EasyEDA questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Multiband Opto Compressor ? :unsure:
Ha ha, creative idea (y) , but no, it's much more trivial. It's an stupid attempt to build a low voltage/current version of a Magic Eye. The yellow (actually amber) and red LED groups can each be controlled/dimmed independently. This is essentially a "fancy" status indicator for a DIY FX device.
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 23-05-49 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...png
Eye-of-Sauron-740x370.jpeg
I started my career a long time ago as a lighting man/designer in the theater. :cool:

[a Groupdiy library of typical ‘audio’ components/footprints would be useful / Regardless how many library parts a program has, a great deal will be obsolete] -- While this is certainly a "noble" comment.....based upon the many PCB-layouts and GERBER files I have seen on this forum.....I, personally, wouldn't trust any libraries made by the members on here!!! Maybe as a "starter" file, perhaps, but certainly not to be used "as is". Or, maybe "it's just me

I’m going to set you a challenge.

There are many well documented projects on here. Why don’t you take one and redesign the pcb and tell us the pros and cons of the original design whilst simultaneously telling us the benefits of your new improved version.

If you can do that, then I will post one of my own eda pcbs for critique and will happily be schooled.

Thanks to everyone who pointed out the huge display of mouse position on the screen :mad:

I have been messing around with symbols and footprints this evening. It turns out that the pin numbering on the included 32 way DIN connector was wrong so I have corrected it on my version. I also pulled up the include footprint for the 3 way Molex connectors I use. First it turns out that all pads are the same size/shape so the only way you know where pin 1 is is by clicking on each pin in turn. So I modified the footprint to place a square pad on pin which is the standard I use. Then I discovered that their pin numbering was opposite to mine so I had to change that as well.

Then I went on to manual routing. It works very well. It is easy to select a pin and move to the end of the trace. It was after doing this I discovered the tracks were too thin. It turns out there are several places where you can change the width of a trace. I am not sure yet if they are all identical and still a little confused about how they work. Having routed a track, in my old EDA you could select a segment and a right click menu would allow you to change the width of the segment, the trace or the entire net. The screen updated immediately. But in EasyEDA, selecting a track, right clicking it, selecting properties and editing the track width followed by update does nothing at all. But after further experimentation sometimes it does. Other times you can use the track properties dialog to change track width. Sometimes this works and other times it does not. I tried double clicking the track and sometimes that worked sometimes not. One time I somehow got it to change the width of just half the trace. I am getting confused now and it;'s getting late do I will try again tomorrow.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks to everyone who pointed out the huge display of mouse position on the screen :mad:

I have been messing around with symbols and footprints this evening. It turns out that the pin numbering on the included 32 way DIN connector was wrong so I have corrected it on my version. I also pulled up the include footprint for the 3 way Molex connectors I use. First it turns out that all pads are the same size/shape so the only way you know where pin 1 is is by clicking on each pin in turn. So I modified the footprint to place a square pad on pin which is the standard I use. Then I discovered that their pin numbering was opposite to mine so I had to change that as well.

Then I went on to manual routing. It works very well. It is easy to select a pin and move to the end of the trace. It was after doing this I discovered the tracks were too thin. It turns out there are several places where you can change the width of a trace. I am not sure yet if they are all identical and still a little confused about how they work. Having routed a track, in my old EDA you could select a segment and a right click menu would allow you to change the width of the segment, the trace or the entire net. The screen updated immediately. But in EasyEDA, selecting a track, right clicking it, selecting properties and editing the track width followed by update does nothing at all. But after further experimentation sometimes it does. Other times you can use the track properties dialog to change track width. Sometimes this works and other times it does not. I tried double clicking the track and sometimes that worked sometimes not. One time I somehow got it to change the width of just half the trace. I am getting confused now and it;'s getting late do I will try again tomorrow.

Cheers

Ian
This also is easier in the side window. If selecting multiple tracks, just change the width for tall of them at the same time with the width parameter. This also works for 1 track. And saves a lot of clicks

Attachments

• Scherm­afbeelding 2024-03-30 om 04.34.48.png
    Scherm­afbeelding 2024-03-30 om 04.34.48.png
    339.8 KB · Views: 0
OK so I am making some good progress now; concentrating on schematics at this point. One thing I cannot seem to find any info on is how to create your own library or libraries. I created my own version of the symbol for an NKK 12 way rotary switch and when I saved it I noticed you could include tags so I added rotary and switch. Now when I I look in the library and select "Workplace" I see there is now an entry under my libraries called switch,rotary but none of the untagged parts I have created appear. So is tags the key to creating my own libraries. Is this documented anywhere?

