EasyEDA questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I am assessing PCB EDA options (yet again) and my favourite at the moment is EasyEDA. I know there are quite a few users here so I thought I would ask a couple of questions.

First, when manually routing tracks I am used to a cross hair cursor with 45 degree cross hairs as well a vertical and horizontal. Is there any way to enable this in EasyEDA?

Secondly, I am puzzled by the need to save the project, then the schematic and then the PCB using save as. OK I can understand the project, but why the other two? I already managed to get the file system screwed up with my test project when the schematic went somewhere outside the project. This ought not to be possible.

Cheers

Ian

First, when manually routing tracks I am used to a cross hair cursor with 45 degree cross hairs as well a vertical and horizontal. Is there any way to enable this in EasyEDA?
I'm not sure if I understood your question correctly, but you can adjust the routing angle here. I use the "Free Angle" mode, but you can also set it to "Line 45 degrees" and "Line 90 degrees" and the same for arcs.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 07-03-50 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...png

The "Free Angel" mode is the most flexible because it can do all the intermediate angle steps besides the 45 and 90. This depends on the resolution of your grid as the cursor usually snaps to the grid, as long as it is enabled.

You reach this setting ("Canvas Properties") when nothing is selected, because the right window is context sensitive.

You only need "Save as" if you want to assign a new name (..or want to save to another project), otherwise the normal "Save" is sufficient. All render and output processes require "saved" projects with the latest, updated status. This is probably a security feature. "Save as" also makes it possible to save to other projects, so it is very flexible but also more cumbersome.

I haven't liked the file/asset management system in EasyEDA via the various modes so far. My solution for this is somewhat radical but very fast and without problems. I do not use the link between Schematic and PCB. I just create a PCB and do everything freehand there, no back and forth between schematic and PCB (and the components), just start painting the PCB.

For simple tube projects this is no problem at all, nothing is faster than that. But you shouldn't do real complex projects with this method.

As you can see here in this example, no schematic. It is only the PCB...I know, its kind of stupid, but super fast and no hassle.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 07-32-08 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...pngScreenshot 2024-03-25 at 07-31-43 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...png

Last edited:
For the saving issue, i just hit ctrl+s sometimes during drawing. Never need to save the project after it's made. But yes, starting a project with making a schematic and pcb, it's necessary to save to the project. A little bit annoying, but ok

But yes, starting a project with making a schematic and pcb, it's necessary to save to the project. A little bit annoying, but ok
For me, the most annoying part of working this way is that any subsequent changes to the components (i.e. footprints and 3D models) in PCB mode do not change the underlying schematic and cause problems between them.

This causes very time-consuming jumping between the different modes to fix that. That was too cumbersome for me (I'm probably just too stupid!), so I only start with a bare PCB and do without the binding to a schematic and its nets.

Thanks for the replies.

I need to investigate the file saving business some more. I am still confused by it.

Regarding the 45 degree tracks, I was not referring to setting the angle - I did not know you could do that. What I meant was the cursor you get on the screen when manually routing. It is a big cross with a vertical and a horizontal arm. The EDA I use at the moment has a similar cursor when routing but is also has armes at 45 degrees so o it is much easier to see where to change direction to hit a pin. I was wondering if it is possible to change this cursor.

Regarding the coupling of the schematic to the PCB, the way I work at the moment it to draw the schematic on paper and then layout the PCB. Back annotation takes place in my head! I was hoping a modern EDA would make it easier for me to create a good looking schematic and then transfer it directly to a PCB layout program. The huge problem I have with every other EDA I have tried is that the component libraries are incredibly cumbersome. They all contain a million alternatives for each component, most of them SMT which I don't need. It takes ages to draw a simple schematic. Which reminds me, is there a way in EasyEDA to turn off all the SMT components in the libraries?

