthon said:
I was wondering if any people around here sell their DIY regularly, and what your experiences are.

I'm lucky enough to have a big place that I'm allowed to use as a workshop in a remote location. I collected plenty of tools over the years I've been doing DIY.

I started selling guitar cabinets a year ago online, and on average I manage to sell couple of them each month for a fair price. Currently I only do 50s tweed fender style cabs. I also sell DIY amplifier component kits with my cabs.
Tried selling finished point-to-point amps, sold a number of these, but it's just too much work.
And most people interested are cheap-asses, anв refuse to give a fair price.
People who buy cabs are more generous (DIY folks) - because probably they realize how much works goes into making things with your hands.

I think selling your work is great because:
- at this point I returned everything I invested in DIY over the years.
- the quality of my DIY projects has increased dramatically.
- I can practice doing DIY and earn in the process, buy better tools.
- helping others building their projects feels good.  :)

So that's why I would like to expand in DIY.

On my to-do-list (will keep me busy for the next 2-4 years probably):
- make other types of cabs, flight-cases, modular synth cabs etc to attract more clients.
- building a big CNC to make woodwork less time consuming. Probably another small one for aluminum and another for laser engraving and cutting.
- learn how to make metal chassis, engraved panels, silk screens etc
- developing DIY kits (guitar amps, synthesizers modules, pedals, pro studio gear).
- eventually even winding my own power/output transformers.
- opening a DIY web shop (based in Europe).

go Anthon! work it, dude ;-)

I sell just about everything i make, unless i luv it.  But I want to be an artist 1st and foremost.  I luv electronics with all my heart, but the thought of trying to do it any other way than organically and small scale is not interesting to me anymore as it perhaps once was in the very beginning. 

Right now I am trying to rig up a robot to move and simulate playing a piano, with some fun 555 led stuff and simple movements at the waist and arms (I'm hacking an old 90's large toy robot).  This is what I love.  However, I am so grateful for the people that make chassis and cabs, bless you.  I love musical instrument tube amps so much.

Andy

andyfromdenver said:
go Anthon! work it, dude ;-)

I sell just about everything i make, unless i luv it.  But I want to be an artist 1st and foremost.  I luv electronics with all my heart, but the thought of trying to do it any other way than organically and small scale is not interesting to me anymore as it perhaps once was in the very beginning. 

Right now I am trying to rig up a robot to move and simulate playing a piano, with some fun 555 led stuff and simple movements at the waist and arms (I'm hacking an old 90's large toy robot).  This is what I love.  However, I am so grateful for the people that make chassis and cabs, bless you.  I love musical instrument tube amps so much.

Andy

Thank you. I also love building things with my own hands.
It's hard to part with a project, but I figured selling my work was only way to bring my hobby to the next level. You can always repeat a project you sell, and make it even better.
I've been doing audio DIY for 6 years, but never actually made something that I considered completely finished.
In the past year I've been selling my work, I've made more finished projects then in 5 years before. I still think I'm way over my head in all of it, but pushing yourself from the comfort zone is the only way to grow.

My initial goal when I started doing DIY was to build a huge Moog-style modular synthesizer from scratch, but I'm interested in everything from tube guitar amps to studio gear.
I will probably develop my own synth modules, based on vintage schematics - so why not sell some DIY kits/synth cabs to fund it.

Anthon said:
Thank you. I also love building things with my own hands.
It's hard to part with a project, but I figured selling my work was only way to bring my hobby to the next level. You can always repeat a project you sell, and make it even better.
I've been doing audio DIY for 6 years, but never actually made something that I considered completely finished.
In the past year I've been selling my work, I've made more finished projects then in 5 years before. I still think I'm way over my head in all of it, but pushing yourself from the comfort zone is the only way to grow.

My initial goal when I started doing DIY was to build a huge Moog-style modular synthesizer from scratch, but I'm interested in everything from tube guitar amps to studio gear.
I will probably develop my own synth modules, based on vintage schematics - so why not sell some DIY kits/synth cabs to fund it.

Don't want to deviate too much, but I know you like the tweed sound & look.  I invented a single ended amp that is in Layman's terms: a tweed champ with a distortion knob.  It has two 9 pin tubes, one being an ef86. *pentode-triode gain knob ala Merlin Blencowe, 500k pot then 1/2 12ax7 and so on like 5f1*  aaaand it fits on the champ sardine can.

I have been wanting for the past year, to start a thread and really get the big guns involved and we make a kit/ group effort project. Mic-ing a small amp that can overdrive is such a killer "cut through the mix" plug and play/no pedals tool for recording.  I would want to post a bunch of clips.  I need to select a nicer ef86 though cause it rings a little... Also, it mounts on the side wall and I don't like that, going to diy an enclosed shock mounted box that let's it hang in there vertically.

someday!!

take care :)

andyfromdenver said:
Don't want to deviate too much, but I know you like the tweed sound & look.  I invented a single ended amp that is in Layman's terms: a tweed champ with a distortion knob.  It has two 9 pin tubes, one being an ef86. *pentode-triode gain knob ala Merlin Blencowe, 500k pot then 1/2 12ax7 and so on like 5f1*  aaaand it fits on the champ sardine can.

I have been wanting for the past year, to start a thread and really get the big guns involved and we make a kit/ group effort project. Mic-ing a small amp that can overdrive is such a killer "cut through the mix" plug and play/no pedals tool for recording.  I would want to post a bunch of clips.  I need to select a nicer ef86 though cause it rings a little... Also, it mounts on the side wall and I don't like that, going to diy an enclosed shock mounted box that let's it hang in there vertically.

someday!!

take care :)

The champ already has a distortion knob - it's called volume  ;D Anyway, that's what I like about tweed guitar amps - you leave the knobs alone, and control the sound with your playing. Less is more...
But I was considering making my own early-tweed inspired amp, but with more tone control, just as an experiment.

My favorite amp is 5f2a Tweed  Princeton - it's basically a champ, but with tone control and dedicated on/off switch. I made a custom 12 inch combo for myself, with an aged look.

nx76fq.jpg

2wpuixh.jpg

If you need any help, let me know. 

Anthon said:
The champ already has a distortion knob - it's called volume  ;D Anyway, that's what I like about tweed guitar amps - you leave the knobs alone, and control the sound with your playing. Less is more...
But I was considering making my own early-tweed inspired amp, but with more tone control, just as an experiment.

My favorite amp is 5f2a Tweed  Princeton - it's basically a champ, but with tone control and dedicated on/off switch. I made a custom 12 inch combo for myself, with an aged look.

nx76fq.jpg

2wpuixh.jpg

If you need any help, let me know.

very nice!

Latest posts

Back