Cheers

ian

One last? question. Currently I am using the STD edition. Is the PRO edition any better/easier to use?
I tried the Pro version about 1.5 years ago, and at that time (Pro was quite new) I didn't see any decisive advantages over the normal version.

But that may have changed...

I'll have a look at your question about the libraries this evening.

Unfortunately that video only shows how to make a custom symbol and footprint. What I want is to be able to gather together all my own parts into a library that I can select instead of having to wade through the reams of parts in the standard libraries every time I start a new project. Unfortunately the video mistakenly calls a symbol a library which it is not. The only way I have found of doing that so far is by giving them unique tags.

It is really strange to have to ask this question because every other EDA program I have tried has this feature built in

Cheers

Ian

What I want is to be able to gather together all my own parts into a library that I can select instead of having to wade through the reams of parts in the standard libraries every time I start a new project.
It seems that all self-created components and footprints end up in the workspace, but since I don't use these functions, as I said, I can't help you any further. Sorry.

I have not succeeded in saving a test object elsewhere. But it must be possible somehow, as I can also load the libraries and components of other users.

It seems that all self-created components and footprints end up in the workspace, but since I don't use these functions, as I said, I can't help you any further. Sorry.

I have not succeeded in saving a test object elsewhere. But it must be possible somehow, as I can also load the libraries and components of other users.
OK, thanks for trying.

I am getting on quite well now with schematic capture. I must say the schematics it produces are very good looking.

Cheers

Ian

I have watched several different videos. Picked up some interesting titbits, for example the tab key can be used to bring up a dialogue box to change the width of a track or a line.

Also, in the library manager, you can add any part to your favourites which will then be available to any project - saves a lot of time repeatedly searching for the same parts.

Cheers

Ian

It has been a while and I think I have schematics cracked but PCBs and footprints are giving me the runaround When I create a footprint I don't worry too much about the underlying footprint. I sort that out when I do the PCB. But I am having lots of problems changing footprints. Because AesyEDA has not back annotation, I suspect it all has to be done from the schematic. So far I think I am confident in changing the underlying footprint. It certainly seems to be changed when I update the PCB. What I cannot seem to do is edit the footprint of a component already placed on the PCB. It is not clear to me if this should be done at the PCB or schematic level.

Cheers

Ian

I switches one project to pro to make curved traces like in old PCBs, it is not as free as in altium where you have a spline, on easy eda is more like different ratios. I noticed on the pro that you have more options for import and export. It was just one project so I did not went to deep on it.

What I cannot seem to do is edit the footprint of a component already placed on the PCB. It is not clear to me if this should be done at the PCB or schematic level.
Yes, it is relatively simple. I would do it on PCB level, there you can "ungroup" the footprint, make your changes and then group the footprint again. You can give the whole thing its own name. Any 3D model must then be reassigned, the old link is lost when "ungrouping".
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 14-59-06 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...png

Editing foot print at the PCB level is non standard. This can lead to problems, introducing too many variables. Footprints need to be tightly controlled, to match IPC standards, mfg drawings etc. Making good footprints is a key aspect of PCB design, better spend some time getting familiar with this.

Thank you for your advice

As already mentioned several times, I only work at PCB level in EasyEDA. Works perfectly for me, at home but also for external production. If you work for professional industry, defense or even (LOL) NASA, this is simply the wrong tool.

Editing foot print at the PCB level is non standard. This can lead to problems, introducing too many variables. Footprints need to be tightly controlled, to match IPC standards, mfg drawings etc. Making good footprints is a key aspect of PCB design, better spend some time getting familiar with this.
I agree 100% but in most cases, the 'standard' footprints for many of the components I use (like tube sockets for instance) are not 'good' footprints which is why I want to change them to make them better.

Cheers

Ian

I agree 100% but in most cases, the 'standard' footprints for many of the components I use (like tube sockets for instance) are not 'good' footprints which is why I want to change them to make them better.

Cheers

Ian
For sure, I end up editing every "standard" foot print I use, various assembly houses have process requirements that may need adjusting to avoid tombstones, whatnot.
Stock schematic symbols are often larger than necessary, or not very descriptive, so I ended up with large customized libraries.
Pete Millet has quite a few tube sockets in his libs, but I found some PCB noval ceramic thru hole sockets for which there was nothing, so I ended up making that too.

Latest posts

Back