Cheers

Ian

Regarding the 45 degree tracks, I was not referring to setting the angle - I did not know you could do that.
This is quite handy, you can also make curved tracks like I did here with my Skylark61 project. Edit: it's a small guitar amp with chassis-mounted tubes.
Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 09-55-32 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...pngScreenshot 2024-03-25 at 10-35-46 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...png
What I meant was the cursor you get on the screen when manually routing. It is a big cross with a vertical and a horizontal arm. The EDA I use at the moment has a similar cursor when routing but is also has armes at 45 degrees so o it is much easier to see where to change direction to hit a pin. I was wondering if it is possible to change this cursor.
Ahh, okay. I think this is not possible in EasyEDA. I have not yet seen a way to change the cursor.
Regarding the coupling of the schematic to the PCB, the way I work at the moment it to draw the schematic on paper and then layout the PCB. Back annotation takes place in my head!
That's exactly my approach.
I was hoping a modern EDA would make it easier for me to create a good looking schematic and then transfer it directly to a PCB layout program.
That's how it's meant to be and somehow it works. But, and this is a big but, things get very time consuming because of the way the schematic, the connection nets, footprints and 3D models interact with each other if you want to change something afterwards.

This is where EasyEDA (and other EDA programs) has real problems. The smallest changes made during design work cause a lot of headaches, at least for me. In the 3D world and especially in game design, complex assets and their interconnections are solved much better and more intuitively.

That's why I stick to my old way of working, because the effort is so much less and the process is really much faster. I'm aware that this is a bit of a Stone Age approach, but after a lot of consideration, it has worked for me to this day, which is certainly due to the manageable complexity of my projects.
The huge problem I have with every other EDA I have tried is that the component libraries are incredibly cumbersome. They all contain a million alternatives for each component, most of them SMT which I don't need.
Yes, I understand that very well. That's why, after some trial and error, I decided to use EasyEDA, because I was able to build up my own library of components, footprints and their 3D models very quickly.

Your way will be similar, you will use a very manageable number of conventional (old school) components. A few tube sockets, resistors, radial and axial capacitors, diodes and a few connection terminals, that's it.

This can be found (and adapted) within a few hours and saved in an extra folder or, like me, in a standard project in which all these components are located as a "starter environment". This allows you to see exactly what you are looking for and what you want to use, no cryptic library names that are lost in a thousand similar names. I then simply copy and paste what I need from this window into the current project window. EasyEDA is here very straightforward and fast, which is why I use it. Most of the time I don't even have to open the built-in component library, because I've already used almost everything I need and its waiting in my "starter environment". These components have all been tested and proven to work, no more headaches.
Which reminds me, is there a way in EasyEDA to turn off all the SMT components in the libraries?
Not that I'm aware of.

Last edited:
i dont think you can turn off libraries, but its easiest to just build your own libraries around the parts you tend to use in your designs.

also with regards to making changes, it seems the way to not break stuff is make the change in the schematic first, regardless of wether its a change to a net, a footprint, whatever, save, and then go to the pcb tab and press the update button to pull those changes forward without too much fuss.

I am making a little progress. I discovered that by using the EasyEDA Common Library I can drop common parts easily on the schematic. which makes capturing the schematic a lot quicker.Then, before you start the PCB layout, you need to visit each component in turn and try to find the correct footprint for it. I tried this for a resistor. I wanted a 1/4W through hole resistor footprint but I could only find a 1/8W one when I searched footprints for 'resistor'. It is basic stuff like this that makes me dislike 'modern' EDA tools so much. One step forward, three steps back.

Edit: Doh, when you search for 'resistor' the only through hole option you get is 1/8W. When you search for 1/4W resistor, one magically appears. Ain't databases wonderful :(

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
It now looks like EasyEDA does not support back annotation. In other words you cannot make a change to the PCB that would affect the schematic and have it propagated back to the schematic. It only supports forward annotation so any changes you make (including footprint changes) have to be made first on the schematic and then propagated forwards to the PCB.

I can live with that. Bit of a kludge but not too hard to remember.

Cheers

Ian

I have now managed to get the footprint for the 2 pin Molex headers I use. To get it I had to go to my Farnell order history, find where I had ordered some, open the order and copy the Molex part number and insert that into the footprint search field. That found it OK but then I discovered that they don't have a special pad to designate pin 1 (they are all the same) and also their pin refs are the opposite to mine.

