Ela-M 251 Body from Aliexpress

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great find!!
Again, I don't check the site often, shame on me!!!
but does anyone know of an unpopulated pcb that fits this body and the rails???...I
have a DIY "251" in a C12 length and diameter body...I'm sure that the body and headbasket dimensions were some part of the overall sound of the original Ela M251......

Great find!!
Again, I don't check the site often, shame on me!!!
but does anyone know of an unpopulated pcb that fits this body and the rails???...I
have a DIY "251" in a C12 length and diameter body...I'm sure that the body and headbasket dimensions were some part of the overall sound of the original Ela M251......
If you take a look, this and similar schematics are so simple i don't think anyone really needs a premade PCB. Point to point would be piece of cake. I will take acrylic p2p road. I even think about making 3d printed transparent inner "case". And the absolutely obligatory "dome" under the capsule. I have proven by many measurements, everything in headbasket affects the sound and not by a small margin. There should be absolutely no resonance or ring to the body with elam 251.

It is a microphone body. You supply the capsule, circuit boards and everything else that will turn it into a working microphone.
Oh, So three parts make up a car microphone. We are not able to supply the capsule. But we can produce the circuit board. ^_^

Looks like some here already made C12/elam251/g7 pcb that will fit in there .
@mihi_fuchs can you confirm it?
Cheers

Hi,

I only got C12 and ElaM251 boards. Here you can find the Dimensions:
Tube_Mic_PCB_Dimensions.jpg
But adopting the PCB to other dimensions is not a real big deal, if enough people are interested.
I adopted recently to Igor's UTM transformers. Makes the PCB a bit longer (110 mm instead 96 mm, so no place for the can, which comes with the SCT700 ...

Hope that helps,
Best regards,
Michael

I need to house a rather large old electron tube - 50.5mm Dia and 137mm Length: Would this fit in there? Mostly worried about the 50.5mm dia..

Last edited:
C3C - electrometer frontend pentode, grid-on-top. I'm expecting this one to be interesting..

reichelt has them
Ahh, a Poströhre! I have also thought about these and its siblings/successors like C3g/C3m. Very interesting, the separated grid on the top is a plus for mic application!

I'm afraid with socket a little too fat for this body, right? We will see. In any case interesting.

Last edited:
That would be sweet
Hi,

I only got C12 and ElaM251 boards. Here you can find the Dimensions:
View attachment 111368
But adopting the PCB to other dimensions is not a real big deal, if enough people are interested.
I adopted recently to Igor's UTM transformers. Makes the PCB a bit longer (110 mm instead 96 mm, so no place for the can, which comes with the SCT700 ...

Hope that helps,
Best regards,
Michael

:D

Nice find @kingkorg
This is quite a bit shorter than a HT11a donor body (here the internal height = 125mm vs ~148mm in HT11a), so I would not be confident of chunger's C12 pub fitting in there with enough space for the transformer.
Looks like there is space diameter-wise to fit @Moby's chunky V2425 transformers though, so I might pick up a pair of these for building something around those.
Probably yes, and it can be interesting microphone. SM204 inside the 251 body. Sounds great!

Damn. Looks like I'll be selling my micparts V251 and build me a more historically/sonically correct P2P 251 clone. Already have a 5*GE and Moby's T14/1, and with the prospect of new CK12s coming out "soon", I'm gonna have fun with this one.

C3C tube is almost 6 inches high ,
The would be some monster ,

C3G I have used , but never in a tube mic ,
they tend to be a bit microphonic so some kind of antivibration mounting would be nessesary , quietness with high grid resistances Im also not sure about .
I havent found much info about the c3g usage , a few broadcast style osciilators use it and other lab grade audio test gear mainly ,
You do see it strapped as triode also ,
Again I never tried it in any tube mic type circuit so I dont know how it sounds with lower plate voltages , In the circuit I used it it was max maximum plate volts and current and the thing runs way to hot to be confined in a tube mic .

Last edited:
looks like it has an internal screen of some sort,
Electrical performance might well end up being satisfactory but microphonically its unlikely to be much good unless thats the desired effect ,
At 8.95 euro for what looks like very good examples its worth a look ,
the usual bakelite base will cost you a bit more space also ,
you'd be lucky if you have any space left for a transformer ,

1691149029555.png

Attachments

• 1691148831599.png
    1691148831599.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back