Ho hum

Ian

It now looks like EasyEDA does not support back annotation. In other words you cannot make a change to the PCB that would affect the schematic and have it propagated back to the schematic. It only supports forward annotation so any changes you make (including footprint changes) have to be made first on the schematic and then propagated forwards to the PCB.
I knew that, of course.
also with regards to making changes, it seems the way to not break stuff is make the change in the schematic first, regardless of wether its a change to a net, a footprint, whatever, save, and then go to the pcb tab and press the update button to pull those changes forward without too much fuss.
That's exactly how it works! That seems logical at first, but if you see in the 3D view, for example, that two components are too close to each other or other parameters don't fit, then you need to run through the entire process chain.

From the beginning, i.e. changing the schematic (without a preview option, of course...), saving it, changing the mesh, saving it, possibly relinking the 3D model, etc. and then realizing that something doesn't quite fit. You guessed it, it starts all over again...somehow not so logical and, above all, very time-consuming.:geek:

I like it quick and dirty...as I said my projects are rather small and straightforward. With my stone age method I draw the PCB much faster directly, bet? :cool:

Of course I don't want to influence anyone to do the same, these are just my thoughts and conclusions.

Many people get on very well with the EasyEDA process chain and from a certain level of complexity it is probably better to do it as planned.

Some of my projects:

Soul Reverb + PSU
Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 10-51-38 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...png
Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 10-52-42 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...png
more PSUs, my real passion 😂
Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 10-54-41 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...pngScreenshot 2024-03-26 at 10-55-00 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...png
Gates SA70 + PSU
Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 11-05-19 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...pngScreenshot 2024-03-26 at 11-05-55 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...png
Gates SA70 with 6AK5W
Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 11-11-19 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...pngScreenshot 2024-03-26 at 11-11-53 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...pngScreenshot 2024-03-26 at 11-13-21 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...pngScreenshot 2024-03-26 at 11-13-48 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...png

Last edited:
I also have a question, maybe someone can help me?

Sometimes, as in the following example, I want to produce a standard 160x100 Euroboard with two identical designs at once. I am self etcher.
Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 11-11-19 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...png

At the end I duplicate the created design (to use the whole PCB), but this has the consequence that the auto-naming of the components is continued. R1 then becomes the next free number such as R11, which applies to all components, which is stupid. Since recently I have also been printing the components side and then this becomes a problem.

I could solve this externally with an image editing program, but I would prefer to do it in EasyEDA.

How does that work? How can I clone a design on a board so that the component naming remains the same? That has to work somehow? I'm certainly not the first person to want to do something like this.

Last edited:
I also have a question, maybe someone can help me?

Sometimes, as in the following example, I want to produce a standard 160x100 Euroboard with two identical designs at once. I am self etcher.
You can panelize a design. Go to the top bar, under Tools->Panelize... There is a menu where you can say whether you want it done by V cut or holes, and all of the options associated with it. Easy.

Isn't this effectively panelization. There ought to be a facility in the Gerber creation menus for this.
Thanks for the keyword "panelization", that helps a lot. (y) I can find a lot about this on the WWW.

I don't use the whole Gerber thing yet, as I'm a self etcher.

You can panelize a design. Go to the top bar, under Tools->Panelize... There is a menu where you can say whether you want it done by V cut or holes, and all of the options associated with it. Easy.
Just discovered! Thank you very much, very promising!(y)

I just noticed in a tutorial video on YouTube that each entry in the Common Library has a drop down menu of different footprints for each common component. I almost missed it because the guy was selecting and placing components almost faster than the eye can see. Why is this not emphasised right at the beginning of tutorials. It is such a basic need when drawing a schematic? All the basic components default to SMT footprints so if you need leaded ones you are stunped until you twig this feature. Now I can select 3mm or 5mm through hole LEDs in red, green or blue, but strangely orange is not included.

Cheers

Ian

I just noticed in a tutorial video on YouTube that each entry in the Common Library has a drop down menu of different footprints for each common component. I almost missed it because the guy was selecting and placing components almost faster than the eye can see. Why is this not emphasised right at the beginning of tutorials. It is such a basic need when drawing a schematic?
Can you please post the link to that video here?

Latest posts

Back